Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

If we manage to get everyone fully fit we'll be spoiled for choice in the back five of the pack so touch wood.

He had quite a good game to be fair. If I were being critical I'd say that he should have put Patterson away for the try but given the night that was in it and his performance as captain I think he did well.

He's definitely coming under a lot more pressure in the scrum alright. It'll be interesting to see the pecking order at loosehead by the season's end. If I were to guess I'd say Kilcoyne might find himself as our third choice. Wycherley is already as effective around the park (if not more so) and even though he's not there yet as a scrummager he has plenty of potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Really felt like a Southern Hemisphere summer tour match tonight, somewhere like New Zealand.

The combination of the floodlights, terrible weather, packed house, layout of PUC....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Wycherley definitely seems a better handler around the park (the pick up vs Toulouse, I’m not sure Kilcoyne could’ve managed) and we’ve seen Josh sort scrum issues at HT vs Clermont.

He could possibly do with adding a little weight (like Barron seems to have done since last season) but he’s plenty young. Another exciting prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

You can only hope that Salanoa/Knox/Wycherley/Loughman push on but are they really top players. I don't know. If they can scrummage against the very best and don't make errors you would be happy but have to wait and see if they can step up to the top level.

I'd agree they really need game time. Tonight was probably Wycherley's first big game since the away game against Clermont and tonight will certainly benefit them. A big game in front of a big crowd. Hopefully they can push on now as they have a big challenge in the league with so many teams competing for those Champions Cup spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Just home from it, that was great fun. Was not expecting that amount of tries in those conditions, the rain was pretty bad.

Delighted for Healy, he needed a big game to remind us what he can do. Shane Daly too, looked very sharp. How exciting is Edogbo, only 19 and is not only not-looking-out-of-place but is seriously putting a hand up for more minutes. Very bright future. Haley was excellent too, composure personified (not sure about the try though!). Scannell looked very good too at 12.

In terms of the atmosphere - it was great when it got going but I'll be honest there were plenty of lulls throughout too. It was a good atmosphere but nothing to make me think we have to move matches to this place. Too far from the pitch, screen there is awful small too. But nice to know it's an option now. Great to see it sold out.

There's a potentially very good team coming down the tracks if the coaching/injury/reaching potential aspect of things work out. Wycherley, Barron, Salanoa, Knox, Edogbo, Aherne, Kendellen, Hodnett, Coombes, Casey, Patterson, Crowley, Healy is a lovely talent pool from 1-10 alone.

Can't wait to watch it back.

Tonight was probably Wycherley's first big game since the away game against Clermont

He started vs Toulouse last season also, albeit the scrum was in trouble that day.

It’ll be very interesting to see how things play out in the front row for the rest of the season now tho. We potentially have an entirely new first choice front row.

That pickup was class alright. I remember being at the game convinced we had knocked it on.

The first scrum against Clermont had me genuinely worried for his safety but he shored it up well after that. He had a tough day against Toulouse as well. Still, he's just a baby as far as props are concerned so fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Expand the fan base??? 7 Cork players started for Munster tonight; Wycherley, Edogbo, Hodnett, Coombes, Scannell, Zebo and Daly. The rest of the team were 2 Tipp, 2 Brits, 1 Hawaiian, 1 Dub, 1 from Waterford and 1 Frenchman. Munster have been a Cork team for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭ersatz

I wonder how many people drive from Cork to Limerick for league matches, or how many kids take the bus? Having matches in Munster's largest city would definitely attract people who otherwise aren't attending. Fans who don't attend matches are less valuable to Muster than those who do and giving youngsters access to matches will definitely help build the sport. It's not a question of whether it's a good idea and would be effective, it's a question of whether it makes financial sense for the team. PUC has twice the capacity of Thomond so it seems like a no brainer to have a few big matches every year there.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,542 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

As a leinster fan, I'd much prefer to go to thomond for a game then PUC. Enough of a preference to actually put me off going to the game if it was on in PUC

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

maybe reward the fan base is a better word.

Its been too Limerick heavy for many years now.

Munster's strength against a Leinster or Ulslter is that it binds two cities. Two of Ireland's largest cities.

For all of Leinster's spiel about lads coming from Wicklow, Louth etc alot of them still went to the traditional D4 schools centered in one city.

Its time for Munster to truly embrace a two city province. And the training bases wasn't the way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,941 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

seems like a no brainer to have a few big matches every year there.

It's a great option to have but realistically, one big game every few years will be the max

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CONSI

Munster have commitments to season ticket holders, 10 year season ticket holders and corporate sponsors that mean that they are unlikely to move the 3 games a year that would be sell outs to another stadium..Game v Leinster and the 2 gauranteed european games are all that sell out...quarter finals on are not always gauranteed..while last night was a great occassion its not going to be commercially viable to move all "big" games to Cork. Thomond has a capacity of 25,600, which they up some times for "big" games. Last night was a sell out at 41k so an increase of 14k...when you take renting the ground out how much are Munster making. The Aviva holds 52k and you can be sure the IRFU are giving better rates so if its purely a money argument then we should move all big games to Dublin. I dont think Munster would get 41k for a URC home game v Cardiff for example so we need to be careful that we dont jump on the Cork bandwagon when we already have 2 stadiums in place with Thomond and Musgrave. I have friends who were at the game last night because it was an occassion but they will never be in musgrave on a wet friday night, so building the fan base isnt an arguement either.

The reality of the stadium capacities of Thomond and Musgrave mean things are unlikely to change significantly, at least in the short-to-medium term imo.

But if there's an option to have a Euro SF there, and it makes financial sense, then I'm all for it (not least because it means Munster are in a Euro SF).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think Munster in the Páirc works and can see Munster using it again. My tickets in section 409 were on the try line but we had a great view of all the pitch. I there's a few issues that would need to reviewed/resolved if we're using it again - why no P&R to the ground, I saw some people struggle with the long walk to/from the ground. Catering didn't seemed to be prepared for the crowd, the big screen was tiny, close to useless. Very few flags provided by MRSC, I know this was notified in advance but I think we missed an opportunity to have a mass of red flags flying when the team ran to Zombie.

Cork city businesses seemed to miss that most of the crowd would be returning to the city for food afterwards, McDs near MQ was closed, McDs down at the end of Oliver Plunkett street was takeaway only which meant Burger King had a queue out the door.

The queue to the pay machine in Q Park at City Hall was over 100m when we arrived with little or no movement. We left it and walked into town for food.

Usually after a 19:30 kick off in Musgrave Park I'm home by about midnight, that includes stopping for fast food but last night it was just before 2am before I got home.

Had a quick look again at the team, and it was obvious it was pretty callow, but even still, impressive stuff from them:

• Patterson:   4th start
    • Frisch:       1st start for Munster
    • Wycherly    14th start
    • Barron       13th start
    • Edogbo:      3rd start
    • McDonald:   1st start for Munster
    • Hodnett:    15th start

• Knox:       10 starts
    • O'Connor   11 starts
    • Hurley       1 start
    • Kendellen   12 starts
    • Campbell    5 start

And as an aside, I'd say Calvin Nash is disappointed he wasn't released back for that, given he didn't make the 23 for the Fiji game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭snotboogie

On the examiner this morning they said capacity was at 41k as a precaution because it was the first rugby match there. Future games will likely have a capacity of 45k.

Back-of-the-napkin maths, but that could make a difference. 3,600 more at, say, 30 quid a pop is over 100k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

For me, PUC is ideal for champions cup knockout games. I'm from Cork so some bias there! But I will admit that Cork is a nightmare traffic wise and PUC is not the most accessible. It's a great stadium though once you're inside

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yeah I think there are a lot of positive signs, that there is a gameplan forming. Defence is usually the first part to click. I still think it will be the new year before we can really judge the new setup properly though. Much more positive than the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,104 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

There's no perfect place to have a stadium. Too far away from the city and everybody has to drive home, too central and it causes gridlock. Somewhere in between is the worst of both worlds

It's not ideal but I wouldn't let PUCs location put me off attending, it's no worse than Landsdowne Road in my mind

Would we really get agreement from EPCR, IRFU and GAA for a semi final?

EPCR - Yeah proably

IRFU - Would likely prefer to see Landsdowne being used

GAA - 2023 Munster Hurling Championship is April to July, EPCR Semis are 28/29/30 April so the GAA are probably not interested either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Only caught the end of this match but Munster looked a transformed team. Worthy and deserving winners. Maybe this will kickstart their season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Ah puc is way worse than aviva

Aviva at least has dart on its door. You are right about Munster hurling dates not lining up for rugby in pairs after mid April

• Registered Users Posts: 9,104 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Good point but to get to the dart from the west is hassle in itself

• Subscribers Posts: 41,542 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

heuston red line to the point and a 10 minute walk to the aviva.

alternatively drive in to portmarnock station and get the dart to the door

coming up from cork / limerick then drive to monkstown and salthill dart station

• Registered Users Posts: 5,941 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Definitely looked like a team who'd had a fire lit under them. Connacht at home in a couple of weeks, then Edinburgh away, before Toulouse at home. Get good momentum going when the internationals are back and that Toulouse game is very winnable.

On the slightly negative side, Coombes was one man who I thought didn't play like he had a point to prove last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭Serbian

Salanoa too. I think that was his second start in his entire rugby career, and he has never started in a competitive match (his only previous start was for Emerging Ireland).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Wasnt at the game, but any pics I saw on social media from the crowd, the pitch looked miles away, hated game in Croke Park for that reason.

What was it like in person?

One Person I know who went had a railing in is way that blocked the view of most of the pitch and anothers' seat didnt exist when he got there. there was a pillar there instead

Advertisement