Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭amandstu

Is Russia trying to keep the Ukranians army out of range of Crimea?

Does Ukraine now need to advance much further from the city to get Crimea in its sights?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

It would be a difficult river crossing. Most likely, they will take up defensive positions and maybe redeploy attacking troops over to Zaphorizia.

Most of the Kherson oblast will be within GMLRS range and maybe a small part of Crimea. But Sebastopol will be outside of that range so unless they have a bunch of ATACMS it is unlikely to make a significant difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Reports showing the Ukrainian flag erected in Kerson city centre; the suspicion is it was partisans mind you. It'll be interesting to know what the population will be when Ukraine reasserts its presence. 300k to what?

Reports also suggesting the Russian retreat was a total shambles, with not all troops told of the withdraw and one apparent account suggesting a unit was told to get into civilian clothes and just scarper.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Video of Kherson city centre right now. I suspect that one of the reasons that crowd numbers are a touch on the low side is that local people (quite rightly) still fear for their safety and may think that congregating in large numbers might not necessarily be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Lovely to see. No doubt, over the next few weeks they will find the usual torture chambers and burial sites but for now it's good to see the people celebrate their liberation. God only knows what horrors they have witnessed.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how the Russian attack on the civilian infrastructure is going ?

Have the Ukrainian aerial defenses managed to counter it ?

They took out something like 40% of the Ukrainian power supply at one stage. They have severely diminished their supply of cruise missiles so have been relying more and more on the Iranian drones. At the same time the Ukrainians seem to have become a lot better at shooting them down.

The Kalibr cruise missiles are launched from ships in the black sea. Ever since the last Ukrainian attack on Russian war ships, in Crimea, they have not launched any more of those.

Usually every Monday there was a barrage. I don't believe there was one this week. After previous Russian defeats they have reacted with cruise missile attacks so it's quite likely that after losing Kherson they will do that again.

Much bigger crowds in Kherson city centre this afternoon : that's more like it.

I got caught by that one earlier as well. It's a video from last March.

Oh right - I guess fears for people's safety is the main reason they're not coming out in big numbers in the city square. The Russians are nearby and they're probably afraid of missile attack if they congregate in an open space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

There's a video of the Ukrainians using himars pointed right at the banks of the Dnieper this morning.

An absolute barrage of missiles, impressive really.

The himars have really proved themselves to be extremely effective weapons

• Registered Users Posts: 54,196 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What a unreal day for the Ukraine.

Brings a tear to my eyes to see the celebrations in Kherson.

The Ukraine army are now in touching distance of Crimea, imagine if they took it back....

CNN have been broadcasting live from Kherson centre this morning. Fantastic scenes - the crowd spontaneously breaking into the Ukrainian national anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭saabsaab

A resident was quoted as saying that the Russians were agressive, unfriendly and very moody.

Beautiful stuff. You absolutely love to see it.

Side note: That Anthem is called "The glory and freedom of Ukraine has not yet perished". How apt

Might that be bc the resistance was strong enough to ruin their PR presentation towards the civilian population?

I mean it must be obvious that they needed to put on a friendly face towards the supposedly liberated population.

Just couldn't make the pretence bc they weren't allowed to "make themselves at home"?

I reckon it is an easier life to be part of the Ukrainian army than to be a civilian in a part of the country occupied by Russia.(maybe that is obvious)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'm not sure they were HiMars,

I believe if it's the same video showing multiple grads launching rockets towards Kherson earlier in the day ,

They are more careful about when and where they use HiMars units

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's still a very likely possibility now that they have shown they can strike the kirsch bridge and ships with their new naval drones ,they have already caused the blacksea fleet to be locked in at svastaspol which leaves them open to other attacks such as drones or missles from either HiMars or attack aircraft

Massive explosion of the dam near Kherson.

No news of the damage yet but I imagine there'll be more to come there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Nazi Ukrainians behind it I'm sure; not Russians blowing it up to flood Kherson now that they left as they would never do that...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭jmreire

News seems to be getting better and better for the Ukrainians.

Comfirmation in that they've retake control of the dam and therefore yet again control the water supply to Crimea. That in itself should be interesting.

They've apparently launched two successful amphibious assaults to the south of Kherson and to the east across the Dnieper.

Oleshky it appears has been liberated but it's not 100% yet, the Ukrainians have asked for oeprational silence on their southern flank and if we move back to their Donbas assault, it would seem that Russia has suffered some intense losses ar svatove and are in retreat which would mean that the cities of Kreminna, Rubizhne and Severodonetsk are now for the taking.

The week has really built itself for a cracker for the UA.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If they have already crossed the Dnieper then I'm genuinely surprised. I'd have thought they'd take stock and pause for a time; maybe regroup and assess Kherson before deciding What Next. Obviously not, and obviously there's a feeling the momentum is not only high, but that the Russians are there for the taking. I had read the Russian forces in Kherson were the better ones, and they have been digging trenches. The lack of any kind of setback for Ukraine has itself been a surprise; you'd hate to think they overstretch themselves.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

For sure; though if their winter is anything like ours so far, it won't be a frigid one, and more gains might be possible. Obviously though the Ukrainians remain well-stoked, with high morale and know the Russians' own logistics and enthusiasm ebbs by the day. No point giving them time to regroup - especially now they have the Kherson dam, and the bridge into CRimea apparently remains buggered.

And it seems the Russians are bringing back from retirement their tanks from the 60s, really scrapping the bottom of the barrel now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Russians are deliberately attacking civilian infrastructure - presumably to break the Ukrainian spirit - but it is having the opposite effect while Ukrainian military are having success after success. The Ukrainians are hitting logistic targets, and also hitting Russian military targets - else how could they have retaken Kherson.

Another successful hit on that bridge, and a few successful partisan attacks on military targets within Crimea might tip the balance.

On that bridge - still no word on what or how it happened - or even how comprehensive was the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Two dead after stray Russian missiles strike Poland. Both Poland and Hungary convening their defence councils, according to the Guardian. The Baltics making noises about “brothers in arms” and defending “every inch of NATO territory.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2022/nov/15/russia-ukraine-war-live-news-updates-kherson-victory-marks-beginning-of-end-of-russian-war-zelenskiy-says#top-of-blog

Poland and NATO have a huge decision to make here. Escalating the war is surely in nobody’s interest when Russia is on the back foot and Putin has decided (for now) to tone down the nuclear rhetoric? Surely a strike on Russia is out of the question then. Could they now justify committing NATO boots on the ground in Ukraine, or ATACMS, to push the Russians out of striking distance of NATO?

• Advertisement

Like you said, they were stray missiles but presumably the convening is to share information to confirm it was an accident and not something more worrying.

I imagine NATO might up their readiness but I'd be shocked if anything more came of this. Putin did nothing after Kherson fell, despite the pageantry of the phoney referendum giving him recourse to respond. But NATO troops in Ukraine would be a significant step.

Advertisement