Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So if you recorded Roads to Freedom I would skip the Colin Baker intro until you have watched the series as it spoils some of the scenes imo

As for the series itself ... powerful stuff. Brilliant acting. Bit stagey indoors production so far but can forgive that... think it brings you closer to the actors even if you lose film realism.

And for a novel to screen adaptation the voiceovers / narrations are as well done as they can be. Am glad they left some internal monologue in.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Same here, never saw it on original release. Also looking forward to the Singing Detective which I've never properly managed to see, bar one episode on UK Gold in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

It wouldn't work at all without the internal monologues. They are where we reach the"point" of Sartre's work. Without them, it would still be a workable drama with strong characters and a narrative arc so credit due for the decision to keep them in and not ignore the fact that "Roads to Freedom" is a philosophical work in essence. Can't imagine that being done today. We'd get fabulous, realistic sets and beautiful actors with on the nose costume design and a story about a group of people.

Himself absolutely hated it 😝. I'm hoping to convince him to see it through so he can appreciate the work in its entirety. Think I'm onto a losing battle there, though.

I just had a look at the BBC 4 schedule for next Saturday night - a rerun of Noel's House Party, Strictly and Blankety Blank. Dear oh dear, how this channel has fallen. That distant rumble you hear is the sound of Laure, Sarah and Kurt spinning in their graves.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There's also two programmes about Terry Wogan and one about Rik Mayall...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Whilst I won't watch any of the above, it does make some sort of sense in that this year is themed as 'BBC Classics coming to BBC4'.

So we are getting the Plays For Today, Black Stuff, Our Friends In The North, Roads to Freedom in the midweek slots, and some light entertainment stuff in the Saturday 7pm zone (which is when it was originally shown I guess). If the price we have to pay for the good programmes is some re-runs of stuff I wouldn't consider classic then so be it - I accept the pay-off. And I suspect there's people out there who consider Generation Game or House Party as more than worthy of the 'classic' tag.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Season 2 of Norwegian drama State of Happiness starts on BBC4 Saturday 20th August.

In true BBC4 style, it will be followed by an episode of "The Art of Scandinavia" presented by Andrew Graham-Dixon.

Roads to Freedom ends its run in the Wednesday slot tonight.

Next week it's The Buddha of Suburbia. This rather baffled me at the time and think I gave up on it quickly.

All I can remember is watching it in the (probably vain) hope we'd see his girlfriends disrobing

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

'Our Friends In The North' up next, starting Wednesday 14th.

BBC Two - Our Friends in the North, Series 1, 1964

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Filming for a special one-off episode of Detectorists in Suffolk has finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭cozar

Wisting S2 off to a great start tonight.

For Halloween, on Saturday 29th October, BBC4 will be repeating 3-part adaptation of The Green Man by Kingsley Amis starring Albert Finney.

I don't know too much about this one, seems a mish mash of genres.

Also from next Sunday and continuing through the following week, there's about 40 one-off episodes of various sitcoms. In truth for those of us with UK Gold most of it is stuff that has been shown a lot over the years.

Though I'll definitely be checking out the ep of The High Life to see if it's as funny as I remember. And interestingly they are showing an episode of the usually hidden Til Death Do Us Part (presumably the least controversial/racist one they could find!)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Anyone watching Wisting? I had a recent episode taped and it cut off on me just before the end.

It was the one where Wisting and friends find a suitcase and they discover it appears to have a secret compartment. The episode ended before I could find out what was inside it. Anyone remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭cozar

heroin.

All 4 episodes of House Of Cards next Wednesday (The BBC one with Ian Richardson obviously, not the recent Netflix one.)

"His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... in a spaniel or a whore, not, I think, in a Prime Minister."

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I finished Wisting. It was alright. Second half of the season was pretty weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭apache

I'm just catching up now. I think it's much better than what's been on. I'm liking it. I'm about half way through.

• Advertisement

Never really watched it but are they risking ripping the arse out of it completely with these specials like what happened to Only Fools and Horses?

Firstly, you should watch it, it's really good. It's a gem.

There's always a risk with these specials though the fact that's it still only 'BBC2 budget' would lead me to hope that they don't try anything too outlandish. And Mackenzie Crook seems a level-headed guy who wouldn't do it unless he had an idea he felt would work. There hasn't been any tabloid pressure for more Detectorists the way there was pressure on John Sullivan for more OFAH. Although increasing from 30 minutes to 75 minutes means they are likely going to have to leave their established zone (though hopefully not to Miami and an 'hilarious' meeting with a lookalike Mafia don etc)

edit:

Trying to think back to the last episode, so minor spoilers. Everyone had found some peace - a house had been bought after a long search, a father/daughter estranged relationship reconciled, previous enmities resolved. It would be a shame if they feel the need to spend the first half of the ep destroying that just to build it up again. We'll see I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭cobham

Just binged on the previous episodes of Detectorists = all now available on Youtube...( the last scene of last episode was the nest shedding its overflow...) Great to find the old episodes again as otherwise thought needed BBC iplayer. It used to be on Netflix when we first got same but no longer.

Will miss Diana Rigg in it though! Like all ‘specials’ it will probably involve going abroad maybe for metal detecting on an archeological dig somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

its been confirmed for stephen's day at 9pm on bbc 2 with the Danebury metal detecting club in threat of closure

Whats happening with the scheduling of the final two episodes of the Crow Road?

Didn't they show all 4 episodes, but in 'omnibus' form. It was originally 4 x 1 hour but they showed it as 2 x 2 hour. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Then that was a strange ending! Surely that's not it?!

Did they not just show the first two episodes?

• Advertisement

Looks like they showed episode 3 and 4 on Thursday 15th which is annoying for anyone who got into expecting the classic season slot to be Wednesday.

BBC Four - The Crow Road, Omnibus, Fergus/Rory

I can't comment on the ending as decided to skip this one as I always get an overloading of recordings over Christmas.

Advertisement