Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracking Devices

• 10-11-2022 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭

I read an article recently of a golfer who got from 10 to 1.1 in a year by doing the following;

1. Speed Training. 2. Gym work 3. Tracking his stats 4. lessons on his weaknesses. The tracking his stats was a major factor because his weaknesses were not what he taught. I am actually doing 3/4. Started speed training this winter so thinking of maybe getting something to track my stats.

I am thinking Shot Scope V3 or Arccos but cant decided I hear with Arccos you have to pay a subscription after a year which is a bit of putting.

Anyone using any that can recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I may have read the same article. The article briefly mentions that he had a large golf break in the middle of his life, and when he started back he started with a HC of 10 and quickly reduced that to 1.1.

I took that to mean that he was an accomplished golfer in the beginning and that when he started back at 10 he may not have been a "real 10".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭benny79

That was the one. True, I dont think I'm going to get to 1.1 😂 I was just interested in the stats part as when speed training you are tracking your swing speed and trying to beat your best each time. I find it very interesting and has my range sessions more enjoyable and focused. So I thinking I should invest in some tracking device but like anything which one do you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Arcoss user here - I don't want to say the app has revolutionised my game, but it has been a massive help and has been great value

Is there a yearly subscription? Also is the caddie help on it any good? I know you cant use it in tournament play but I think its a great idea if he works obvious especially on your home course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭BOB81

I've a shotscope V3 for the past year or so, its a good basic GPS unit on its own and as I would have kept some form of stats anyway, using the tags and watch makes the process easier. Also the app has strokes gained info (and ability to compare various handicaps) which is handy to point out your flaws (which to be fair you'll probably be aware of).

Drawbacks are that in order to get proper putting data you need to manually record where the pin is on each green as you hole out (just a single button press on the watch), it just took me a while to make this a habit which can mean you need to manually put in some pin locations for holes after the round if you miss one. And my experience is that while recording shots is accurate, there is almost always some review needed after a round to make sure everything is captured correctly (ball in water hazard etc), but this only takes a few mins, I use the desktop app for this, much quicker & easier than the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭paulos53

My experience of Shotscope is similar to BOB81.

It really only suits a person who has the patience and discipline to review all of their shots after the round. Generally GPS devices are only accurate within 2 to 4 yards. This isn't a big deal for long game stats but it is a big deal when most of the putting data is 10 feet out.

It usually takes me 5-10 minutes to edit my data after each round.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭kod12

Moved from Arccos back to Shotscope V3 just cant justify paying the €150 sub a year. They said they had to increase it by nearly double due to improvements in the app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What kind of stats are you looking for?

I've a basic garmin watch and it tracks scores, GIR, FIR, club distance average, putts, accuracy, long drive etc.

All free.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Luxxis

I use the Garmin Ct10's. Not as good i think as the other systems but I have a Gamin watch so I went for them.

Similar to the other systems, I do find them very useful. Club distances is the obvious benefit. no more guessing.

The right number is the MAX distance you ever hit the club. Other numbers are the averages. I'm near Graystone's so i can get distances from their Top tracer but the club tracker I believe is far better as it on Couse where there's consequences. In terms of handicap, I've had them since March and it took my handicap down from 14 to 8 over the summer. mainly know my distances and hitting more greens. If i could putt would be a 5 or 6 HC i reckon :)

Also the app said tracks chipping, driving approach and Putting. It will identify if your Declining or improving in any area. So you can identify what part of the game you need to work on, though to be fair you should know without the app.

But i would recommend a club tracker to anyone,

€150! Thats steep.. Taught it was only around €40 I was kinda leaning towards the Arccos to as the V3 has mixed reviews!

• Advertisement

What watch do you have? and how does it know what club your using with out tags? I kinda want strokes gained proper distances of clubs and then the usual GIR, putts etc so I know my weaknesses and where to improve.. I do like the sound of the Caddie function on the Arccos though and it has got the best reviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Russman

I'm using the Shotscope and would largely agree with above. Personally I don't find it much of a faff to edit my round afterwards, as mentioned it takes maybe 10 mins. There's almost always one or two anomalies or a shot missed somewhere.

The strokes gained aspect is interesting, especially being able to compare to various handicaps and not just a tour pro, and it might throw up some surprises. The yardages are also useful too, in that they show your average with each club, plus what they call your "playing average" where it removes outliers, mishits etc (obviously that's a bit subjective to some degree). Visually that's presented on a bar chart so you can see if there are any obvious yardage gaps or overlaps. There's a nice function on the desktop where you can see an overhead of each hole and, say, your tee shots for a time period presented as coloured dots, one colour for when you made par on the hole, different one for birdie, bogey etc.

There's dozens of stats you can look at on the desktop and/or App, and its basically split into tee shots, approach play, short game & putting.

Do I like it ? Yes. Is it useful ? Yes. Could I live without it ? Absolutely. I don't think it threw up much that I wasn't already aware of, but its nice to see some "proof" of what I thought. My right miss off the tee kills me way more than my left miss. Its nice to be able to track, say, proximity to the hole with different clubs or greens hit with different clubs etc. For instance, I could see that in the season just gone, from inside 50 yds, I was averaging 6ft closer proximity to the hole with my sand wedge than with my lob wedge. It made my decision easier to try dropping the lob wedge for better gapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

In your experience is there much difference between ShotScope and Arccos in terms of “missed shots”. Do you find you have to add more shots manually with ShotScope after rounds or do the both miss “the same amount”?

Im curious because Arccos seems to be the better system overall but It has the yearly cost. ShotScope is pay once and your done. My only big concern with ShotScope is if it misses a lot more shots as it would be a gastro to add a lot of shots back in manually afterwards.

So because I don't have the tags I've have to select which club I use after every shot. It's a bit of work out on the course but I've gotten used to it and the feedback I get from it is very good considering it's free. I don't do it for every round.

It's just a garmin running watch but can also be used for golf and as a smart watch.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭kod12

I found it much better than Arccos for the missed shots. Both I found had minimal but the shotscope had less. The app is better on arccos no doubt about it it’s just hard to justify €150 every year when shotscope does the same thing with no sub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭coillcam

I use a Garmin watch and it does as much tracking as I need it for so I think its been great value for money. The average distances are generally quite close, though I still have a few outliers skewing a couple of clubs - the same for any tracker. Those outliers will be averaged out gradually after I stick in a few more rounds. The best thing for me about Garmin is that I don't have to pay a subscription for using the app or accessing my stats/SG etc. Mightn't be as detailed as other offerings but it's enough for me.

My avg 8i is 147 total in the Garmin app vs trackman, where it normalizes to about 155 carry. I know that means on a hot calm day it's carrying 160. In Winter, it's 150 or a little less. However, the context is that the 147 total from Garmin includes some shorter shots into wind or punches. I added 3x CT10 sensors for my SW/LW/Putter as it now gives better data on the short game. Particularly chips/bunkers and # of putts.

While the watches/trackers do capture total distance it's important to know your exact carry, particularly for 6i and longer clubs which have more rollout. Trackman is the gold standard here.

What I've found the most beneficial from the Garmin app has been:

1. GPS map, hazard distance, green front/mid/back. It's like having a caddy with you and probably more beneficial than a laser for most people (I have both now). Excellent help on new courses.
    2. It gives a good grasp of distances until I did a trackman session for exact carry data.
    3. Reviewing my rounds to see where I made mistakes for doubles/penalties etc.
    4. Reviewing historical shots on holes where I struggle (change strategy for Par 4/5 and approach distances).
    5. Reviewing my putting performance, how many in a round, where am 3x putting and how often etc.

I know that @benny79 wants to find out where to best focus on improving. The stats from any app/tracker will 100% help. Unless you have a low-HC, the average golfer's stats and performance will always point back to:

• Course management/shot selection to avoid penalties, bunkers, trees and rough. Put it on the short stuff (reduce wasted strokes).
    • Practice putting regularly and reduce 3x putts (reduce wasted strokes).
    • Practice everything inside wedge distance regularly to score well (better opportunities).
    • Make chips/bunkers/recoveries a point of confidence and competence (tidy up loose strokes).
    • Be a better ball striker (now starting to excel and drop your HC).

The data from the apps/trackers will support this. You can get a bit lost in diving into SG etc IMO. Even so, SG would quickly show you that which of driving, recoveries or putting etc are in need of immediate attention. Once you are capturing data and you're willing to engage with it, any tracker will be of enormous value.

I won't dismiss the fitness/speed element at all. It's SUPER important for general health and well-being, never mind golf. If you have the time to invest in it, then it's a fantastic thing to do and could help you shave a few more strokes over time. For most amateurs, we only have limited time so the best ROI on improvement is always going to be skills-based (lessons & practice). Though off-season and crap weather leave plenty of time for the gym too.

Best of luck on your journey @benny79. Looking forward to hearing how you get on for 2023.

Thanks @coillcam Yeah I have been at 18/19 for years I noticed speed training has really been a light bulb moment for me anyway and I suppose I was doing everything that article was saying exact tracking my stats. Mark Crossfield had a good review of one of the above but he basically said the future of golf lessons is going to your Pro with your stats and working on your weaknesses. Makes sense when you think about it.

I would buy the Arccos in the morning if it hadn't got the Subscription €150 is a bit steep. So suppose the Shot scope V3 is a close second.

Been listening to mark crossfieds podcast recently and it's a good one if you like your stats but he was saying if you only track one stat track greens in regulation. Everything else feeds off that. Try to get it up over 40% if possible.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Funnily enough I've recently heard a number of people in the industry say that tracking GIR is pretty useless and can be extremely misleading. I think the analogy given is usually something along the lines of, "Proximity to the pin is a better metric. There's no point being on the green but 70ft away from the pin. Much better to have missed the green and but be much closer to the hole and have a short chip."

I'm paraphrasing wildly there, but it's interesting to hear both sides of the argument. I'd imagine GIR is still a great stat to track for most amateurs, however.

Yeah obviously on a course with massive greens like St Andrews it would be mostly irrelevant but I'd say it's valid on 95% of courses. Also I wouldn't take much notice of the stat for pros but I do think it's a good one for amateurs. My own GIR for my home course this year is 33% so something to work on going into next year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

That analogy is, I would think, shockingly untrue. GIR is a considerably better stat for improved performance than proximity.

In pretty much every situation you're scoring will be better in the long run by having a GIR vs a missed green, even if you have a great short game.

You'll still likely make a much higher percent of 2 putts or better when on the green then you will than getting up&down from off the green.

My up&down percent is only around 33% and I think I have a reasonable short game, not great by any means, but not bad (I'm a 6.4 index and arccos reckons I should be getting up&down around 40% for my handicap range).

I'm averaging around 2 3-putts per round and around 5 1-putts

Majorly oversimplifying things here but, if I missed all 18 greens and hit my stats, I'd take 2 to get down 6 times and 3 to get down 12 times, so around 48 shots around the green

If I'm hitting all 18 greens I'm taking around 33 shots around the green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I agree fully. Just thought it was funny to hear people strongly arguing both sides.

I think it might have been Lee Westwood on Rick Shiels podcast that I heard mentioning it first. Have definitely heard it discussed a few times since.

I reckon the advice is more aimed towards professional players. Some of the points about it being misleading are accurate though. If your approach shot lands just slightly off the fringe, let's say, but you're only 6ft from the pin; it technically goes down as a missed green. But it's probably far better than hitting that same green, but being on the top shelf with a monster 60ft downhill putt.

But, for the vast majority of amateurs who aren't playing into enormous greens, then I personally think tracking GIR is far more beneficial than not.

The beauty of the shot tracking systems is that you can track both stats. I also like that you see those stats for each club. It does a good job of highlighting which clubs I am hitting poorly

Just to show that you can't blindly trust either stat:

This year I hit 46% of greens with my 3 wood, which is the 2nd best of any club in my bag. However the average proximity for the same club is 120 feet, which is the worst of any club.

Basically I have a 50/50 chance of flushing my 3 wood or missing the green by a country mile 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I'd agree it's a good stat to have a high number in. If I'm on in regulation, I'll make par at least 50% of the time. Probably more relevant though is that I'll make bogey at worst. I haven't knocked down the approach, hit it in the water, out of bounds etc. This probably applies to near the green in regulation too though.

I think getting the GIR number up is mostly down to consistent iron strikes though. Perhaps a more conservatives strategy off the tee too to give a better opportunity for approach shot to be successful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Russman

I think GIR is very important, and generally a good indicator of how you're playing, but in terms of trying to improve it, its probably more important to know what's causing it i.e. is it bad iron play or are your tee shots not giving you chances to hit greens ? I think, with the tracking devices, "strokes gained approach" is a better metric as it takes the approach play on its own merits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭almostover

Bought a set of ping G425 irons at the start of the year and it came free with 14 arccos sensors. I'm currently getting rid of the irons after one season, ball flight was way too high with them, lesson learned to get fit outdoors next time for irons / wedges. But I have held onto the arccos sensors and used them all year. Had a 1 month free trial and decided to pay for a year as a trial. I'm going to purchase another year's subscription as I feel it is well worth it. It's not going to be a game changer but the data that is recorded is super useful. Granted that I'm an engineer by trade and therefore would be very into the data side of things.

My handicap went from 9.1 to 10.4 over the course of the year, largely due to me purchasing a new house and only being able to play on Saturday mornings with not much practice in between. Did no lessons all year either. Arccos has my handicap at 10.2 based on stroked gained statistics so it is accurate. It also helped me identify some major gapping issues with my irons, the jacked lofts on the G425s meant I was hitting my 6i and 5i the same distance, and unbeknownst to me also my 5w and 4h also the same distance. So one job for the winter is to find a new set of irons and get them gapped by a pro. The 5w is my favourite club so I might just forego the 4h. Or else jack the loft of the 5w to make a 4w and drop the 3w. An hour on trackman with a pro will sort all that.

The main value was identifying where the weaknesses in my game are. I want to get back to 9 asap and Arccos shows that I'm +0.2 strokes gained against a 9 hcp for both approach play and putting, so the issues don't lie there.

I'm -0.3SG on short game, +0.5SG from 0-25 yd, -0.8SG from 25-50yd and 0SG from the sand. Therefore I need some lessons on 25-50yd pitching.

I'm -1.0 SG on driving, so that's how I get back to a 9. I'm 0.7SG on distance but -1.6 on accuracy. Hitting it plenty far enough but in trouble too often. Arccos also shows that I miss left 42% of the time and right 30% of the time. So again lessons on driver accuracy are needed.

If I want to delve deeper, I'm -0.3 Sg from 175-199yd on approach. Maybe because I'm hitting my 6i 179, 5i 181 and the 4h was going 207. But it also shows that I need to practice the long irons more. Two of the four par 3's on our course are approx. 185yd so gains to be made there.

On putting I'm ahead of a 9 handicap on strokes gained from every distance bar 6-9 ft where I'm -1.0 SG. So all my winter putting practice will be from 5-10 ft. I always assumed I was a crap putter and that it was holding me back but it turns out it's the strongest part of my game. Knowing that I think has made me put even better as psychologically I now know I'm a decent putter. The one caveat is that you have to review the round in Arrcos afterwards as sometimes the putts aren't picked up correctly.

That info alone is worth the yearly subscription. Gives me a plan for the winter.

1. Lessons to sort out driver, so I stay out of the tress and in bounds more often.
    2. Lessons on 25-50yd pitches, need to get closer to the hole here.
    3. Practice 6i and above on the range.
    4. Practice 5-10 ft putts at home on the putting mat.

If you're serious about improving at golf, trackers are a worthwhile investment. You'll gain far more from them than new clubs and for a fraction of the cost. I learned that the hard way this year!

Above is only a snippet of what can be learned. The dispersion stats are also very useful for plotting out where you should be aiming off the tee and approaching the green based on your average dispersion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Arcoss user here. Happily recommend it. I use it with my Applewatch and it's been great. Picks up pretty much every shot so I never have to mess with anything. Putting has been a bit off since I ditched my Cobra putter(which had a sensor built in) and now I use a putter without a sensor so just manaully put them in each hole, but generally have my phone in my pocket anyway.

Have found their Apple watch app and phone app to the best GPS I've ever used. Pretty accurate and good information.

Club distances are pretty accurate but they are a total, so it's worth putting the time in after each round to hide odd shots or yardages so it doesn't skew your data (and makes the caddie part work nicer too)

The data is excellent and I've found it to be very accurate.

What you do with that data though is a totally different ballgame. After getting a fair amount of data in there I found some surprising stuff, like for example my chipping was dogshit. And it was also telling me my putting was garbage. Both of this was news to me. It obviously can't factor in your course and potential difficulties it might have over other courses, but I've generally found it pretty accurate and reliable.

The caddie section is really brilliant and it's changed my outlook on the game, and for the better (from my results).Their head data guy bangs on alot about this on Twitter too. But in short I just committed to hitting longer and not worrying about being position A. Scoring been a lot better, and the data is sort of backing that up.

This data is useful if you see a huge weak point in your game, to go get a lesson and address. Or it might show some weak points that you can practice on and focus that practice. On the other hand will show you what your strong at which is good, and give you some pretty confidence boosting percentile stats against other Arcoss players :D

The cost wasn't a factor for me as I got the sensors as part of a Cobra deal. The sub is on par with things I pay like Netflix etc. so why not for something actively helping my game and giving me interest. I've had some sensors fail on me which was worrying, but their support are extremely responsive and on both occasions had replacements shipped quickly.

But I've had 5 sensors fail within a year, and they are covered under warranty. I'm a slight bit concerned how much it will be if they keep failing out of warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Anyone with a PRGR monitor? How accurate have you found them to be? Reviews online look good from a few sources.

• Advertisement

Yes I do and find them very accurate. Got mine on adverts to for €150.

Advertisement