Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bauer to buy RedFM

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

More cash machine crap then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Returning Red to meet its original target of being a youth station would be interesting, but it was never successful as such.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I had commented as such on the Bauer threads here, this is what Bauer do in the UK so it makes sense for them to do as much here. There are 6 youth stations in Ireland, Bauer own 2 of them with networked programming so the other 4 are ripe for their purchase. There's no competition concerns as the markets have no overlap.

It'll be fascinating to see what they do with their first acquisition. Spin Cork is probably their dream but it wouldn't be a like for like replacement, Neil Prendeville and the sports shows wouldn't really fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Neil will be on the phone to 96 already I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would take it that they are not getting Beat; as buying Red would have involved talking to the same people. Not a 100% matching shareholding, but the Irish Times would be calling the shots regardless.

I would not be surprised if they buy i.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭its_steve116

I think it would be a great idea to have regionally-produced shows on Today FM from the Red fm studios in Cork.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Cork is a big radio market in that it's so competitive.

Just looking at the JNLR's released today. Red has a market share of 21%. In contrast, Newstalk and TodayFM's share in the Cork market is 10.6%

Having nearly double of the market share of two national stations means they would also be getting a lot of advertising revenue that Bauer probably has no access to as it stands but they would now that they are buying it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭KildareP

I'd say, if anything, it's more likely that Red FM will become a satellite station, most likely of 98FM.

Local breakfast and drive, networked at all other times.

This is what happened with SPIN1038 and Spin South West, although that was easy as they were already aligned in terms of brand.

However Bauer operate the Hits Radio Network over in the UK, which consists of both directly branded "Hits Radio" stations alongside standalone, decades old local brands, so we could see the 98FM and Red FM brands retained, but the majority of the programming outside breakfast and drive networked across both stations.

When was the last time Today FM had regionally-produced programming though? 2FM has shows come from Limerick and even Cahir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Red are a far more successful station than 98FM so if anything it should be 98 that takes programming from Cork; not the other way around!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The issue here though is how far they will be allowed to stretch what RedFM is meant to be as a station. It's meant to be a 15-34 year old station (Spin equivalent), 96FM is meant to be the 98/104 equivalent and C103 is meant to be the Q102 equivalent with added focus on local speech & sports.

Cork has no youth station at present (along with Wicklow but Wicklow has significant overspill from Beat on 102.0, iRadio on 104.7 and Spin on 103.8). Will Bauer try to make Red into a Spin type or a 98FM type?

Today FM will remain completely independent of RedFM, of course Today FM is also receivable in Cork.

Red's programming is very Cork oriented though, it wouldn't network well with 98FM at all.

The opposite is also true though. It’s the Peoples Republic of Cork y’know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it is supposed to be, but has ultimately abandoned that audience.

likely to late now for them to go back to trying to target the youth audience, they have moved on to other means of receiving content.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

How were they allowed to abandon the audience they’re targeting? Are they not obligated by the BAI to provide a specific content output for 15-34s and do the BAI not hold them to that?

When the BAI have to sign off on the sale, perhaps they’ll say they need RedFM to return to being an actual youth station and not whatever it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Lord Nelson

How were Dublins Country allowed to morph into Sunshine playing insipid elevator music? Lite FM became Q102, 4FM became Classic Hits. Basically, the BAI will cave to whatever the commercials want to avoid a failure which they appear to think will reflect on them for granting the licence in the first place. Stations know this and take full advantage of the BAI’s weakness, hence we have a plethora of homogenised stations playing the same crap.

Surely this reflects more on the listening taste of the Irish public?

Worth noting that the ‘insipid elevator music’ of Sunshine has made 106.8 the most listened to music station in Dublin.

Also when you complain about homogenised stations playing the same crap .. are you suggesting that Sunshine and Spin sound the same? Or for that matter 98FM and Radio Nova?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I don't think there was a radical departure in the kind of music it played after the name change. It was still alternative rock oriented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Very true and whenever Neil retires they will very quickly find themselves in the doldrums again. Probably the right time to sell up for the current owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Howard100

I feel this is really bad news for the staff.

You can expect Spin Cork to be part of their rebrand in 6 to 12 months.

Red's current morning show is poor, can't see that staying.

Prendeville will not fit the Spin remit so that show wont be in the plans.

The CEO, Finance, News and Sport and ad traffic will also be ran out of Dublin.

As I said, bad news for Red as it stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I've never liked the Cork radio market. Maybe it's competitive, but on a local level. To me there just isn't much choice there at least not like Dublin would offer.

And then there is also a certain element of local feeling of pride and that Cork is the best city in the whole of Ireland.

I’m the opposite, I really enjoy it. It’s a good old fashioned radio battle that’s been going on for years. The Cork attitude only helps it IMHO (and I’m a proud Dub)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Sorry haven't read through all the posts but this seems kind of crazy considering that Communicorp had to sell FM104 over to UTV media.

If Spin was to share RED FM Bauer would have a semi-national service across Spin and Red.

At the very lease I'd imagine that RED would rebrand as Spin 104 to 106

Spin South West

Spin 103

Spin 104 to 106

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

I miss a couple of stations in Cork, something like Radio Nova, or Q102.

Also, 96 and 103 are simply not the same choice as 98 and 104 in Dublin.

Cork would need something like Zenith Classic Rock to make the airwaves exciting.

I don't think a station like Zenith would be financially viable, unless they water it down like Radio Nova here.

That was in a very different era though. Radio is a lot more challenging commercially these days with all sorts of competition.

Also, 98 & 104 were direct competitors. This is not the case with RedFM and any other station in Bauer’s portfolio, it would be like Bauer trying to acquire 96FM now after taking over RedFM.

RedFM, Spin SW and Spin1038 are also all serving different markets, so there’s no competition concerns in that regard. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Bauer take a clean sweep of the 6 (or at least 5) of the youth stations in the coming years and network them all. Look at the UK and NI for precedent on this.

It’s if they ever start going after the ILRs here I feel they will hit speed bumps. They still have massive local draw, something less seen in the regional youth stations.

That's the problem with mostly all rock stations, is getting watered down in hopes they attract a larger audience. Whether that's the right approach, I don't know.

• Advertisement

Poor radio and all that competition. Lets merge everything together!

104 and q102 could now be considered competitors much like 98 and Spin, all of which are in competition with ... TODAY FM

RedFM has competition from TODAY FM

There aren't until you consider that the could all merge and then be bigger competition to 2FM and Today FM.

So we end up with one super Yuff service that has ownership of their national competitor in Today FM.

Yes this seems like a great way to kill of regional yuff radio.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

So essentially the experience for the average listener in the South East, talk about lowering the bar.

Two words for you: Regulatory Capture: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulatory_capture

Its owners thought otherwise but were denied the opportunity, mind, there's also some absolutely ridiculous impositions like a mandatory percentage of News and Current Affairs which has absolutely no fit when it comes to a music station, particularly an AOR station.

@rogue-entity I think Regulatory Capture is to hard for the BAI to understand, the BAI from their establishment have been about a hybrid policy governed regulation and self-regulatory system, it will be interesting to see how the New Media Commission will actual take anyone to task considering it sits on the foundations of the BAI.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭thejuggler

The takeover is complete - will be interesting to see if any changes transpire.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

I think its more likely they all just become "Spin" by name . Maybe some opt out branding for local shows, if it ever went that way.

I assume a majority of the services related to the operation will move to Dublin over time. If they do try to network it in some way, either 98/Spin then they might be in for a shock, people want local content in Cork, if they don't get it they'll jump. The press release seemed to mention "digital assets", not sure if Red FM have something there that's a possible money maker.

Not much evidence to go by as to what will happen, only networked operation is Spin as mentioned, and thst predates the Bauer purchase. Its maybe a little different with a youth station like that, it's bang, play the music and get out, same in both markets and they are both successful. You wouldn't even know you're listening to "South West" anymore it's just "Spin". If Red is to remain local it needs more than that.

I can't see it staying as is, News will likely come from Dublin, which will impact Neil Prendivelle if there's less local content, so something will give there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭leath_dub

They can look forward to the risible "Cash Machine", for a start

I would guess the digital assets refers to their podcasts which might fall under GoLoud now.

They already have Red added to the GoLoud player app too.

Bauer in the UK have heavy networking across the legacy ILRs in the NW (Radio City etc), despite them sharing ~20 hours a day of networked content. Perhaps Bauer might try an approach like that here

Networked evenings and overnights might be a possibility. Dropping the target age after 7pm and throwing the Zoo Crew on (with Zoo Crew rather than Spin branding) might appeal to them

Spin replaced the Zoo Crew with another “ten Spin hits” format show last year.

Do you reckon they could share music programmes throughout the evening and overnight? I would guess they’ve similar enough playlists as they’re both “hit music” stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭smallfridge

id imagine networking in some form with Spin 1038 or Red presenters networked into SW will happen in the evenings at some stage.

it’s a weird one because Neil Prendeville is peaking at 120k listeners and average Qtr is 83,000. That’s still a huge draw and cork people aren’t great with change. I don’t see it changing too drastically short term.

not sure how breakfast is doing but rest of their day schedule is competing well with 96.

• Advertisement

Oh did they, where was this? I actually didn't think they'd made any real public comment on it.

Spin 1038 is networked into the South West after 7 anyway, so unlikely it will start coming from Red. More likely they all take the same show from Dublin.

If it does become a Spin, I wonder if the South West Fully Charged team would move to Cork and syndicate it? They are both from Cork, but have been with South West for a good while. Would be a far more logical step to have them as presenters rather than ever take a Dublin show.

Listenership dips off massively across the board after 7 anyway, so having one show in three different markets allows for increased revenue opportunities while minimising costs.

As mentioned, it's all speculation, most likely thing is a subtle change in music policy across the station, maybe some fresh sounds, and then gradually introduce the Cash Machineto increases revenue and assess the situation in 12 months. All that while centralising operations from Dublin in terms of finance, marketing etc... Although with remote work they may actually keep on most staff.

I wonder if beaur tried to buy Beat ? Beat could easily be turned into Spin tomorrow but Red has the issue that it sounds older than other "youth" stations. Even leaving Neil Prendervile aside, Philip Burke and Dave Mac are hardly youth radio material either

I think the assoication with Spin, Beat and iRadio is simply because of the original licencing for those services, though I think Red Predates all of them.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Somebody here said recently that they tried but Beat said no.

Hmmm...

By all accounts it's Bauer making the decisions, it's unlikely any Bauer staff would have spoken to Red FM staff prior to the sale, and it seems like a weird promise to make to the sellers.

The only time it would have happened was yesterday when the sale was finalised and Bauer bosses may have spoken directly to Red FM staff.

All I can decipher from that is your either work there or are close to someone who does?

I don't necessarily disagree, I don't think it will become a Spin station. Just curious now as to how ring fenced it is given what you said.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I'd be surprised if there were wholesale changes, at least in the short term. Everyone talks about syndicating with SPIN but forget that 98FM is allowed to stand on it's own two feet. Not everything revolves around SPIN at the moment.

You'll probably find that some of the higher-ups will go. Neil won't be going anywhere for the time being as long as it makes money. Everyone thought the same with The Last Word on Today FM but it's still trucking along.

You could make the Dublin Talks argument but I'm pretty sure they never had a sponsor nor were they making much headway in the JNLRs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement