Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Porch ability on our (2nd) decisive try showed again how talented he is...

Forwards, in contacts and mauls weren't dominant vs Ospreys B so I wouldn't call it impressive (scrum and lineout good as usual this season)*

Farrell IMO brings more individually than Ralston but I also get why Friend chose tha later at times, more speed around our new key playmaker Hawkshaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Great article on Matt Healy.

Would love to see Hawkshaw and Bundee in the centre together when Bundee returns, as someone suggested above.

Farrell was very good yesterday, hard to drop him fully

maybe

10) Carty

12) Hawkshaw

13) Aki

11) Hansen

14) Byrne

15) Porch (covering wing)

22) Fitz (covering 10/15)

23) Farrell (covering 12/13)

that's looking tasty, nearly invincible ...

Pack (front and back-row) isn't strong enough though, Leinster/Saffers showed it

We need Dooley (stronger carrier/tackler than Deegan)

Prendergast for SHL

SHL for Oliver

Boyle for Butler

Murphy on the bench

Small margins but it matters to be as powerful as we can

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

You've previously stated a preference for SHL over Oliver, I don't get it. Comments from the camp (see Wilkins and Butler this week) back that up, Oliver's performances are seen as what others should aim to emulate. If not injured, and with due regard for rotation, Oliver is our seven. He's not the biggest player but is similar size-wise to Scott Penny and Josh Van der Flier, and like them he brings disciplined aggression, work rate, and an ability in the carry that outweighs any loss of raw power.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,465 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The great thing about that game is the team get confidence from the win and the coach tells them they have to work hard to improve.

I've been raving about Hawkshaw for a long time now and I've done it enough in this thread. I'm just hoping he gets an opportunity at 10 at some stage because I truly believe he'll be a star there. He'll be great at centre as we've already seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

After the first batch of games 13 points isn't a bad return from a tough set of fixtures. Maybe disappointed not to have a couple more bonus points from last night and leinster. Munster at home we had a free hit at it and took the option of ending the game.

Ultimately we need something in or around 50 points for Top 8. 37 points from 11 games is a tall order but at least its not totally unobtainable at this point which was my fear at the start of the season.

The positive from last night was we dug in at 12-0 and kept going despite blowing a number of opportunities. Ospreys were poor and really we shouldn't have opened the door for them at 22-12 but still it was vital we dug that one out.

The other positive id take is that the squad rotation has been relatively successful. Lots of players have got game time. Thats hopefully something we can benefit from down the line and it should also help with squad unity so there doesn't become and us v them mentality within the squad and that will hopefully allows us to balance the league with the challenge cup in the next batch of fixtures.

There's a lot of room for improvement I don't think there's been a game yet where we have performed to a high level in all areas but hopefully we'll use this to push on in the next batch of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

With prendergast and murphy at 6 not sure if dowling would get much time there. Brilliant depth forming in the pack

I disagree this is why when prendergast is back to 6 SHL has to put the 7 shirt.

IMO you don't share, he's much better. Yeah Oliver is active, but look again to yesterday game he didn't (he can't) gain a single one-to-one contact with a forward.

Hurley does, and he is, though still "in the making", as involved everywhere on the park, even getting carried away by enthusiasm sometimes.

I know but we have to do something with him :)

We've been lucky with injuries so far this year, it's to be expected that they will come, that will change the discussion. Maybe we'll use the depth.

Absolutely delighted for Thornbury being called to the Ireland A squad. Hope he gets a shot and takes the lights out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Missed the match. Connacht lads go well? Saw one brief lineout from the hotel I was in where Dave found Thornbury well. Other than that how they go?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Heff and Gav did some bits well but probably won't be too pleased with their overall day's work. A few line outs missed, a couple I thought were the calling and lifting but hooker will always be blamed. Lineout improved second half. Did a tap and go that was stripped from him.

Gav was a bit anonymous tbh. Got some tables in but didn't carry that well and was part of a forward unit that was well out fought and out muscled.

Prendergast was the standout forward for me. Made his tackles, took loads of line-out ball, the only forward with any interest in clearing out the breakdown, carried well (compared to everyone else) and didn't stop for 80 mins.

Blade really upped the tempo and added a running risk in the 10-15 mins he got. Should have got more as casey was terrible, behind a beaten pack but he made things worse for his forwards and backs not better.

Worth watching the game back for dmac who had class stamped all over him.

Ulster making some very good long term re-signings and new additions. Contract season will be rolling around soon for us too. Should be interesting to see who stays on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

They made a great signing in Kitsoff. For Connacht the second row will be stacked with Joyce coming in. It obviously means Fifita will leave. I hope they are still looking for a TH and an 8. Boyle is back in form but he needs competition. Butler is ok for the 20 shirt. An outhalf would be a nice addition too. Maybe a back 3 player too if Porch heads off.

Loosehead

Denis Buckley (33) - Signed contract in 2021

Matthew Burke (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022

Peter Dooley (29) - Signed contract in 2022

Jordan Duggan (25) - Signed contract in 2021

Oisin Michel (21) - Academy year 1

Bart Vermeulen (?) - Academy year 2

Charlie Ward (23) - Academy year 3

Tighthead

Jack Aungier (24) - Signed contract in 2022

Finlay Bealham (31) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022

Sam Illo (22) - Signed 2 year contract in 2021

Dominic Robertson-McCoy (29) - Signed 1 year contract in 2022

Hooker

Shane Delahunt (29) - Signed contract in 2021

Dave Heffernan (32) - Signed contract in 2021

Grant Stewart (28) - Signed 6 month contract in 2022

Dylan Tierney-Martin (24) - Signed 1 year contract in 2022

Eoin De Buitléar (21) - Academy year 3

Lock

Oisin Dowling (26) - Signed contract in 2022

Leva Fifita (34) - Signed contract in 2021

Joe Joyce (29) - Signed contract in 2023

Darragh Murray (22) - Signed contract in 2022

Niall Murray (23) - Signed contract in 2021

Gavin Thornbury (29) - Signed contract in 2021

Back row

Ciaran Booth (23) - Signed contract in 2022

Paul Boyle (26) - Signed contract in 2021

Jarrad Butler (32) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022

Shamus Hurley-Langton (23) - Signed contract in 2022

Sean Masterson (25) - Signed contract in 2021

Oisin McCormack (22) - Signed contract in 2022

Josh Murphy (28) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022

Conor Oliver (27) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022

Cian Prendergast (23) - Signed 3 year contract in 2022

Donnacha Byrne (22) - Academy year 3

John Forde (20) - Academy year 1

Scrumhalf

Caolin Blade (29) - Signed 1 year contract in 2022

Kieran Marmion (31) - Signed 3 year contract in 2020

Colm Reilly (24) - Signed contract in 2021

Matthew Devine (21) - Academy year 1

Hubert Gilvarry (u23) - Academy year 2

Will Reilly (u23) - Academy year 2

Outhalf

Jack Carty (31) - Signed 3 year contract in 2022

Conor Fitzgerald (25) - Signed contract in 2021

Cathal Forde (21) - Signed contract in 2022

Harry West (20) - Academy year 1

Centre

Bundee Aki (33) - Signed 3 year central contract in 2020

Shayne Bolton (23) - Signed contract in 2021

Tom Daly (30) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022

Tom Farrell (29) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022

David Hawkshaw (24) - Signed contract in 2022

Shane Jennings (22) - Signed contract in 2022

John Devine (u21) - Academy year 1

Hugh Gavin (u20) - Academy year 1

Daniel Hawkshaw (21) - Academy year 1

Back 3

Adam Byrne (28) - Signed contract in 2022

Mack Hansen (25) - Signed 3 year contract in 2022

Diarmuid Kilgallen (23) - Signed contract in 2022

Oran McNulty (23) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022

Tiernan O'Halloran (32) - Signed 1 year contract in 2022

John Porch (29) - Signed 1 year contract in 2022

Byron Ralston (23) - Signed contract in 2022

Alex Wootton (29) - Signed contract in 2021

Shane Mallon (21) - Academy year 1

Chay Mullins (21) - Academy year 1

Josh O'Connor (22) - Academy year 2

*ages as at 01/09/2023

IN: Joe Joyce (Lock, Bristol Bears)

OUT:

Definitely out of contract

Sam Illo (tighthead)

Dominic Robertson-McCoy (tighthead)

Grant Stewart (hooker)

Dylan Tierney-Martin (hooker)

Caolin Blade (scrum half)

Kieran Marmion (out half)

Tiernan O'Halloran (back 3)

John Porch (back 3)

Probably out of contract (signed contract in 2021)

Denis Buckley (loosehead)

Jordan Duggan (loosehead)

Shane Delahunt (hooker)

Dave Heffernan (hooker)

Leva Fifita (lock)

Niall Murray (lock)

Gavin Thornbury (lock)

Paul Boyle (back row)

Sean Masterson (back row)

Colm Reilly (scrum half)

Conor Fitzgerald (out half)

Shayne Bolton (centre)

ALex Wootton (centre)

Possibly out of contract (signed contract in 2022)

Peter Dooley (loosehead)

Jack Aungier (tighhead)

Oisin Dowling (lock)

Darragh Murray (lock)

Ciaran Booth (back row)

Shamus Hurley-Langton (back row)

Oisin McCormack (back row)

Cathal Forde (out half)

David Hawkshaw (centre)

Shane Jennings (centre)

Adam Byrne (back 3)

Diarmuid Kilgallen (back 3)

Byron Ralston (back 3)

John Forde, Hugh Gavin, and Chay Mullins now listed on the academy page on the website despite not being announced initially.

Is John Forde a brother of Cathal?

Hope we get to see Chay Mullins play a senior game sooner rather than later.

I don't think so re: Forde. He's listed as from Cork, home club Cork Con on the Connacht Academy website.

• Advertisement

That's a potentially scary list of re-signings.

Yup, particularly in the tight five and 9. Not sure we'll be able to keep both Blade and Marmion unfortunately. I think Blade is probably close enough to the RWC to sign an extension but I wouldn't blame Marmion for fancying a payday in France.

The reduced spending power of the GP will probably help us somewhat with player retention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Is there any benefit to the lack of transparency around contract lengths? Other clubs can obviously find out easily who is out of contract. Just seems to keep supporters in the dark for no reason. If there’s a benefit I’m missing that’s fine, just seems strange to persist with this in the modern age where every player has agent etc

I don’t really follow it so I’m not sure but I don’t think other provinces do it to the same extent as Connacht?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Leinster are similar. I've no idea who's up for renewal.

For Connacht, I can see Duggan and Fifita leaving. Sean Masterson is probably surplus at this stage. There's some lads they need to retain. They need to keep Tierney- Martin and Murray.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Players may not want it known publicly for any number of reasons - privacy etc. As you say other clubs, agents can find out easy enough for business reasons.

Leinster definitely dont put up length of contracts a lot of the time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Leinster and Connacht both do it. It seems like Leinster only announce central contract lengths. Ulster seem to do it occasionally but usually give a contract lenghth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I suspect the reality is it’s the players business what his terms of contract are in work. Most of us would be livid if the company we work for released details of our contracts.

Congratulations to Cian Prendergast on his selection for Saturday. He has been phenomenal for Connacht and I believe that his cap against Fiji will be the first of many.

Post edited by Zeugnis on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Slightly disappointed for blade but getting on the bench tomorrow. Big chance for Prendergast, especially if they they see him having the versatility of covering lock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Sure but we’re not representing professional sports teams. It’s pretty much standard across sports that length of contract is made public, in some sports much more detail is common too.

I think it’s pretty clear given Connacht always do this that’s it their standard operating practice, if the standard was to release contract length I would guess there would be very few objections.

Advertisement