Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Two surgeries in a few days meant missed all news of the last few days,

Brilliant to see Ukrainans retake Kherson despite the doom and gloom of the predictions on this thread over the last few weeks,

The question is now Where to next meipol, Mariupol, Svastaspol?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think they had to retreat from Kherson because it was too difficult to supply weaponry. The Kerch bridge is barely functional right now, otherwise they have to transport weapons all the way across the south of Ukraine, with most railway routes being within target.

There were satellite pics floating around during the week of Russians digging trenches in Crimea (can't seem to find them). They are expecting company down there for the winter.

Everyone that was charged to defend Odessa, Mykolaiv, Kryvyi Rih, is now available for the East of the country. As are lot of Russians too, but the Russians will also have to defend their new front across the River from Kherson. The Ukrainians won't need to bother, as they know the Russians won't cross back over (and can't cross because they blew the bridges).

When the Russians said they were retreating to save soldiers lives, there may have been truth in that. Not from a humanitarian perspective but from a numbers perspective. They couldn't have afforded a mass capture or surrender. Maybe there was inklings of a potential mass surrender, which is why they granted the retreat.

They key for Ukraine now is to drive south to Melitopol and split the front into 2. Isolating the Crimea/Kherson front

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭circadian

This was Dugins idea in foundations of geopolitics, I wonder how much sway he has in the Kremlin to get them to go along with the idea that Ukraine has no right to exist. I doubt Putin was the only one he has the ear of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

They would want to be able to put a local accent on fairly sharpish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Maybe at a political level, but every one of those killed or wounded Russian soldiers are someone's son, husband, brother, father, nephew etc. And given the general falling birth rate as noted at top of this thread, that's going to hurt a lot. There was little appetite for conscription and less for body bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Isn't there the small matter of a rather large river in the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,835 ✭✭✭✭briany

Sounds more like apathy than a gritty ability to withstand the psychological strain that death and destruction brings. The problem is that apathy cuts both ways and it impairs the will to fight. That's why Ukraine will win this conflict rather than some drunk and disorganised Russians nihilistically shrugging their way to destruction under a leader who couldn't give two shiny shítes about any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,083 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ukraine can use the river to their advantage also. They'll be able to cross it at night to harass the russians as well as shell the other bank. I don't see russia having the same crossing ability. I'd probably be looking at Melitpol and the sea next but what do I know 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

There's a bridge connecting the rail line from Crimea to Kherson oblast. If it's now striking range for Ukraine they can permanently sever all rail supplies from Crimea meaning the only good resupply route is from the East and that's within striking distance.

Could make defending the south and cities like Melitopol and berdyansk very hard for the Russians. I feel they'll try and take Svatove and the town's along it's axis but go for a big victory in the south to cut off Crimea and the coast for good.

If Russia keeps throwing everything at the Donbass it makes sense to stay in defence wiping out the newly mobilised. After Crimea is cut off and the south is retaken then they should go for Luhansk and Donetsk cities while leaving Crimea till last.

Could take 12 months or longer but if Ukraine have the will I feel they'll outlast the Russians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭threeball

I think they should take the respite on that front that the river provides, leave a small holding force, a few himars to keep the Russians busy then head up to Zaporizhia to open another attack towards Bahkmut and split the Russian forces, on to Donetsk and then head south, avoiding the need to cross the river until they need to. Mariupol suffered to most but unfortunately its going to have to wait til last, its too close to Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I would say that's accurate. Cut off supplies to the south and retake as much as possible.

I would hope theyd head to Crimea sooner. Bust the Kerch bridge and sink any resupply ships. When the Russians run low on supplies then attack from land and sea.

The Ukrainians don't have to retake every square mile of land. They need to make Putin's position untenable and push for a peace treaty that restores their borders.

Hopefully it's a question of who cracks first. Putin or the Russian Army.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

But they didn't. Why? Booby trapped maybe.? For sure here was a very large qty of munitions stored in the place showed on RTE. Maybe more will be discovered as the explore and de-mine the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

Emotional stuff. The Russians are fucked. Imagine the motivation for the Ukrainian army, knowing that every meter that they liberate, is liberating their people living there.

I hope they beat those vermin back into a feudal existence.

Post edited by interlocked on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They can cross further north in areas that they control. The Dnipro is now a problem for Russia only and a defence for Ukraine.

Many of those in Kherson must have thought they'd never be liberated when the mighty Russian army first rolled in. Truly delighted for them.

Putin, I'm scarlet for your mother for having you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Videos are incredible. Putting aside Putin's failed gambles and Russias disastrous military misadventure, he's managed to put an international spotlight on Ukrainian pride and cultural identity - something he claimed never existed in the first place.

You would almost feel sorry for the poor schmucks who haplessly wandered into Ukraine in the first few days in complete disarray, after being told they'd be welcomed with open arms and flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think the answer to that "what" is one word in this pic, can you spot it?

Nah. Zelensky will will just walk down to the shore, the waters will part and he'll just walk across the riverbed, to the middle and stand there, pull a filled bagutte out and get into that, while his army crosses, then stroll back and then return to Kyiv.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

I was talking to a friend of mine during the week. She mentioned about the Ukrainian woman and two kids that she had taken in since January. I was looking at her in disbelief. Sorry, did I not tell you, she said. The family are from Kerson. Her husband was a professional soldier. They had an apartment in the city. They locked the door and left. She was heading over to Romania this weekend, to meet her husband for the first time since they left. He had got four days leave to do so. Her neighbour had stayed on Kerson and she sent her a video she took. The Russians had stripped their flat, took everything, down to clothes and duvets. This Ukrainian woman disappeared down town during the week. When my friend asked her what she had been doing, she said she was buying a winter jacket for her husband, because everything they had was in the apartment. Her friend is living locally. Her husband was a ballet dancer, and joined the Ukrainian army. He was killed recently.

It's going to be a bittersweet reunion this weekend, they expected the city to be in ruins, if they ever returned, but the human cost is incalculable.

Fuck Russia. And, remember, when people complain about the cost of looking after Ukrainians, we're doing our bit and should be proud of it. Ukraine won't forget.

• Advertisement

I wager these will have been some of the best armed troops. So could be a huge pay day for Ukraine in hardware that can actually be used pretty much straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

If Putin lived, and was punished, for 500,000 lifetimes it still wouldn't be enough to atone for what he has done.

Why 500,000? - well, 100,000 are estimated to have died so far, and each of those had family and friends.

Then there's the injured, the traumatised, the amputees, etc.

You're so right about the Ukrainian people remembering our varying levels of support, I've been appreciated for simply shooting my mouth off.

I'm unimpressed by those who are more interested in their holidays and makeovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've felt all along he made a massive miscalculation by invading Ukraine. Population of the country just before the invasion was 44m and it's one of the biggest countries in Europe. This would have been a hugely risky move at the best of times : it would have been very hard to subjugate such a big country long term and with the international community against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Where are they now? the ones who vicariously invested so heavily in mighty, glorious, noble Russia.

Technology sank Russia and saved Ukraine from an even worse outcome, they couldn't hide their brutality and incompetence from so many smartphones and satellites. They picked the wrong fight basically.

Well they're getting their buttocks branded and Putin will get his little ferret snout rubbed into his own stinking excrement.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

As with many who left, they only want to go home, I know a few that have stuck it out for a long time, the last - only last week she left (Kherson)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭dvega

Can't remember if it was CNN or New York Times, I read so many but they had a good finish to the article, Putin the man may survive but Putin the legend is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes it would have been easy to do. so why not? It not from the kindness of their heart's anyway. The next few days will tell a lot, and unfortunately, a lot of it will be very unpleasant, as has been the case in previous similar situations when the Ruzzians were outed.

If they cut the water and power from Crimea then they will risk being shot from behind in that stronghold. Simply not an option for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

An Mi-8 that was previously in the hands of Ukraine has been returned.

I am assuming it was non-flyable when Ukraine lost it at the start of the war, and Russia did little to improve it.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile, the main ideologist of the "Russian world" Dugin calls for the execution of Putin

Of course, the post did not last long and was deleted, but the Internet does not forget anything

Looks like there is about to be another death in the Dugin family . Wonderful news.

The Orcs are at each others throats - good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement