Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v South Africa Virgin media 17:30

12345679»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ah, Rassie is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

For Kolbe or PTSD to be cited, it would need to have reached the threshold for a red. Hansen would have needed to land on his head or neck. He didn’t, his shoulder hit the ground, guided by his arms. There’s no conspiracy or effect by Rassie there. He just didn’t reach the criteria to be cited.

I thought at the time the card should have gone to PTSD but it still would have been yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,360 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The only reason he landed on his shoulder was because Hansen moved, the players involved in the tackle took no care, the intent behind the tackle should be whats punished not the result which in this case was nowhere near as bad as it could have been which was solely down to Hansens ability to not allow his neck be snapped.

I know the way the card and citing system works is mainly the problem here but its no less annoying that 2 players get away with such dreadful actions.

Yeah, but I actually think it will have a counterproductive impact. If I was a ref, this stuff would completely p*** me off.

World Rugby need to step up and be sharper on this stuff; Erasmus should be sanctioned for that tweet after the weekend, considering this is his first game back after doing essentially (a larger version of) the same thing previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

U talk about intent?what about sexton around the neck?or Hansen taking a player out in the air when not contesting the ball at all?that’s all intent.anyway little things like that get missed all the time.what I think is worse is when a game is decided by bad reffing.one maybe two tries where forward passes,kicking the ball out resulting in a try when the other team got penalized for that only a few minutes earlier.was a good game otherwise and like I said SA wouldn’t be too worried.

I agree. As long as Joel Jutge is clear that he has his referees’ backs, I think it will be counterproductive. It’s human nature to push back against this kind of stuff

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I don't think the pass for Hansen's try was in any way definitively forward, and I don't think bad reffing decided the game. I think Ireland did really well against some, eh, let's say Big Bokkes.

Hence I said maybe two weee forward,one was 100% forward by sexton and the Porter one was borderline but not 100%.that’s still two tries that should not have stood?anyway I’m not here to be biased but anyone looking at the game as a neutral will agree.

Hansen taking a player out in the air? If you're talking to the incident in the first half after a cross field kick, he tackles the guy in the air, and then goes literally out of his way to ensure he brings him back to the ground safely - which is pretty much the exact opposite of what PSDT and Kolbe did with him. It was a penalty and was rightly penalised.

The Porter to Bealham pop clearly wasn't forward, it was just skewed by the angle. Murray Kinsella has a clip on his social media which clearly shows this.

Sheehan's boot strikes the ball while he was in the act of being neck-rolled by Kolisi - it was a completely different incident from the clear and deliberate strike through on the ball (which happened at the very end of the game, not a few minutes later).

If SA aren't too worried, they're certainly doing enough whining and complaining to make you think otherwise.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Advertisement

That just shows what a muppet u are if u can’t look at it without ur green glasses on.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

...I’m not here to be biased but anyone looking at the game as a neutral will agree.

But you're not exactly neutral either; you're a SA fan, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭irelandrover

you might say he's looking through green glasses

Some belated thoughts on that:

• Must be one of the most physical test matches I've seen in awhile (the first half in particular). We weathered the storm, lost 3 starters and still improved in the 2nd half. Quality.
    • To get a try from a lineout maul against that pack is no mean feat. Huge credit to VDF for the finish as well.
    • Hansen's try was class as well; we seem to be really trying to attack on turnover ball and keeping the ball alive (which is at the point the defence is at it's most unstructured).
    • Great to be scoring very different types of tries; defence's will have to respect our maul and our attack thru the backs. (And the handling of some of the forwards in phase play is really excellent).
    • Felt sorry for McCloskey; was going really well and could be another option for us. JOB excellent when he came on.
    • Also thought it was Murray's best game in awhile. He clearly doesn't bring the same zip as JGP, but on this showing still has something to offer. (Incidentally, as an aside, I think JGP's box kicking has improved; the one in the lead up to the try was excellent).
    • The back-row were all exceptional. There may have been a worry pre-game they were under-powered against their counterparts (especially with Beirne in the 2nd row too), but they didn't take a backwards step. Doris MOTM for me.
    • Hansen got the try, but overall I thought he was excellent. I think there was a spell where Johnny was down injured and he stepped in as the main player-maker. He's making himself pretty central to how we play.
    • Bealham has become a quality back-up to Furlong. The cover on the LH side is now a much bigger worry.
    • James Ryan put himself about, but thought he was very lucky with a few of his ruck entries. You play to the line the ref dictates, but I fear it could come back to bite us at some point.
    • I think it was the scrum penalty Bealham won where the 2 prop's went down on their heads gave me pause about how dangerous any scrum can be. We complain about speed of re-sets (and it is a problem) but it's definitely understandable when you think of the safety aspect.

Hansen went out of his way to bring him down safely, the intent was to make sure he landed as safely as possible. Kolbe and PSTD showed no such intent they didnt care they were dropping a player on his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭OldRio

Utterly delicious that the poster doesn't have the self awareness to see the irony in this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Agree with all of this.

Hansen has been an incredible find, just a really talented footballer. Still a little question mark over his defence but think he's entitled to consider himself a starting player now.

For all the shyte talked about Murray in the build up, he was really, really good and it didn't come out of the blue either. He will continue to be a viable option up to the RWC.

On the slightly negative side, I thought Baloucoune found himself at sea once or twice. I know this was his first big test match but I don't think he grabbed his opportunity, not compared to McCloskey or JOB.

Hasn't really been mentioned but I thought Cian Healy did absolutely fine when he came on. (If he'd had to do it after 20 minutes, that might have been a different story.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Oh look context that’s ignores context. How wonderful.

I could always respond with the fact that the team that won did so despite starting with their 3rd choice 12 who was injured and replaced early on by a winger/FB on debut who played 13. Despite playing most of the game with a 9 who was playing his first game of the season. Despite missing at least 3 back three players, if not 4 ahead of kick off and having a FB also playing his first game of the season. Despite losing the best TH in the world at half time. And all that without going into the numerous officiating errors that helped SA as well, including a yellow that should technically have been a red.

I could say that. Or I could point to how SA have poor attacking structures and have routinely struggled to turn pressure into points, particularly into tries, for some time now. And suggest that maybe, just maybe, SAs focus should be on themselves and getting themselves better. Bitter whinging is neither dignified nor constructive. I mean I’m enjoying it, so by all means continue. But it isn’t achieving anything other than amusing others.

I thought Hansen could've been in line for MOTM tbh, only the forwards went so well.

Was delighted for Murray; he's still excellent defensively (not that you pick a 9 for his defence) but when he and Sexton both finally retire from Ireland, it'll be a huge change in that regard. (Sexton again contributing to holding up a player to form a maul and make it unplayable. How many times have we seen that at this stage?)

Entirely agree with the overall tenor of the post, but I'd disagree with this point, molloy:

including a yellow that should technically have been a red.

As far as I'm aware, it comes down to the landing, and Hansen's wasn't on head or neck. I think yellow was the right call, given the laws.

(I think stephen_n's previous post on it is on the ball).

Because the player moved his head so he landed on his shoulder, their actions would have lead to him being dropped on his head had he not moved, they showed no care for the player they had in hand, which is what the card and citing should be for not the result of the tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Bigbok... 😂😂😂

Dontcha know we're not supposed to remember his previous incarnations, it's just not fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ah yeah, I’m being deliberately facetious there. A yellow was the right call given a low level of danger. But the only reason Hansen didn’t land on his head was because he got his arms out in front of himself. But that’s not part of the directives on this. The ref used the “landed on his back” thing to mitigate down to a yellow, but Hansen absolutely didn’t land on his back. It was the only way to a yellow so technically it was the wrong call, even if I do agree with the outcome.

• Advertisement

Well I for one am certainly glad you're not here to be biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

When you are trying to grow the game you don't want parents to see that Kolbe incident happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Is the South Africa France game on TV this weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I finally got to see this match. What a physical match. Incredible game! Ireland withstood a lot of pressure and held their own. POM is in the midst of an Indian summer. He's brilliant. His game has really improved. DDA was the 3rd best 12 out there, Big Stu was going great and Ringer was really good. JOB was fantastic. The best player though, was Ethebeth. He is extraordinary. A wrecking ball. Our pack was really up for it. In saying that, I think Beirne has really become good in the tight. He's everywhere and does the basics well. James Ryan again, was very very good.

SA will be righted by the world cup. They can lose every match on this tour and I still think they will be ready at the world cup. A couple of their players looked of the pace. Koch was so so and Malherbe was penalized a bit. I reckon Koch could miss out. Kolisi is magnificent. As is Marx.

Good win, good battle and even though Sexton was not brilliant, he put in a defensive masterclass.

• Advertisement

Amazon presumably. They've shown every game so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Out of interest can you subscribe free for a month to Amazon Prime Video in ROI the way you can subscribe free for the same period in UK?

I presume Nyakane is injured? Haven't seen him in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

When I order stuff on Amazon it sometimes offers me free delivery with a 1-month free trial of Amazon Prime - if that answers your question. Do you automatically get APV with AP?

yes, it’s the same package. I have it for the deliveries primarily. Don’t know I’d get Prime Video if it were a standalone.

having every autumn game across all 6 nations available to watch any time is pretty cool though

It's geo blocked over here. Fuckity ****

Where’s ‘here’? It’s not geo blocked in Ireland - I’ve no issue accessing them live or on replay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yeah I activated my 1 months free prime on Saturday morning. Now have all the rugby foe the month. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Given the depth of their talent, the world champions were not that inventive. The best pass to a wing was delivered by a second-row forward. It’s often said that you know what you’re going to get with them. Isn’t that an indictment of the coaching staff?

Right! I look at the teams in the urc and look at how they counter attack and how they operate in broken play. Rassie may be moved on after the world cup. I think he did great last world cup but, the style of play has not evolved and they are suffering due to it, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Mav11

I was at the match but forgot to record it at home. Does anybody know / have a link to where I can re-watch the game? It doesn't seem to be on the Virgin Media Player! TIA

It’s still on prime if you can get a password form someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Mav11

DOH! Wrong match thread, its the Munster v SA match replay that I was looking for. Thanks anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,441 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Advertisement