Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭seenitall

I’m kinda taken aback by that title. I mean, I know it’s a matter of fact, but to call his autobiography that…… well, it sends an unintended statement, the way I see it, about his self-perception and identity. He comes from a hugely privileged, and at times very challenging background which set him up for a life of (presumably) all kinds of unique experiences, yet through that one world we again get a glimpse of his Poor Me mentality; really, Harry, is the fact that you’re a royal “spare” that one concept that you choose to encapsulate the book about your life within?

Even if it was the publishers’ idea, I think it’s so cringey and ill-advised, he should have rejected it on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Going by the title it's going to be even more woe is me whinging about how he, a prince born into unimaginable privilege, is the victim in life. If that's how he sees himself then he has serious issues. I think its obvious over the years that he was never treated as a 'spare' by his family, especially William but I suppose we don't know what went on behind closed doors. They always seemed to have a good bond and with Catherine too. This will be the final nail in the coffin for any reconciliation probably. Then he can whine some more

If you ask me, being the spare is the superior gig anyway. All of the wealth and opportunities without the responsibilities of being monarch one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭dogbert27

It is a stupid time to bring a book out but he'd be cutting all ties with the RF if he brought it out specifically for the Christmas market as it would show he really is all about the money.

This will be the first Christmas the RF have without the Queen. It will be the first Kings Speech on Christmas day in decades. After the blow back they got from the interview with Opera at the time the DOE was in hospital it looks like this new PR team are finally getting through to them.

That and maybe they want to ensure the grandchildren receive good Christmas presents from King Granddad!! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Also the best chance to get to number one as you'd need to sell fewer copies since fewer people are buying in January. Gotta stroke the ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

The book is already half price in the UK. He’s a laughing stock.

• Advertisement

In fairness I’ve never paid RRP for a new book- I’d usually find it discounted somewhere

The book was obviously named by the publisher and Harry can’t do a thing about it 😂😂the title and pic just make him look like a simpleton

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

title says it all he does not need to write a sentence -I am totally jealous of my brother!!

January will be a fact finding mission to unearth all the lies,

February will see his down fall, lies proven with pictorial & verbal evidence

then total exile from RF - titles gone, no title to kids & removed from line of succession

March he will be selling his sperm on QVC & she will be selling jewellry or food mixers ! UNLESS Oprah keeps writing the checks she seeems to have a serious issue with royal family maybe it because they never took her seriously like all the other cucks in Hollywood RF never gave her the time of day even Diana refused her so she has an axe to grind i hope her pockets are very deep cos megs will empty them .

I got revenge on Z library for free and this toilet paper will be there too once published. Dont be spending your hard earned cash on shite & fiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭AllForIt

How can he bring out a book about himself and not expect to be eviscerated in the tabloid media. If you were cyclical you might think he was looking to bring about a reason to sue the press again and again.

Here’s a great job for Harry considering he’s always complaining he’s stuck for a few bob

On a serious note, the amount of knowledge and expertise you’d need to do that job, you wouldn’t do it for a measly 40k a year - just shows how out of touch the royals really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,625 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Title is simply stating a fact. Can you imagine not only thinking your sibling was the favorite, but the law specifically states it.

His whole existence is nothing more than yo act as spare incase anything happens to his brother. And he loses even that once his brother has kids.

And you have to live your entire life serving your brothers business.

But luckily you have already formed your opinion without reading a word of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Or he could count his blessings at not being first born and thus removed from the strictures of being the heir and free to do what he wanted with his life. It’s not as if his older brother was just getting the house, the land and a seat in the house of commons. His brother will be the King and has to deal with all the crap that comes with that. William either goes through with that or he becomes Duke of Windsor 2.0.

Taking his stated misgivings about the institution and how his father and brother are trapped then I'd imagine Harry is delighted at being the spare. Imagine having the relative freedom to, with access to the best education, advisors and mentors, decide what you wanted to do with your life. He also hasn't been the spare for 9 years now since George was born. In that time he has married, had a family, moved abroad, started his own endeavours. I don’t see how he is living a life of service under his family. He chose to leave after all.

Look at Carl Philip in Sweden. He is the same generation as Harry. He was the heir for about seven months and then a constitutional change meant his older sister took his place. He married a glamour model. His father removed royal titles from his sons. He looked at the positives all of this gave him and his family. Curiously there is no "raw and unflinching" memoir from him. All hereditary families and titles have heirs and spares. It isn't unique to Harry. That he has called the book SPARE tells me perhaps Harry might need to heed the advice of let go or be dragged. I haven’t read it yet but it would have been encouraging, considering his comments about the institution, if the title was a more apt one with SPARED. Remember that this is the guy who said that the phrase Megxit was misogynistic as opposed to being a pun. That tells me that Harry is possibly offended at being labelled a spare instead of seeing it as a quip by a Vanderbilt in the 1890s. I think that may well be a recurring theme in the book i.e. people putting labels on people from all walks of life, people they don't even know. It bleeds into the professional victim sphere along with the Archetypes podcast.

Post edited by valoren on

Id do it for 40k out in beautiful gardens all day with minions to help,wandering through the acreage with my whippet smelling the flowers picking a few weeds maybe growing a bit of weed.... I mean who is really going to visit and notice it growing among the tomatoes !! Live in accommodation on a beautiful property what heaven that would be.

I dunno- there’s a lot of responsibility attached to that role and expectation that only many years of experience will provide - it would probably suit someone in their early 60s semi retired, pension being paid to them and use this job as an icing on the cake of their career

I agree but the gardens are all there and formed it maintenance and some replanting with overseeing the gardeners a lovely position in your early 50/60 you are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

So now, the death of legendary jeopardy host Alex Trebek, who she didnt know, was all about Meghan. Um..ok, lol.

“My obsession with this show was so deep that when Alex Trebek passed away I started to receive texts of condolence. I didn’t know him but everyone who knew him knew how meaningful Jeopardy! and its host were as a daily part of my life."

I'm sure it must a typo that everyone who knew him was texting her condolences. Hopefully anyway!

• Advertisement

Ahhh. Meagain. The gift that keeps giving.

When will she implode surely it must be almost time !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I dunno a lie a day keeps the explosion away ?

Yeah I’m getting bored with Meaghan now- only thing worse than us b1tchig about her is us not talking about her at all - that’s when she’s truely finished 😜

cant wait for the Harry book though-it’s gonna be a blast for a few weeks here on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Much as I dislike her, she surely mispoke on that one, she must have meant anyone that knew her were texting her about Alex Trebeck. If she didnt mangle her words then thats fecking hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

She really is a stunner isn't she? Incredible looking woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Gamergurll

Definitely, she's a perfect example of someone who's beauty is only skin deep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I don't think the name of the book is particularly inflammatory, I think it's rather tongue in cheek. The book is meant to be about his childhood, his formative years in school and in the army, and then his decision to leave. For most of his life, he was the spare. It's a simple fact. And I imagine there were a number of conversations about that with the Firm, if not with his brother and father, at the time he was hanging out with William and Kate being the third wheel.

I'll be interested to read what he has to say about it all. Yes, he has had a financially privileged upbringing, but beyond money preventing any financial worries, and providing you with the means to travel, it doesn't actually bring any additional happiness. I think he has many reasons to "whine" to be perfectly honest. Your childhood is spent with your parents hating each other, and your grandparents disliking your mother. Then your mother dies in a car accident when you are 12, being chased by the paps that also follow your every move. The public believe they own the grief on your mothers death. You have to work for the family firm, no choice about that, and you are aware that the family firm treated your mother badly for most of her life. And you are never allowed to rebut anything that is said about you publically. Never complain, never explain.

No wonder he got out. He was never going to be King, so what was the point of putting up with all that shite? William puts up with it, because there's a point to it.

Meghan may well be a harridan (I mean, she MUST have known what she was getting herself into) but her ego and arrogance actually gave them both the brass necks to get out. If he'd married a Sloane Ranger, that never ever would have happened. Is Harry's life now perfect? No - I'm sure he thought he could have his cake and eat it, as it were. And Meghan has definitely led him down some woefully misjudged paths. But is he happier than if he had stayed? I think it seems so, even with the rift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭rogber

I'm guessing you wouldn't mind giving her something to "squeak" about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,142 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Considering the King and Fake Queen are being pelted in public with eggs, I imagine every single day they confirm to themselves the right decision was made.

The gross opulence of the Queens funeral has pushed the British public over to the thinking that this dysfunctional family are nothing really more than a tourist attraction.

I imagine they can't wait for the Kings Coronation. 🙄

Advertisement