Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Wow!! I was there on Monday and it was showing offline on the app!! I waited for a car to finish in the 50kw so I could use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

That new fine for parking in EV spots is gonna work well.....eventually. Meanwhile in Tesco Celbridge

Also screw you Boards photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

They put the charge point in the wrong place in Celbridge. It's right beside the washing machines, so it's usually iced by people using them. The ones in Maynooth are at the points in the car park furthest from the shop, so don't usually get iced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

Hopefully they will upgrade all Tesco AC to DC, and put multiple DC next to each other. Lidl have been going the 50kW DC single unit route on newer stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The irony here is that Elmore are a parking enforcement company among other things….

Ive already tweeted Holden saying it’s not a good look one of their vans blocking an EV charging space. and I've just emailed Elmore (sales@elmore.ie) about how its not a good look for them either...

• Advertisement

They are definitely stopping any other ICE cars parking there alright.

Also a sticker on the blue van is being used by An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The response…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

@liamog did you get a decent speed from the 150kw "high powered" charger at Sundrive?

I arrived here with a pre heated battery and it went up to 66kw then dropped to 62 after a minute and after another 5 minutes I'm currently taking in 55kw.

I'm presuming it's being limited somehow? No other cars are or were using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

I heard the post box has moved from the site for the new Costa to just beside the charge points (about 1m away from the bollard at the back of the Elmore van), so I wonder if they were involved in that. Doesn't justify it though.

• Advertisement

Another price increase on 20th December 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Anna's getting a pay-rise and she's taking the ECDL (hopefully) too.

And people used to complain about Ionity prices 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Jeepers, Yeah - at that rate, the membership rates on Ionity are almost half that of a slow ESB charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

LOL the pricing. The guts of €0.65/kWh PAYG for "fast" charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

Ridiculous

Yeah I don't Ecars surviving long at those prices. They'll stick around because a lot of people have no choice, but they're going to get squeezed out of their more profitable routes

A lot of folks would have used an ESB unit even if Ionity was free beside it simply because it's cheaper. Now that argument is gone out the window

Although I wonder how long before Ionity decide to increase prices...

The 50c/kWh for AC charger is pretty shocking IMO. Ecars were saying there's no money in AC charging, at those prices I'm not so sure

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

On January 1st the cost of ESB AC was 29c per kWh, this latest increase brings it to a 97% rise since then. But privatisation means competition and lower prices somehow???

I particularly like how they blame the wholesaler, ie ESB ecars saying it's the fault of ESB Networks who are a completely separate company *wink wink nudge nudge*

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Sure what are domestic rates at these days? Back when ECars Slow charging was ~26c/kWh (or was it even less) domestic rates were ~16c/kwh on a 24hours tariff (1.5x domestic). Now domestic rates are ~40c/kWh on a 24 hour tariff vs 56c/kWh. Same scale, just energy prices have gone up. Screws their "this magical leaf costs X per 100km vs a focus diesel" PR they always tag on.

• Advertisement

It all comes back to the same problem of privatisation, we had some of the cheapest electricity in Europe when we only had one public utility to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I have no problem with these increases. Electricity is going up. It's unfortunate but that's the reality of it. Even if this makes it exactly the same cost as ICE, remember that the vast majority of EV charging is done at home. My home charging costs me 7c per kWh.

You make a good point but I drive my car to other places from time to time and can't always make use of my cheaper home rate I imagine more people will be in my boat than yours

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

"Sustained higher wholesale energy costs throughout Europe" - But the day ahead wholesale electricity prices are back lower than the level in April when the last price increase was put in place. Admittedly there is significant volatility in the market in the past number of months but depending on ecars forward purchasing strategy it could have been well shielded from a requirement to further increase prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I don't use the ESB chargers much anymore but I used to rely on them, that price increase is ouch for anyone who still does.

Ironically enough the unit price of Electricity in Europe, particularly France, where we have the inter connector, is much cheaper than what we have here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

is esb still cheaper then Tesla supercharger rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

its pretty much online with the wholesale costs.

look how much the details price is now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

We don’t have an interconnecte to France , we will have and it will lead to lower prices

• Advertisement

That's a slightly artificial decrease. The prices of electricity are tied to gas prices, which have dropped significantly across Europe

This isn't because Europe magically found more gas, it's because they ran out of storage. There's enough to get through winter and October was pretty mild, so they're mostly sustaining the storage levels

So any LNG tankers that pulled into port suddenly had to offload their cargo. I think there's some rules that say they're basically not allowed to leave the terminal with full tanks, so they're forced to sell their cargo very cheap to get rid of it

It's possible that gas prices will go up after winter as European countries try to refill their storage again

Advertisement