Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

We could see this in the votes for the Brexit proposals under Nay - none could command a majority of the house. They could hardly get a majority to prevent a 'No Deal Brexit'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 penguin1999

are you talking about Italy, the 8th economy in the world, member of the G7, the second biggest manufacturer in Europe and the 5th in the world and co-founder of the EEC? Italy not worth to be in the union with Germany? Italy not productive? I'm not sure you know what you're talking about...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Call in the Italian debt and force a bit of fiscal responsibility on them.

Would they still be all those things you mention?

If I go out and borrow a few million does not make me a millionaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

And you think the rest of G7 are not in debt ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Can you name a single state that isn't in debt?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Apparently what counts is not the level of debt but the trend in the ratio of debt to GDP (can't post links yet, sorry, but there's an article about it on the FT). Besides, it seems that Italy's national wealth and assets are 4 times larger than their debt. Also countries like the US and Japan have a very high level of debt. Anyway, I'm not an economist so can't discuss this in detail, I just wanted to point out that in English speaking media (especially British) Italy is seldom mentioned together with France and Germany (they always say France, Germany and Spain when they add a token Mediterranean country). However, Italy is higher up than Spain in many rankings, it's a bigger economy, as well as being the 4th most important military power in NATO, (again, no links sorry, but the ranking is US, France, UK, Italy). But British media think of Spain first, probably because so many Brits retire there, although not so many anymore ;-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's an indulgence in the very anglocentric, soft-racist view of Italy (usually lumped with Spain) as this basket case, crazy country. That it's just a hyper-casual holiday destination that somehow contrived to be a country, with occasional election drama.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Economist ran an editorial comparing the UK to Italy. This was the cover:

Liz Truss had resigned already when this hit the press, ironically.

The Italian ambassador's response is worth a look as well:

Of course, typical Brexiter logic is that the EU and its members are all basket cases who repeatedly capitulated to the demands of John Bull.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Looks like the UK economic challenges and uncertainty as a result of government incompetence will continue for some time yet...

There is a Norwegian sovereign fund worth US$1,3 trillion (12.3 trillion NKr) . I think that might cover it.

A bit of an atypical example, no? Massive sovereign wealth fund based on their considerable oil reserves.

In any case, I think the "But, Italy" argument from before is clearly daft.

You asked for one example and I gave you one.

By the way, the Norwegian Sovereign was derived from oil and energy, but is heavily invested around the world.

This fund is to the Norwegians as the NHS is to the British - a cherished statement of their nation identity.

https://www.nbim.no/

I asked for one with regards to a typically snide comment about Italy from another poster. Norway is not a typical example no matter how cherished this fund is.

Sorry if I bang on about Italy (I'll change topic I promise) but just to demonstrate what I mean about British media and stereotypical views that ultimately create ignorance and misinformation. The bit below is from today's Guardian and it says "In contrast, Germany and France kept expanding despite the energy crisis, while the US returned to growth." No mention of Italy despite the fact that Germany and France are both +0.2 while Italy is +0.5. Anyway, the news is that Brexit Britain is -0.2%

UK lagging behind other G7 economies on growth

"The UK is the only member of the G7 with a shrinking economy in the third quarter of 2022, my colleague Graeme Wearden reports on his business live blog. Japan has not yet produced Q3 GDP data, but the figures are available for other G7 economies, Graeme says. He writes:

In contrast, Germany and France kept expanding despite the energy crisis, while the US returned to growth.

Here’s how G7 nations fared in the July-September quarter:

Canada: +0.4% (according to advance data)

France: +0.2%

Germany: 0.2%

Italy: +0.5%

United States: +0.6%

United Kingdom: -0.2%

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The query was to name a state that wasn't in debt. Norway (like basically every state on the planet) are in debt. Just because they have funds to cover it doesn't mean they're not in debt. If Norway's debts were called in tomorrow (like salonfire is calling to be done against Italy), that would cause pain for Norway. Less pain than for other countries, but pain nonetheless

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Yes but if I have a mortgage, but otherwise am debt free, and can easily make the repayments, then I would consider myself OK financially.

Norway's Sovereign fund is closely guarded by the electorate, and they would be very against wasting it in any way. Even the income from it is very closely guarded, and cannot be spent frivolously.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

710 bn NOK is more like 71.5 bn USD.

But Norway has a publicly owned 'oil fund' of 1150 bn USD (16 times 71.5 USD). This money is ultimately controlled by the Norwegian government.

Your statistic is misleading.

Look at Estonia they have next to nothing in public debt and has managed by good governance and without oil or having otherwise being super lucky (except leaving the CCCP).

Lars 😀

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/norways-wealth-fund-posts-435-bln-q3-loss-2022-10-28/

Post edited by reslfj on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I'd warrant that the argument is that otherwise debt free =/= debt free. The question wasn't, 'name a country that is OK financially', it was to name one that wasn't in debt.

You may have a very sustainable debt, but you still have a debt.

Even if you had enough money to clear it outright, but opted not to because the exit penalties were too steep or because you could make more from investing it than the interest accumulating, you'd still have a debt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

When talking about public debts it is important to look at the currency of the debt and who is the creditor.

In e.g. Japan most of its huge public debt in in Yen and held by Japanese people (its own taxpayers). The money is so to speak mostly in Japan, just not accounted as currently belonging to the Japanese state. This is by far more manageable than e.g. in Italy and Greece, where the debt is not hold in each country, but by foreign creditors (now partly by the ECB or the EU).

The difference is very much originating from the productivity (or lack of productivity) in the countries. To some degree from tax evasion, corruption big and small, and money being moved out and into other countries, too.

Bad governance in some countries clearly plays a role in several cases. Nepotism in government has often been very harmful.

Just take a look at resent UK governments - Boris and Liz in particular - to see how incompetence hurts.

Lars 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's not just a question of productivity, tax evasion, corruption and funny money. A lot of Japan's public debt is held by Japanese investors because there's a culture in Japan of investing in government bonds. The same is true of the UK, incidentally - a large chunk of UK government debt is held in the UK. It also helps that London is a major financial centre, so the UK can sell its debt there. Irish government debt is largely held outside Ireland, not because we have low productivity or high tax evasion (we don't, on either count) but because we don't have much culture of investing in government debt, we don't have a lot of capital to invest anyway, and our government issues debt in the largest and most liquid markets, where anyone can buy it.

One of the consequences of having your debt held domestically is, incidentally, that defaulting on debt is not available to you in a crisis, because the pain of the default would be born at home. One of the reasons Japanese government debt is regarded as so secure is precisely the political obstacle to any kind of default.

It's not clear, incidentally, that government's whose debt is held domestically are any better off than governments whose debt is held abroad. The cost of the debt is the same in both cases, and if citizens and domestic institutions invest heavily in government debt, that creates a problem for the productive sector of the economy - where are they to get capital from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

that is a funny question, it should be more like which countries follow the eu guidlines and which not on national debt.

and at present thats greece italy and portugal that are above the limit i belive .

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Article is paywalled. Seems almost certain though.

British midcaps have been crushed in 2022 on predictions that Britons would be squeezed harder by rising energy costs than elsewhere. British homeowners are also facing a surge in interest payments given the widespread issuance of flexible-rate mortgage loans in the country. 

The gap between the UK and French stock markets has been narrowing since Britons voted to leave the European Union back in 2016. Still, it’s not all negative news for UK equities, with pound weakness spurring outperformance for the country’s large-caps. The FTSE 100 index is down just 0.2% this year versus a 17% plunge for the FTSE 250.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's a combination of factors, but the primary ones are (a) the decline in the pound, plus (b) the damage done to investor confidence by the Truss premiership. Although of course you could see both of those things as consequences of Brexit themselves.

What has happened is that the total market capitalisation of equities quoted in London (measured in US$) has fallen below the total market capitalisation of equities quoted in Paris (also measured in US$). currency movements don't really affect the value of shares in big multinationals; they earn revenues all over the world in a variety of currencies and so tend not to be affected by exchange rate movements in the currency their shares are listed in. But the mid-size companies which do a large amount of business in their home market are affected. In the UK the mid-size companies suffer the double whammy of sterling's fall against the dollar (so their largely sterling-denominated earnings fall in dollar terms) plus the general rock-bottom consumer and investor confidence in the UK market.

Nice to see a proper straightforward analysis:

This is what the BBC, Sky & Co should have been doing all along. Really feels like the UK is in for some serious economic turbulence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

but in fairness peregrinus considering your point a

both the euro and the pound have been hammered by the dollar in the last 15 month both equally about 15 percent since about august 2019 and also after the referendum there is not a big change either in the value . and the truss blunder was just really stupid politics something the torries voted for.

iam sure there is a better chart but overall i do not see a dramatic change of euro vs pound to the us since brexit ref. at first sight , it almost looks like the pound was if anything slightly stronger until the truss blunder.

When you sink low enough, the only direction is up. The Dollar and the Euro aren't subject to the capricious whims of whatever PM can win the support of the Tory hard right. Nobody is there on merit as far as I can tell. The US has had a sensible leader since 2021 and the Euro is the charge of the ECB. The Bank of England by contrast was forced to offset the damage caused by Truss' stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

George Eustice making some damning criticisms of Liz Truss over the UK-Australia trade deal. He pretty much says the deal is terrible for the UK and Truss is the reason it's terrible.

Advertisement