Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting New Doors - Dealing with the Alarm

Options
  • 08-11-2022 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

We're getting a new front and back door fitted, and the installers say they won't take any responsibility for detaching the alarm sensors. The alarm company can't send someone out until after the door delivery date. Does anyone have any advice?

It's possibly further complicated by the fact that there are also sensors from the old alarm (there since before I owned the house) which were never removed either, and they appear to be wired through the wall above the doorway.

Advice from anyone with any experience dealing with a similar issue (or advice in general) would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Inhibit the zone.

remove yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭mike_2009

I removed the sensors and taped them together & out of the way and reattached after installation of my front & back doors. That way you don't have to inhibit the zone. It appears as "closed" but then you'll have to leave the alarm off as your exit/entry won't work! Or at least you risk a false alarm if you set, leave (should work fine) & then re-enter and don't immediately turn off the alarm (don't wander into the line of sight of any PIRs or open any windows!). You won't get that 20 second warning as the front door sensor won't trigger until re-instated. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

The first update anyway is that I've successfully removed the sensors from the old alarm without setting it off, so I suppose that means it's deactivated.

Hopefully it'll just be a matter of deactivating the sensors relating to the alarm I actually use, and cutting them off.

Thanks to those who gave advice. Any further advice is still welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Don't cut the operational ones, or am I mistaking your intent here?

Just leave them hanging and let the lads work around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭mike_2009

Just unscrew them from the door and frame and tape together with the screws until you are ready to have them reattached.

• Advertisement
Advertisement