Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

But it's the truth, nothing was lost. They know exactly where every piece of equipment is!!! It's now in Ukrainian hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It looks like the bridge that's next the Kakhovska dam has been heavily damaged as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭rogber

In fairness, that's a very generous definition of "crowd"

Last major town in Kherson has been liberated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Simply reposting Russian propaganda without contextualizing it is not helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

The Ukrainians can now outrange the Russian artillery and pick their targets at their leisure, without the danger of counterattack.

Going to be a lot of rats nests exterminated.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Imagine Putin exposes Russia for the poorly-equipped military force that they are and all for an ego massage.

They annex a region in Ukraine and then run away from it within weeks. Embarrassing.

I know they have nuclear weapons but who is actually equipped enough to use them properly? They’re so badly exposed.

While that is true it is also true that the Russian missiles can outrange the Ukrainians and can be launched from deep inside Russia/Belarus without issue and to great effect.

Granted the stocks are limited but they are using them effectively.

Then there is also the drone swarms.

In other words Ukrainian artillery is looking to take out military targets, whereas Russian munitions are just looking to do damage, doesn't matter to what

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Field east

What gets no traction here is the ‘fact’ IMO that Russia has to be constantly at war with someone to show to its population that the motherland is under threat and therefor , I Mr Putin will react to protect you. And because of the desire of the continual Russian leadership to be the most powerful state in the world it try’s to achieve this in two ways ie

(1) have a powerful army and backed up by nukes in case the army ‘ wants to take a bit of a break’

(2) interfere in the business of other states to weaken them, sow division, create mistrust, interfere in election processes, steal information, etc,etc ,etc ,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's mind boggling that Putin held a "referendum' in the middle of a very active war zone and the city was lost a few short weeks later. One of the most bizarre events in European political or military history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭macraignil

"Russian missiles can outrange the Ukrainians and can be launched from deep inside Russia/Belarus without issue and to great effect.

Granted the stocks are limited but they are using them effectively."

Not sure I agree that targeting civilian infrastructure can be described as great effect. Having to get water from tanked supplies, heating from solid fuels, light from candles and battery powered lights and emergency generators running at essential services sites may be uncomfortable for Ukraine but is it going to be effective in helping russia win anything?

I saw an article that claimed the missiles fired after the last major attack Ukraine made on the russian navy boats cost russia about $750,000,000 and although they may have caused damage it looks like russia has depleted its stocks and increasingly using these is being met with an improved air defense in Ukraine so less and less of their investment in destructive missiles and drones is doing anything for them.

Post edited by macraignil on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yes, by their own definition a Russian city just fell to foreign invaders.

Good luck to the propagandists trying to spin that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Obama chickened out histor will not be kind to his legacy

I disagree. Obama was a great lPresident. He was just restricted in what he could do by not having control of the houses. I am sure if the Senste and the House of Reoresentitives had of been on his side he would have been the greatest president America ever had unlike that Clown Trump. Now there is someone history will not be kind to if it even remembers him at all. Personally I would wipe the slate clean forget Trump was ever President of the USA because he was more like a Clown yes with a capital C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Check the page above we went over this topic before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

To all the peaceniks who came in here and spouted that Ukraine can never win, that they should surrender their land and their people to the Russians for the sake of peace. That the people in these regions wanted to be part of Russia anyway....

A big F***k you to you all....

Totally bizarre alright. You would expect a referendum to be held on secession several years after the place had been occupied, not bang in the middle of the battle to try and secure the place (!)

Ironically, I think this does serious damage to the idea that Crimea is 'Russian'. Putin has just hammered home the point that his referendums are an utter sham and not worth the paper they are written on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Oh man. I really hope they are ok. I would not be gathering like that:

Edit: I see from the replies to that tweet that that was actually from March. My bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Rawr

In fairness yes, a "crowd-let" at best. It was the best picture I could find from the feed.

The report mentioned a crowd which might have been building when that photo was taken.

(Edit: Ah, I see a new video posted above. It looks like a decent crowd did turn up there. Fair play)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

In Kherson, those Rashists who have not yet managed to escape, change into civilian clothes and hide in residential buildings. The form is thrown into the trash.

The locals say that the lost women are very nervous, speak in raised tones and threaten to shoot if they think they are being filmed.

Therefore, locals need to be extremely careful! APU will be coming soon!

Hope they get them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

For me the refs were nothing more than another nuke threat... They meant nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Russia has lost the war today. That is not to say that Ukraine has won it, but this is the beginning of the end for Russia's expansion in Ukraine. The best they can hope for is to keep their current territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

It appears the retreat went about as well as Russia could expect. I'm sure there's a few hundred of them in civilian clothes but this talk of 40k retreating and 20k getting stuck was bollix. Some as the 5k Russians stuck in Izyum and Lyman rumours.

I'm sure a month ago there might have been 40k Russians including collaborators but they started withdrawing weeks ago. Regardless I think the outcome was for the best. Humiliating blow to their best soldiers and the city retaken without much loses or another Mariupol.

Wraps up a nice few months of counter attacks before the winter.

Also, the international community would / will never accept the occupied Ukrainian territory as being part of Russia, not even if they were to remain there for 30 or 40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Professor Clarke was saying on Sky News that the Russians, as well as leaving soldiers behind in civvies, left camera crews also to film whatever propaganda they're going to try and spin out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Up to Bakhmut now to help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭zv2

@Rawr But all of this leaves me wondering; What got the Russian commanders to finally pull the plug on this? I'm pretty certain that Russian thinking until pretty recently was to have Kherson as part of their new Russian oblasts (why bother with a sham Referendum otherwise?). They mightn't get all of Ukraine, but at least maybe they could have this bastion on the south coast. But now they are leaving wholesale and I can't help but wonder what factor has made this come to pass.

The question is, what did they have to gain by staying there? Apparently they were engaged in a battle of attrition which the Ukrainians were winning and if they had stayed they'd be whittled away to nothing. From the videos I've seen of how many vehicles the Ukrainians have taken from the Russians, it seems it was only a matter of time for the Russians.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭zv2

They must be all the people who 'voted' to stay with Russia.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And a load of them directly blaming putin for the screwups.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

The bulk of the retreat had to already have taken place prior to the official announcement two days ago. There is no way they could have withdrawn 20k men and all their vehicles and equipment from a front line that was 40-50km away from the crossing points in some places over such a short period of time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement