Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota bz4X

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭HTCJoeSoap

Reliability(?) ... an EV that just works and won't have the same range of issues, software etc that some of the other EV's have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

"Best" may be subjective, but in Ireland they have a brand reputation for being reasonably priced, mostly efficient and reliable. My previous three cars were all Toyota (Starlet, Prius, Auris) and were almost bulletproof in terms of reliability and affordability, with 20+ years of mostly hassle-free driving. I'd say that sort of record goes a long way in their favour in the collective consciousness.

Even though Toyota bet incorrectly on H2 cars and have essentially been stymying the adoption of EVs through misleading 'self-charging' marketing speak, through to openly anti-EV lobbying, the Irish market and probably many others will give them a bye because of past performance. They'll probably looks past the stats and see Toyota + EV = What I was looking for.

That being said, I think the bz4x is a halfway house, something to say that they are 'doing' EVs until they actually start properly doing EVs. I can see them being popular among those who might have considered a CH4 or Rav4, or perhaps as a taxi. They're not the prettiest vehicle, but aren't a Fiat Multipla or Nissan Kube by any stretch of the imagnation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

We can't say that the BZ will be reliable yet, especially given the issues with the wheels.

Judging by early reports (excluding the video posted yesterday) range is going to be an issue with the BZ as well. All EVs will see a reduction in range in winter months though so we won't get a true reflection of the BZ until the middle of next year.

We have no clue how the BZ software will work in the real world so far. Again it'll take time for user feedback to filter through.

Everything is hopes and guesses with the BZ yet. There's more mature EVs out there that offer a better product based on initial impressions but if the BZ comes out and blows those initial impressions out of the water then that's great news for potential EV buyers.

What really puts me off the look of the car is the massive black plastic sections over the wheel arches. They look absolutely awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Toyota are one of the only makes that slip under the required fleet CO2 emissions 95 g/km without BEV due to the hybrid while others needed to discontinue their diesels. This means that they have almost zero reason bringing on BEVs in next year or two. However from beginning of 2025 the limits get stricter again. For Toyota the less BZ4X are sold 2022-24 the better as the profit margins on hybrid is better.

Here's an new update this morning from the Elbil24 website - translated from Norweign:

Toyota bZ4X

Toyota responds to the criticism

Elbil24 did the test twice to be sure of the results. Here you can see Toyota's comments on Elbil24's test results.

DISAPPOINTED IN RANGE TEST: The Toyota bZ4X disappointed in Elbil24's range test, and now the car manufacturer has commented on the results. Photo: Fred Magne Skillebæk

Fred Magne Skillebæk

Friday 11 November 2022 - 11:52

(Elbil24): Recently, Elbil24 carried out our consumption and range tests of the Toyota bZ4X, a test which gave an unexpected result in the form of a very short range. We have subsequently been in contact with both Toyota Norway and Toyota Motor Europe, which in turn have been in dialogue with Toyota in Japan.

At the bottom of the case you will find an official statement in its entirety.

The test car

By way of clarification, we can add that the test car used, the actual car, was an Executive with 18-inch wheels. It has a WLTP range of 459 kilometers, to be exact.

Based on equipment, wheels and weight, almost every single car has its own WLTP figure, although Toyota uses "up to 470 kilometers" in communication, but this does not apply to the Executive edition.

Based on this, the test car has a stated WLTP consumption of 1.63 kWh/mile.

Respects the results

Toyota respects both the test and the results, but naturally has some input which they believe can explain some of the missing range, if we can call it that.

ELBIL24 PRO

E-tron, I-Pace or EQC? This is what the owners are most and least satisfied with

The whole mystery surrounding the range began when, before the test, we switched on the heater with the car's air conditioning. This resulted in a dramatic cut in estimated range, from 407 kilometers stated in the instruments, to 297 kilometers. In ECO position, this was adjusted up to 314 kilometres.

"Invisible" buffer at the bottom

Toyota also has the following information to provide in relation to the range:

After you have reached 0 kilometers in the instruments, there will still be a buffer at the bottom that can be used. They have included this to simulate how fossil cars work, with a kind of reserve tank.

On a perfect day, this buffer will be up to 8.2 per cent, but on a cold winter's day quite a bit less. Toyota has not come up with a figure for how far they estimate to be able to get with this buffer, nor how many kWh you have at your disposal, as it will be variable.

They are nevertheless clear that this buffer is so large that it will affect the range in a positive direction.

Calculating a result is rarely correct, but theoretically a buffer of 8.2 per cent would give us an additional 3 miles of range, if the consumption had been the same as for the rest of the trip. We would then end up with 348 kilometers as a result in our range test.

From our side, we must add that all electric cars have such a buffer, but Toyota believes that theirs is larger than normal.

Have shared results with Toyota

As of now, Toyota has no plans to change the methods for displaying range, and they are still clear that they want to use a buffer outside the specified range. As of today, they have no comment on the fact that it will cost a ten-mile range to set the air conditioning even on the first button, other than that they believe they have created a solution that is effective for the car.

At the same time, Toyota admits to being in a learning phase, and will constantly seek information that can contribute to creating better products. To give Toyota an indication of what the industry standard is, we have shared our range measurements from around 15 of Toyota's competitors.

This is what Elbil24 thinks

Elbil24 would like to clarify that we have never accused Toyota of spreading lies. However, we have said that we miss an honesty about actual consumption and range, and an openness about net battery capacity, something Toyota does not want to communicate. Of course, lack of transparency is not the same as lying.

Adding a buffer that is larger than the competitors' is naturally Toyota's choice. However, we do not agree that it is correct to communicate the remaining amount of energy in this way. Because after the instruments stop showing the remaining range, you are left to your own devices, and in practice drive blind as far as range is concerned.

Every owner of the car would prefer to avoid this, and anything that might lie as a buffer at the bottom is strictly speaking not usable, other than in emergencies. It is therefore the range shown by the instruments that becomes the car's actual perceived range.

The fact that in the old days there was a backup solution for fossil cars was due to the fact that analogue instruments were used to show the results of what a mechanical sieve in the tank thought was the correct remaining content. This left room for large margins of error, and the manufacturers had to secure themselves with a large buffer.

The same does not apply today. An electric car can in practice show exact numbers and measurements, which Toyota's very precise display of both range and consumption are good examples of. Most other manufacturers then also choose to use the option of providing more precise information to the driver all the way to the bottom, and we currently do not know of any other supplier that uses the same philosophy as Toyota in stating the range.

In any case, Toyota has to do what they think is right here, and the customers have to choose whether they like it or not.

We are not supposed to be judges of a car manufacturer's choices and methods, but we test the final product and report. Should the mentioned buffer give an additional range of 3 miles, then as I said, we have a new theoretical range of 348 kilometers, but even this constitutes by a good margin the largest discrepancy between stated and actual range that we have ever tested under the prevailing temperature- and driving conditions.

We will do more tests

Elbil24 has agreed with Toyota that we will set up a new test where we will possibly bring several cars to do various tests, also including this range. Toyota will also be involved when the test is carried out, among other things to learn from what is being done. In any case, our test procedures are to be used.

The continuation of this saga will therefore be that Elbil24 will carry out new tests with representatives from Toyota present. The procedures will be as we have always done them, but with a few more cars, where some also drive until they stop.

We do not expect any significant change in the result, but can confirm what we have already done several times, and that we will end up with concrete figures, including the buffer.

Therefore, stay tuned and be enlightened.

Toyota has made an official statement in connection with our range test, and we have chosen to attach this statement in its entirety:

Toyota's comments related to the range test from Elbil24:

At Toyota, we value our customers' feedback. The concerns related to the range and consumption discussed in the Elbil24 article have been given the highest priority.

Actual range is affected by several different factors. Alongside the battery capacity and the battery's charge from regeneration, the use of the air conditioning, as well as external factors such as the outside temperature, will also affect the consumption and available range.

We would also like to point out that Toyota has a policy of specifying the range as accurately as possible regardless of whether the car runs on petrol or electricity, by taking into account the external factors such as outside temperature and use of the air conditioning with different temperature settings, as mentioned in the article.

At the same time, for the bZ4X, as for other Toyota models, there is also a range buffer, which gives customers peace of mind if they find themselves in a situation with a stated range of 0 kilometers and no possibility to charge immediately. When the display shows 0 kilometer range on the bZ4X, the battery will have up to 8.2 percent remaining capacity. This value is indicative, and will vary up and down depending on many factors, and therefore it is also difficult to determine the number of available kilometers before the battery is completely empty. Before the battery is empty and the car comes to a complete stop, the performance and maximum speed will be reduced when the available battery capacity becomes critically low.

Toyota is known for its quality and reliability, which is continued with the bZ4X. The car's and battery's quality, durability and reliability are achieved through continuous monitoring and control of battery charging and consumption, as well as total utilized capacity. Thanks to these measures, we offer one million kilometers of extended battery safety, which guarantees the capacity throughout the first ten years of the car's life. This provides security for customers and benefits the environment.

We recognize the importance of balancing the electric car's performance, durability and reliability to deliver the best peace of mind to our customers. We will continue to provide necessary information and updates on this topic in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Too long to read,

This bit caught my eye and I believe it would appeal to a lot of folks

''Toyota is known for its quality and reliability, which is continued with the bZ4X. The car's and battery's quality, durability and reliability are achieved through continuous monitoring and control of battery charging and consumption, as well as total utilized capacity. Thanks to these measures, we offer one million kilometers of extended battery safety, which guarantees the capacity throughout the first ten years of the car's life. This provides security for customers and benefits the environment.''

Most will not care or worry about charging curves.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭society4

You were right HTCjoesoap…..been told March 2023….they must have just delivered a small quantity before Xmas and you were one of the lucky ones…….never thought I’d have to wait nearly a year ….

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

they said they look kindly on it….I’m taking that as a positive but who knows !

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭petronelduca

They have told me "we will work with you"

But at least, they confirmed the price will stay the same, even if the delivery is March 23

• Advertisement

Yes I got that assurance too..

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mooretaxi

Kanusseme

I've been watching the electric viking for some time now, i agree with your views, his biased evaluation or hate of everything other than Tesla or BYD (both of which he openly admits to being a share holder of) is starting to make me feel like I should long press the icon on his channel so that I can not have it recommended to me, however there are " some " of his videos that are educational, that is probably down to lack of information from a different source

That Electric Viking guy is such a moron, he has another anti-Toyota video out today on his YouTube channel about Toyota's solid state battery. There's a lot of exaggerated misinformation crap in his videos and he drives nuts with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Malone's Toyota in Drogheda had two sitting out front yesterday. A white one and a gray one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TomD1

I had a spin in a BZ last week in Toyota Longmile. I was very impressed with the performance & handling. My last two cars have been Lexus. Currently an IS300H & before that a IS250. The BZ had much better acceleration than either of those. Plenty of poke to get you out of trouble if required. I liked the finish which is a bit funky & probably not to everyone's taste. Happy that my iPhone 13 Pro Max fitted into the wireless charging dock. Switching on A/C dropped the range from 300K to 240K. Not sure how fully charged it was when I started.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,444 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's it exactly. They are trying to postpone producing BEVs for as long as possible as their "self charging" hybrids are far more profitable. They are still gambling on hydrogen though and maybe they have left going mainstream BEV and scooping up market share too late.

You can say a lot of bad things about the Electric Viking, he is very opinionated and is forever trying to find links and any evidence to support his own views. And he is evangelical about the transition to EVs, which makes him despise anyone lagging behind. Like Toyota. But he does a lot of research and I feel he might not be wrong about Toyota's future if they don't cop onto themselves really quickly. I said that years before he started his channel though 😂 Also when evidence changes, he has no problem accepting new facts, and changing his opinion. He has done so in his usual extreme swing style, only recently on the likes of VW, Ford, Xpeng and Nio (all from good to bad)

The Toyota Corolla, for years the world's best selling car, will no longer hold that title next year, could possibly even overtaken by much more expensive BEV cars, who knows even the Tesla Model Y costing more than twice as much.

So who's getting their BZ4X this month or in January ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Toyota are in real danger and will be in shambles if still around in a decade and not shifted away from ICE in the immediate near term

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I think it’s already too late for them…..

Almost all the other manufacturers are pushing out as many EV’s as they possibly can right now and it’s still not nearly enough!!!

Toyota aren’t suddenly gonna be able to go 100% BEV in the next what 13 years!!!

the only way they get a sliver of a hope is if the bz4x blows the competition out of the water…….. and I don’t see that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Redfox25

There is a sliver of hope for them in that a good few markets will still allow ICE cars after 2035 ish, but these will be lower margin markets outside of the EU, US and likely China too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

China are cracking down on emissions after years of their dirty factories pumping straight into the environment

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭creedp

China are cracking down on [tail pipe] emissions after years of their dirty factories pumping straight into the environment.

Dont think China could be considered to have morphed into an environmental darling for a little bit yet. Plenty of coal to burn first

• Registered Users Posts: 65,444 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Depends how you look at it. They are making all our stuff, of course they are going to have huge emissions. And to put your coal statement into perspective, China added more renewable energy to their grid last year than the rest of the world did together over the last 5 years. So yes, they are making huge environmental progress. While we in the west are basically sitting on our hands doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

While we in the west are basically sitting on our hands doing nothing.

and blaming it all on China

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭creedp

But sure if China are making all our stuff should we care so much🤔 Now I wonder how many foreign holidays will I take next year. I really like NZ wine, Argentinan beef and California OJ.

I always find that argument a bit weak because we in Ireland are crucified with carbon taxes and yet as you say we produce very little except for agri which we largely export.

Anyone get or is getting their car this month ?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

I stopped in at look at one today. It's a very impressive car. I was told that if I put down a deposit today it'll be late next year before I get it. I don't mind to be honest. Haven't made my mind up yet. I prefer it to the Ioniq 5 (and I drive a 2018 bev ioniq). I'll test drive it shortly. The salesman mentioned 430km as real life range, is this a fair assessment?

Real world range for winter is 300km's.

Summer range 400km - maybe 430km's on a good summers day.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭petronelduca

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Getting it in just before the Christmas travel spike too! If they were really aware that the news is "unwelcome" then they could have deferred the increase until after the Christmas/New Year break.

Advertisement