Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

Its often appropriate to question the lack of willingness to do “things” - and in the example of recent Newbridge protests I would agree that those were pure NIMBY ism- but pragmatism also needs to be taken into account and dumping dozens of people in a small village with no amenities is not a pragmatic solution - it’s just daft. And I’m sure a logical German would be in agreement with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭monseiur

As I'm sure you appreciate 95% of the activities of MOD, MI5, MI6, Immigration etc in UK and elsewhere is not broadcast in the media, it's mostly covert, hush hush kept under wraps. In fact it could be argued that a high % of the info these departments and others release to the media is partly the figment of some civil servant/media handler's imagination to keep the baying hounds of the media off their backs.

Officials from immigration don't hand out ferry or plane tickets to illegal migrants, their tactics are a little more subtle. Immigration officials, sometimes with the help of interpreters, paint a grim picture for migrants should they decide to stay in UK, possible long term imprisonment and/or deportation to Rwanda plays a big part in that picture. They are also informed of other options available to them like moving to 3rd countries within EU and their rights in these countries. Ireland as an english speaking country and due to it's close proximity gets pushed to the top. Some having just traveled from France would not find the prospect of returning there not so attractive.

Some migrants, being left with, basically, Hobson's choice decide to move on but 'request' some financial help to purchase train, ferry, plane tickets, food etc. ............Immigration dept. have funds available to provide financial assistance to migrants who apply for such assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Damien360

I live in Newbridge. It was far from NIMBY. The site was totally inappropriate, a swamp. The housing estate it was being lumped into is seriously deprived and lacks facilities of any description. I’m guessing you are not from anywhere close ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

They are up for sale again for 2 million but they are not going to be for the usage of refugees/fake refugees. Everyone knows how the Irish government operate. They dump these people onto rural villages and tell locals that these refugees/fake refugees are only going to be there for the short term. Then short term becomes permanent and the problems are left for the locals to deal with. The reality is that nobody wants this on their doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'm sure they will be snapped up. 👍️

Turns out they don't actually have planning permission to be actual holiday cottages. May be a problem. Who knows.

The 12 cottages are for sale but due to an oversight in the planning permission granted in 1970 the holiday cottages were listed as 'cottages' instead of 'holiday cottages'

Sounds legally complicated.

• Advertisement

Whilst I don’t think the proposal was perfect in any way, I don’t think the challenges were insurmountable- there’s no “perfect” place to put 60k Ukrainian refugees fleeing a war, in Ireland - there’s places which with, a bit of work and effort, could be sorted at least to a satisfactory standard for the next while and there’s places that are just daft- I think Newbridge is in the former .

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭MagicJohn

Modular homes on the vast grounds of RTE would be an excellent site.

Now is their time to lead by example.

You never know, we could have some fresh talent from Ukraine like this lady!

Don't tell me RTE couldn't do with a bit of a shake up.

Asylum accommodation opened up 5 minutes away from my house, a few years ago I genuinely haven't noticed anything negative in the area or had my access to services like my GP be affected. The major difference is that I live in a city centre not a small town. adding 80 people to the population here isn't going to overwhelm schools or GPs. Likewise with other areas we weren't consulted, it would have been nice if there had been some outreach but it wasn't essential there was no impact, I wouldn't feel the same in a small town or even in a big town if the cumulative number was significant.

The pushing of the idea of anyone objecting to anything is a NIMBY has been very successful spin by developers and others who don't want to follow the existing laws and want to make those laws more lax going forward.

The developers don't have to deal with the fall out of what happens to an area with inappropriate development because they'll be on to the next project. They've been very successful at getting people to parrot the idea of objection is always NIMBYism, the same people who do that will also claim that any poor behaviour in an an area is the result of not enough services being available in that area but will criticise anyone who brings up the lack of services at the planning stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Greyfox

We are not saying all objectives are NIMBY, just stating the absolute fact that lots of objections are NIMBYS. If politicians actually cared about young people they would do something to stop the many objections to building for silly reasons.

I would consider a silly objection to be one that has no basis in law or policy. That kind of objection would not be allowed by Councils, ABP or the Courts. I would consider a non silly objection to be any one that has a basis in law or policy.

If someone objects on the basis that they don't want any building in their area, that is not a valid objection. If someone objects because the density of the building is more than is allowed under the local development plan then that is a valid objection. I would consider only the person in the former scenario to be a NIMBY but plenty of people would consider both people who object to be NIMBYs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

You should have to be from the area for a start. Serial objectors from certain parts of the country should get a slap.

If someone objects on the basis that they don't want any building in their area, that is not a valid objection

I actually disagree with this.

If a new development adversely effects what long term residents have become accustomed to, light, view, etc. Then it certainly should be a consideration in whether to grant planning or not.

Also disruption during what can be years of construction needs to be factored in.

I'm not saying all developments should be refused on this basis, but the rights and considerations of people who live there should absolutely be pumped into the equation.

The problem with councils is all too often they are stamping the forms on the basis of what they will recoup in development fees, then you move onto a different body who lets just say may have to disbanded and started again in light of recent investigations.

People like you are the reason young people in this country are suffering. We desperately need to build lots a homes asap, we are in a genuine emergency situation. For genuine reasons of course planning needs to be rejected. But rejections for silly things like a small traffic increase, not enough parking, building design not matching surrounding architecture, loss of trees or minor noise issue should not be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

We need to build up rather than out. All along the docks should be high rise residential and the same should have happened as building started spreading outwards. Almost every other country in the world can do it, but not us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭monseiur

I know of 3 cases in north Mayo (relations of my OH) all were refused planning in the last 7 years on their family farm. Not one local objected but in each case the planning office received a thick file of over 80 objections, all bar 2 or 3 from outside Mayo. The vast majority were from the east of the country, including a handful from as far away as Wexford. All were objecting for more or less the same reason - that the development (a low roof bungalow in all cases) would be injurious to the scenic amenities of the area, in other words that it would spoil the view. Obviously it was an orchestrated campaign by people who may not have or ever will set foot in Mayo. Some of the objectors are known activists in green party, friends of the environment, Taisce and the likes.

I don't see how people like me are the reason that young people are suffering, I have never objected to any building project.

If you think I'm the problem because I support the right to object to planning in an area if there is an objection that is allowed under the law/policy, then I will fully take the mantle of being the problem. I believe in the right of people to be part of the planning process.

I understand you haven't objected yourself and I agree that people have the right to object. The issue is Ireland needs to change the law to make sure only reasonable objections can stop building.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

If they only need basic repair how do you know they will continue to be idle?

Basic repair for Refugees.

Anyway according to the go fund page they don't actually have planning permission to be holiday cottages.

So unless they are sold or planning is sought both which will take time, they will continue to be idle, unless you know different?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Homeless is simply not having a permanent place to live..Sleeping rough, staying in an emergency hostel or refuge, staying in bed and breakfast or hotel accommodation on a temporary basis..Staying temporarily with friends or family because you have nowhere else to go, squatting etc.. that’s all examples of homelessness.

• Advertisement

I don’t think there is even a grocery store there. Completely inappropriate to send that many refugees to a village of that size. Any refugees in fact…..you need to be able to buy a pint of milk locally at a minimum

You mean a forever home? Or do you class all people renting as homeless?

Not having one of those doesn't mean one is homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I think Dublin has the most Ukrainian refugees. Much more than any other county, the "holiday" counties are next, that's Kerry and Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Over 100 arrived here in the village where I live, they are staying in an old convent that used to belong to the nuns.

Just one shop here and no public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Why would planning be a block on them opening again after basic repairs for tourists?

If they have been operating since the 1970's I very much doubt the council would be too bothered if they continued to operate as holiday cottages even if it was pending planning retention.

If they only need basic repairs then they could be rented out as residential just as quick as for refugees I'd assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

A volunteering opportunity to capitalize on, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Beyond madness, but apparently having that view on here among a handful of posters labels you as a racist, xenophobe. Just shows the absolute clown world we're living in. No logic whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’m delighted to see this farce shown up for what it is- and what’s more the “government” now getting it in the neck (a stretch calling the EU /NGO box ticker council that I know) and allover the country too where they thought they could dump these migrants and the peasants wouldn’t notice or revolt. Was always a FG voter from a FG family of hundred years but that party is stone dead now. I’m sure there’s plenty like us too. Varadkar and co can have all the pats on the arse they want from master Ursula and every other NGO leech they answer to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That’s the native Irish taxpayers and pensioners you are thinking of- they’re laid on for the welfare migrants.

Advertisement