Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Friday apparentley

• 11-11-2022 10:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭

very quiet as in very little crazy bargains to be had,

looking for an android hone max 130 euro

or am I missing something?

sorry chinese 11.11 threw me!

Post edited by seanin4711 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,819 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's not for another 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,830 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Singles Day is so 2010s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Doodah7

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭seanin4711

jeez vicious on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭AngryLips

In fairness, Black Friday deals often start at the beginning of November these days and it's not uncommon for the offers to be left on right through to Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's marketting nonsense. Black Friday was originally an American sales event that takes placed the day after Thanskgiving Thursday. The Americans get some real bargains. Then retailers over this side of the Atlantic jumped on the band wagon but the realitiy is that bargains over here are nowhere near as super. Now Black Friday has been turned into a month long event or run up to Christmas to try and hype sales over a longer period for retailers. It has become just like another Harvey Norman sale now and bargains are even fewer and far between in these high inflation times. In alot of cases if you track prices of things you will find that may have been cheaper earlier in the year compared to during the Black Friday period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Really disappointing today. 'Site wide discounts' except the stuff people actually want is excluded but we'll reduce this tat that isn't selling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Love the "up to 50% off almost everything" line, what a pointless line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Sure when 'sales' are constant or 'Black Friday Month' in length, all of a sudden the 'sales' for Black Friday here don't seem to be good

Comparing it to the USA where it's a proper event is night-and-day. It's the same shite we always see here and in reality, no reason to splash the cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭antimatterx

This can't be legal. On November 11th I was looking for a Mac and went to the compub website. The Mac was €1106. There was no sale:

Today its being advertised as being on sale for €1106 reduced from €1200ish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Literally seeing this on every site I've looked at. In some cases it's more expensive than the regular price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭seanin4711

seems to be the black friday MO by a lot of retailers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,752 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hahaha, legal, in the marketing world, everything goes in that world!

Goods have to be on sale at the original pride for 28 days though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,752 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...and the marketing world doesnt care for such rules and laws....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭antomack

Was looking at Dell AW3821DW earlier this week and it was €824, today its €1,388. On sale in BF sale on Dell UK BF sale for £799 or Dell Germany for €899.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 xPrePF7z4jLy7M

Post edited by xPrePF7z4jLy7M on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,057 ✭✭✭✭event

Yeah its not legal and yeah you can file a complaint/take them to court. But what will that achieve really?

Big massive retailers are not going to suddenly lose a fortune cos of BF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

57 items in my Amazon basket, about half of them are currently unavailable and the other half havent got a single discount between them, its a complete waste of time. Was wanting to buy a food processor but the model I want hasnt been discounted and it actually went up £5 over night.

I know Black Friday has been on the wane for several years now but I have never seen it as bad as this.

Yeah its awful this year. I've got deals in the past, but this year things are expensive af. Money is staying in my bank account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

That's literally the original point of Black Friday. To get the company back in the black and to shift stuff that aint selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s this sort of crap that makes me just avoid it.

as I’m sitting here I don’t actually need anything… a fortune position to be in. Will pick up a a PS5 at some point in time but after Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ive found over the last year that you can no longer assume Amazon is likely the cheapest place to get an item. I needed to replace a Silentnight electric blanket that the dog chewed through the wire. I could have repaired it but wasnt risking it on an item that could burn the house down. Anyway the same model was on Amazon for £42 2 weeks ago, I said Id wait to see if it dropped on Black Friday. Then 5 days ago just by chance I saw the exact same one in Aldi for 29.99 with a 3 year warranty. Now Im looking on Amazon and it is still £42, there is no Black Friday discount on it at all. Would have been shafted buying it there.

there was always tat but there used to be really good stuff as well. Ive a Philips airfryer in the kitchen that was a Black Friday deal reduced from 150 to 90 euro 6 years ago this week. Others got great deals on DeLonghi bean to cup coffee machines a few years back and are still using them. Those sorts of offers on stuff people actually want seem to be gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

I'm pretty disappointed too. Had a few things in my basket on Amazon.de, then checked Camelcamelcamel and realised it wasn't much of a bargain at all. Seems retailers have figured out how and when to hike prices shortly before Black Friday, so you panic buy before the day is out ("Jaysus I don't have any Christmas presents sorted for the kids, this will do..."), but you're often paying the original price if not higher. I'm tempted to use the Wayback Machine to check how much things cost 3 weeks ago -- I'd say a few retailers have been completely ignoring the law specifically targeting "fake discount" situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 .nosferatu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,057 ✭✭✭✭event

Amazon has slowly but surely turned in to AliExpress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭daheff

At least AliExpress doesn't have sellers pretending to be loca genuine companies. I always check who the seller is before I buy something on Amazon. If it's a Chinese seller (especially one with a fake English type name) I avoid like the plague. Either product will be knock off cheap or will take months to be delivered.

Black Friday hasn't really happened this year. Ads up but no bargains from what I can see.

Advertisement