Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glove weather

Options
  • 11-11-2022 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭

Back in the day, I'd be wearing the (thermal) gloves on my hands by now.

Cycled to work today in tshirt and shorts.

WTF?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Climate change,innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Yup - undeniable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Same. I'd usually be in the tights and Mistral at this time of years but went in to the office in shorts, jersey, and mitts the other day. OK, I had leg and arm warmers on the way in, but ditched them to come home

Not cycling but related, I went to the Munster match in Parc Ui Caoimh last night and having bitter (cold) memories of being flayed alive by wind blowing through the Aviva or Thomond at this time of year, had layered myself up only to have sweat dripping off me. Only good thing that can be said about it is it means we're not having to crank up the heating given the price of gas,

Got up around 2am to open the window, we had colder nights in summer I reckon. Even with the wind I was roasted this morning on the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

What current weather reminds me most of is Donegal beaches in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It reminds me of Spain this time of year a decade ago which is fkn scary.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

It's mental. Had 3 big bumble bees bumble into me this week - I hope they haven't prematurely come out of hibernation with the heat 🙁

And then you see the inaction on climate change, its intensely frustrating.

It's disturbingly warm. It's a climactic uncanny valley right now. And we're very unaffected really. Pacific Island people have been losing their homes for years. The floods in Pakistan.

And we're only going to make it worse. Those that can influence it have chosen money over global population survival.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭billyhead

We'll pay for it in the New Year I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya I don't think the bad weather season has shortened just shifted. It late January - February - March is now winter season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I was getting the gear ready for the club spin tomorrow and ended up, like every other weekend lately, with half the wardrobe out for all eventualities. No idea if I'll be in shorts and fingerless mitts or rain jacket and overshoes

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Climate change is our fault as cyclists, if only we paid our road tax there be more funds in the kitty to fix it.

(joking, obvs)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

100% I was only saying this the other day winter season has definitely shifted. It's mild this year but last year it was even milder right up and into December. We had a cold snap a couple of weeks ago for a day or two just to remind us.

Looking at the positives if we aren't submerged due to climate change, we'll be a very popular location in years to come. 🫠

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As someone posted in AH recently:

Too hot: Climate change

Too cold: Climate change

Too rainy: Climate change

Too windy: Climate change

Hardly unexpected in AH.

But yeah, to be out cycling in shorts in mid November is, eh, different. And welcome. Although it looks like cooler conditions are set for next week so the gloves may get an outing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

But yeah, to be out cycling in shorts in mid November is, eh, different. And welcome.

i would disagree with the welcome verdict. i don't think comfortable cycling conditions is a reasonable price to play for possible climate meltdown.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I preferred when it was cold. I'd be in shorts anyway up until it was really unbearable, but it's just wrong now. There are still bumble bees about, there are wild flowers growing that should be dead 2 months.

Could so with a nice crisp frost

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Way prefer cycling in the cold aswell, braced myself for the cold breeze at 06:00 the other morning when I was going out to get the bike, instead it was like stepping out into the garden on a Summers night, or Spain as someone already said, it's crazy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

went out in summer gear this morning and for the first half of my cycle (which was generally with the wind) was sweating profusely. had a very brief chat with someone wearing a mistral jacket who admitted he was way overdressed.

15.5C at 10:30am in the middle of november...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm heading for the train at 6am most mornings and sweating buckets in a jersey and top. Tis mental weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Cycling in warm weather is always welcome. Climate meltdown is not welcome. I do what I can on a personal level to mitigate climate change but I'm not going to feel guilty about not using leg warmers in November. I'll just play the hand I'm dealt rather than flagellate.

Nobody with half a brain would suggest that warm winter cycling is a reasonable price to pay for climate 'meltdown'.

Advertisement