Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Gutting. Very disappointing but fair play to UCD.

It's a bear pit in the top half of the First Division. I think we're getting to the stage where the Premier Division ought to have 12 teams, but that's for another day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Because Waterford aren't good enough to beat UCD in a game we should have a 12 team league? I'd need that one explained to me. Waterford had 2 opportunities to get promoted (win the league or win a one off game tonight) they could do neither so they're where they belong.

Fair play UCD. After a nuclear winter there'd be Cockroaches and UCD playing ball in the Bowl!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Fair play to UCD but it’s definitely a negative for the premier league . I know il get the head taken off me here because UCD have earned it but just for the league as regards attendances , atmosphere, local interest a college team with no support is not what you want in your premier league .

Take nothing away from their performance though and as I said they earned it

I think that the Premier Division would be better with more than ten teams.

Playing every team four times a year isn't great.

I think the minimum wage coming in will focus minds about the commercial realities. I think some premier clubs will be delighted to have the added income from a well supported Cork team next season attending away games.

Clubs like Galway and Waterford would also add value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

I just can't see ucd as a negative, they're stable. If they could play Thursdays it would be huge benefit to them surely in terms of attendance. As many clubs are "full time" they're also dependant on their players being able to earn elsewhere so thursdays would be a killer. Outside of any derby games traveling support is often negligible too

The low levels of fans isn't great but Waterford probably wouldn't be here if they didn't sack their manager pre playoff last year, that instability is a diabolical sell. Many other countries have college teams too, UNAM pumas play out of a 40k stadium in Mexico amd they arent the only colege team that features in the top flight there. The league as a whole just had a marketing issue, to lay it at ucds door is a major excuse imo.

Also.. congrats to them, they seemed to have that grit to dig it out lately I thought they could survive but as we were so bad can't say I was sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Well, that's not actually how the game went at all though, UCD didn't "get at" anyone, they scored from a set piece after 10-15 minutes and went into their shell for the rest of the game.

Waterford just panicked too often when opportunities presented themselves, wasteful with the final ball too often or blazing shots over the bar.

Fair play to UCD, they toughed it out and held on. Always managed to get bodies in the way to block shots and fought hard for second balls.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Playing clubs 4 times isn't an issue, at least it's fair. When the league had 12 teams clusb were paying each other 3 times and it gave some sides an unfair advantage. As clubs chasing Europe or titles or fighting relegation had an extra home game against a rival.

I would think LOI clubs are fairly well focused on commercial realities. The league tried shoe horning basket cases in the past when Galway were picked over Dundalk to be in the FAIs "New Premier Division". That ended with Nick Lesson and a club going bust!

Cork, Waterford and Galway have been basket cases the most recent times they were in the Premier.

They also need to be competing at the higher end of the table to get bigger crowds. Their support has a history of being fickle. A mid-table Cork next year will be getting a fraction of the crowds a title winning FD Cork side had this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Really looking forward to the game tomorrow. Bringing one of my lads. Really got the buzz back over the last few years with shels. Would love them to win tomorrow then United win anything this and next season. I’m with duffer, a win tomorrow would be the most satisfying football moment for decades for me… Come on shels.

Dundalk can't talk when it comes to basket cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

I’d agree. It’s not UCDs fault, but I do think it’s a poor reflection on the Premier Division, and some of the bigger clubs stuck in Division 1, that they can consistently survive in the Premier, and then usually manage to get themselves back up fairly sharpish when they do go down. As I said, it’s more a reflection on clubs with much bigger fan bases than them, who should be doing better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

That's not exactly accurate. The entirety of the first half was relatively even. We probably should have gone two up in the first half and the only half chance Waterford had was blocked. Waterford did dominate the second half as you'd expect being a full time team chasing the game. But to say UCD just sat back after the goal isn't correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Ah ye kinda did like, I'm not saying ye shelled up like ye did in the second half (though still managed a break now and then of course) but for sure the game plan purely became sit back and catch Waterford on the break.

You know what though, there was a short spell after the goal where UCD were totally dominant in fact so maybe I'm misremembering but I thought from about 25 minutes on UCD just sat almost exclusively. The Waterford game plan in the first half was diabolical, and made worse by Waz up top.

It's a little besides the point though to the thrust of my original reply to the poster. It was nothing to do with knowing how to get at Baptiste and Cantwell, it was a set piece goal that decided the game. Not sure who blew the defensive duty to allow him to get a free header in the box but he took it well and carried a threat throughout I thought albeit on breakaways.

In truth UCD were comfortable for most of the game, and when the desperate defending was needed they stood up to the task. I felt Waterford missed Roland too and were pretty one dimensional, phoenix didn't hit the target once I'd say which is unusual for him.

10 shots off target for Waterford out of 12 shots on goal.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I'll be rooting for Derry tomorrow.

There is an arrogance about Duff and Shelbourne this season that is quite unlikeable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Never, ever, liked Shelbourne, Derry all the way for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Taking my youngest today for his first match. Sitting here waiting for the bus and he's losing his mind already.

First match I was brought to was at the brandywell for a cup final, don't think it was the treble season but it was around that time. Was hooked ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

That was unbelievable.Dundalk beat Waterford over 2 games and still stay in the 1st division and Waterford stay where they were. And Galway get promoted from 3rd..you couldn’t make it up.

Just arrived and the temperature is building. Can’t believe some fans still drinking away i. Pubs without a care as I was running to the stadium.

Come on shels…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Wonderful pass, great control and cross and a neat finish, a deserved lead for Derry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

That's a lovely goal. Nice to see it isn't been too cagey a final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Yeah, great move, and Derry deserving of the lead. Just wonder if Brendan Clarke might have done better. Not a lot of pace on the shot.

Long way back for Shels now, could be a rout if Derry are up for it.

2-0 down the left this time, whipped in, defender could only put it on a plate for McJannet. Can't 't see anyway way back for Shels now.

Shels will do well to get to ht at 2 down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Shels have been terrible. Can't defend and can't attack. Two nice goals from Derry.

Was thinking this with few mins to go. Derry well worth their lead and Shels have offered nothing so far.

• Advertisement

32,412 in attendance.

3-0 good corner in, no one picked up his run and McJannett"s knee touches it home.

Duffy off the bar.

Men against boys feel to it.

This reminds me of shels at start of the season, offering nothing up front and looking like a league below opponents. Awful performance and very disappointing end to the season.

Some Shels fans fighting each other now behind the goal. Muppets.

Edit: a shels fan behind me came up to me as I was shaking my head in disgust. He said he saw a bunch of non shels fans heading down to that section earlier. Regards less it’s a sad end to season, nobody wants to see that.

Well done Derry, game never in doubt, top quality performance and well deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

That's humiliating for Shels and Duff.

They were dreadful.

Pats happy.😀

ex Dundalk players to win league and cup medals this year

Gannon

Hoare

Towell

Finn

Cleary

McElaney

Duffy

Dummigan

Pickering

Not forgetting Connolly and Higgins ( who

in fairness saw the difference Connolly would make)

(i am also aware they all started elsewhere)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Looking forward to another European campaign next season. Thanks Derry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well done Derry.

Shels fan will probably come along and say staying up was main priority this season and cup was secondary like usual.

Showed their true class today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What a game.

What a result.

What an occasion.

If Carlsberg did Cup Finals....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Why didn't they let him take the peno for his hat trick, from full back!!!!!! It would be a nice bit of history

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

First Cup final hattrick in all of two years?

• Advertisement

Thought that myself.

Did seem strange. Would have been a great cap on his performance.

But McEneff won the penalty so I assumed that's why they let him take it? Or else there is some other reason behind the scenes none of us are privy to.

Well done Derry. Forgot to say that earlier. 😨

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's a cup final, no worrying about silly stats, just put your best taker on it and put the ball in the net.

Well McEneff was only on the pitch, and he has only played a matter of minutes for us this season.

So I'd hardly guess he's our best penalty taker. Unless he never misses in training!

And on another subject, a pet hate of mine, nice to see the country's premier cup final relegated to 2nd spot on the TodayFM sports news. Ronnie's relationship with his manager is more important. Kinda sums up our media's attitude to our local game here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Who has the praise for Dervin been coming from out of interest? He’s been an extremely honest squad player who will probably be around the bubble for making the squad next year if we have a bit more budget to work with.

In terms of the game itself, I wouldn’t say I’d the highest expectations, but I don’t think I expected Derry to be that dominant either. The lack of Matty Smith and a fit Shane Farrell was clearly fatal for us.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Moylan is a class act already and only just turned 21. Bohs are definitely not happy with their decision to have let him go.

Smith is signed with Derry this coming year, but would like to think/hope he will be back with us.

Lennon is linked with Bohs I think. I haven't seen him or McCormack leaving actually confirmed anywhere. I'm in two minds with regards to Lennon, he can be really good at times but for a holding midfielder he can be pushed too far up at times and leave space for attackers to run at the defenders.

I'm surprised that Tunde is let go.

What's the deal there KK?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Paddy Kirk return to Bohs a done deal.

• Advertisement

He didn't start very much and while he caused chaos when he came off the bench most of the time. His goals to shot ratio wasn't great and bar a hattrick against Bohs he didn't do much when he started. I'd have kept him as an impact sub but I assume he wanted regular football.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement