Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Meter and Storage Heating

Options
  • 10-11-2022 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how smart meters will work with storage heating?

Storage heating is currently controlled by the day/night meter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,108 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Smart meters have three tariffs rather than two. One tariff is still the night rate so you still get to use the storage heating in the same way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Day/nite uses a twin wire connected at the meter that controls the storage heating

I presume this connects back into the smart meter to do the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭blackbox

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

The contractor to install my smart meter told me that it cannot be done because the existing timeswitch directly switches the Night Storage Heaters

You'd probably have to do your own timing at the board wouldn't be a major issue

There was a lot of different setups for storage heating,direct switching of heaters and control pair etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

I was told that, in order, to install the Smart meter that a separate contactor would need to be installed in order to switch the Night Storage Heaters.

I was told that the Smart Meter cannot switch directly.

I suspect that many Smart Meters are not being installed where there is Night Storage Heaters.

Yes you would need a contactor and a control pair to smart meter to change from direct switching

The other alternative in theory anyway is just to fit a contactor and time the heaters on/off yourself if they have no issue with it.

There wouldn't be a huge percentage on direct switching I'd say. Mostly separate those on NSH metering and some older dual-tarriff if I recall correctly.

Advertisement