Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbours children cracked our windscreen

• 09-11-2022 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

.a

Post edited by skinny90 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

You don't have any evidence. I don't think a modern sliotar could do any damage to a modern windscreen, especially not take a chip out of it, and especially if it ricocheted off a wall after being hit by a child.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭893bet

Cant see a ball causing a chip, a smash yes, but a chip no. More likely a stone while driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭893bet

Might be covered for free under your insurance policy also by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,545 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A chip would likely be a stone, you sure it wasn't done before you parked up?

Ball damage would be circular, like this ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

a.

Post edited by skinny90 on

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Yes, it would be unreasonable in my view.

Stone chips are caused by a combination of the velocity of the stone and the velocity of the car.

In this case the car was stationary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Even if that is what happened you have no evidence of it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I don't think the chip from a wall would have enough force to chip the windscreen, without any evidence of the kids next door causing the damage yiu don't have much of a case but if you have windscreen cover on your insurance it probably won't cost anything to get it fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Leave it go, domestic peace is too important to risk.

Tou probably have windscreen cover. Tell your insurance you just noticed it and don’t know how it occurred.

• Advertisement

Yeah thats fair enough, I guess its the initial thought process of the whole thing, but yeah after rationalizing and then get a 2nd opinion here it is probably best to just get it replaced with insurance.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Kids sliotars wouldnt me much heavier than a tennis ball, would be amazed if they caused any damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭b v

Even if you do have evidence parents are not liable for torts committed by their children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭beachhead

They could be,if proven to be deliberate or otherwise,not exercising due care.Could be an expensive civil action though

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭b v

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,716 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Ordinary principles of negligence apply. If you give your 13-year old a gun, say, or the keys to the car, or otherwise put in him in a situation that a child can't be expected to handle competently and responsibly, and damage is foreseeable, and damage results, you're on the hook. Same may go, depending on the circumstances, if your child is in that situation and you do nothing about it (as opposed to having put him in that situation yourself).

But "child kicks ball, ball breaks window" and similar common accidents involving children are very much not that situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Generally, with the laminated windows used in cars these days (and since a very long time back) would not be chipped by a ball or other smooth surface. Stone chips on the other hand, are sharp and hard, and when kicked up by a car wheel travelling at any kind of speed, are more than capable of chipping a windscreen.

Advertisement