Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best European Cycling location

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭seanin4711

So delighted to state that we are all booked for 4 days cycling in GC last week in Feb.

Flights - Dub- GC Aer Lingus €150

Bike hire - freemotion €120 for the 4 days( stay local with the BH!)

https://www.free-motion.com/en/bikes?model_type=3,20&plocId=1

Accommodation - Vista flor bungalows

https://hotelesvistaflor.com/bungalowsvistaflor/

lumpy i hear over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

For €120 you could bring your own bike on the flight! 🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I'm just back from Bologna with Ryanair. No problem bringing bike. 60 euro each way. 30 kg limit.

my bike is not as good as what FM provide.

plus i dont have a bike box

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Plus you don’t have to lug your bike to and from airports and worry about damage etc. I think bringing it with you only makes sense if significantly cheaper (eg a long term stay), you are touring or you’re particularly fussy about having exact fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Nothing to it really...

Plus. always nice to have your own bike...Your own wheels, gears, saddle etc. and in the case of a MTB even more so as rentals require a lot of setup to get right...

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭EAD

Ferry just booked for two bikes to Roscoff for next summer. Will be second time cycling in rural Brittany - fabulous place for it - wonderful spot with a great mix of unspoiled countryside, quiet rods, quaint villages and livelier but manageable towns. Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Copy of my post from daily cycles thread:

In summary cycling in Gran Canaria is top class. Fantastic experience as was using Free Motion for bike rental and a tour.

Not today's cycles but my last bike adventures. Weeks holiday with the wife in Gran Canaria. Based ourselves out of Maspalomas for the 1st half and rented a couple of bikes from Free Motion. I got a Specialized Tarmac with Rival EPS and the better half who will cycle but refuses to go uphill rented a Specialized Cruz ebike.

First ride was part of a tour organised by Free Motion. 65k with 1300m of climbing. First climb of 6k at 6% followed by a short descent then a 9k climb at 6.3%. Then a rolling descent the whole way home. Weather was perfect; mid 20s and blue skies. I've never cycled climbs that long before. They're pretty hard to find in Ireland. So I took the pace pretty easy as I didn't want to blow up. Probably had a bit more to give but it was a fantastic day in the saddle, the scenery is amazing and climbing and descending mountain roads full of switchbacks was a whole new experience. Especially descending! My bike handling definitely needs some improvements!

Morning Ride | Ride | Strava

For our second cycle it was just the 2 of us. So I planned an 85k route with 1800m of climbing. Bit of light gravel thrown in for good luck. The wife's battery on her bike died just as we reached the summit of the main climb so it was an interesting 2nd half trying to nurse her home. We had to do some walking on a couple of the steeper ramps as like I mentioned earlier, she is not one for the climbs.

GC Cycle #2 | Ride | Strava

Overall a great experience. Free Motion were top notch as was the tour guide. Amazing cycling. Views were incredible. Wife also really enjoyed it which will definitely make it easier to plan another holiday like this. Only downside was my Karoo2 lost GPS before the top of the mountain on both days so that is the reason for no KOMs. Also passed by Pavel Sivakov and Lauren De Plus on some training spins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭billyhead

When did you go? I'm considering heading to Gran Canaria aswell.

Just to add, Brittany Ferries have a new ship on the Rosslare Bilbao route, and they now can take foot passengers and cyclists, might be useful for Asturias / Cantabria / Basque region for some.

thanks for the review of GC.

all booked for Feb 23!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The good thing about staying in Maspalomas, is when you come off the mountains and join the coast to the east of it, then you often get a monster tailwind home. We'd be hitting 70+kph on the flat for parts of it.

We got lucky with the wind for both our cycles as a the remainder of the holiday was pretty breezy. Even at that on the 2nd cycle it got pretty windy up in the mountains at times. Was pretty hairy at times turning around a corner and being hit by a gust.

Madeira?

heading there on an inpromptu trip next Thurs for weekend with the missus for her birthday, looks class and very hilly!

might get away with the runners only this trip!

(3) Why Madeira is the perfect cycling destination - Telegraph Travel - YouTube

(3) The most spectacular road I've ridden | SCOTT Foil in Madeira - YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Can't believe this thread is 3 pages in and no one has said St Jeans de Maurienne!

Col de Madeleine, Croix de Fer, Glandon, Telegraphe, Galibier, Col du Mollard, Lacets de Montvernier, col du chuassy, la toussuire, and a myriad of lesser known climbs. For a concentration of cols on your doorstep it's unbeatable imo

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭devonp

I'm thinking of the Alps this summer, (been to GC and the Pyrennes), for a week in early June...whats the nearest airport to St JdM ??

(I was considering Briancon[for the above climbs] and flying into Turin or Geneva, think there is a train from Turin to Briancon)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

We flew to Lyons. It's only a couple of hours drive from there. You can probably fly to Grenoble too.

Luz St Sauveur is the Pyrenees equivalent. Haven't been but it's in my sights.

Another excellent cycling destination not yet mentioned is Girona. Brilliant set up for bikes and rentals and beautiful roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

If one was to fly to Lourdes at the end of April, what sort of conditions would one find on the cols? Would they be open? I dont mind bringing winter gear but would it be very cold at higher elevations? Would it be worth waiting till later in the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Exiled1

Some cols might be closed in late april. It gets wickedly cold at elevation at that time of year and you could also have to deal with windy conditions. The French side of the Pyrenees is very green for a reason.... lots of rain. there is still lots of cycling from bases like Argeles Gazost or Luz st Sauveur. Imo best to do the area in late May/June or September.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Cool, thanks for your advice, makes sense.

Gran Canaria- wawaweewa! Class cycling location

4 hour flight - from Dublin with Aer lingus

Based in Maspalomas - Vistaflor bungalows - 3 star does what you need- epic breakfast included €60 a night

3 days cycling bikes hired in Freemotion - Playa des ingles

Bike: BH RS1 -gorgeous machine carbon aero ultegra Di2 (11-34 and boy was i glad of it)€39 per day

Had only a couple of longish spins in advance(flatland expert) zero climbing legs but am a bit better now after 3000m+ over three days.

2k day one and 500m+ for the other 2 days.

Guys i went with did 5K + meters - wasn't overly interested in flogging myself.

would definitely go back but for a week next time.

not as busy as Majorca and routes are challenging and super scenic.

good weather all year round whereas in the Med its really end of March onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Denny61

Magilly cuddy reeks in kerry

A high nelly .lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Turin isn't far and Briancon easily accessible from there. Lyons is further away, and Grenoble AFAIK doesn't have direct flights year round. Briancon has the Lautaret + Galibier, the Izoard, and the Granon on its doorstep.

Regardless of where you go, it's worth keeping an eye on dates for "Cols Fermes" (accent missing on that - nothing to do with farms!). In the summer months the grand cols usually get closed to traffic once a month for a morning in rotation, so it's feasible if you were to time it right to have 2 or 3 of them open only to bikes. Given the narrowness of the roads and proximity of Italian drivers, this is a very good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Has anybody on here used this new service? if so what was it like for price, onboard facilities, comfort (depending what time of year travelling)

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

I haven't personally, but friends of our have used it in previous years to get their camper and surf mad kids in range of Portugal. Their opinion is that it was a very barebones experience. 36 hours odd crossing, not much in the way of facilities on board, limited choice of expensive eating options. That said, they've taken it a few time since - just took enough food to cater for and the wherewithal to entertain themselves. Note that it seems to be a new ship, so things may have improved, but still a good way to get to the north of Spain providing you're going for long enough to justify 4 days traveliing to get there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not used them, but as said, always been regarded as more basic than Irish Ferries, but cheaper too. We looked into it pre-covid as we wanted to go further south (and I wanted the basque country for the cycling). We ended up opting for an overnight on the way to the south of France - not just ferry related, but obviously Irish Ferries from Dublin, and Brittany Ferries were Cork. Never happened anyway due to the pandemic!

• Advertisement

Hi All,

its that time of year once more!

looking for accomodation options in Pollenca and/or Alcudia.

best bike hire in same areas too?

flights booked for Mid April 24

thanks

J

Advertisement