Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big bus driver shortage. Why in the name of god would you drive a bus these days anyway...

Comments

I was thinking the same thing.. I’ve been on buses in several counties in Ireland over the past 13-14 years & I’ve never seen or heard of a bus driver being pulled over by Gardai to check paper work.

In fact they’ve always been waved through checkpoints that may be setup by Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,686 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

The shortages seem to be impacting the quality of driver taken on by DB.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Is true. Some bus drivers are on over 70,000 euro per year

But not all as it’s a hybrid system. Some work for the State like CIE which is CFL. Some work for the council like Ville de Luxembourg/ think DCC. And a huge amount of buses are privately operated contracts so the bus company pays you.

You can have 3 bus drivers doing much of the same route but getting different wages.

People in Luxembourg have a bit of a fascination with bus driver wages but most drivers and certainly the newer drivers are not on the old State contracts

The passenger cares not at all. It doesn’t matter who provides the bus. The bus will clearly show if it’s privately run and more & more of the bus routes are contracted out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hairymaryberry

"Question: are you required to return to depot? In any case, seems a bit mean to end a shift away from the depot."

How do drivers get into work for 1st bus? So you are in depot for 06:00 get the bus and off to work you go, finish in City centre and make your way back to depot get in car and go home.

How do drivers get home after driving last bus? Get in car and away they go.

Remember no bus to bring driver to work for first bus and home after last bus, you have to sort that out yourself.

Before the new pay deal, early duties from 06:00 to 15:00 start and finish in depot, late duties 15:00 to 00:00 start and finish in depot, then you had duties that start in depot at 06:00 and finish in City centre at 14:30 they have 30 minutes to get back to depot and lates duties "clock on" at 15:00 in depot with start in city centre at 15:30 and finish in depot at 00:00.

Both duties are 9 hours when you include "traveling time". Now after the pay deal for €25 both duties finish or start at 15:00, so the drivers of the city center duties are down 30 minutes per day, an extra 2.5 hours per week.

Is that clear?

Does anyone still think drivers voted for that for €25 a week?

As i posted earlier, get out of bed early Sunday and you will see buses on their way empty to terminus get stopped by Gardai shortly after they have left the depot.

Par for the course unfortunately, abuse is common.

Unrealistic running times.

Simplified so all can understand

You are given 60 minutes for a journey, regularly take 70-75 minutes, get to terminus call control , "I m late what will i do" usually controller will tell you head of now.

So you start at 12:00 each journey is 60 minutes, arrive at outer terminus at 13:10, back to town at 14:25, back to outer terminus arrive at 15:35, so you call control " im supposed to break in town at 16:00 what will i do?" get told head in empty, so there is one departure dropped.

Arrive in town at 15:25 call control," im 25 minutes late breaking, im supposed to be back at 16:00 im taking my full 1 hour break, i'll pick the bus up at location xyz where its parked". So now the bus thats coming in to hand over to me at 16:00 has no driver to hand over to (may not be running he might also be coming in empty to try get back on time)

So for certain 1 departure dropped, possibly 2 if the driver coming into hand over to me is late and is coming in empty, i come back after taking my break and am late, call control and i get sent empty to outer terminus to get back on time for the 17:00 back in to town, the driver that was to hand over to me earlier could be in the same boat, so 4 departures dropped.

This leads to big gaps in service, the buses that are running are packed and delayed , making them late, its a problem that multiplies, all because insufficient running time for journey, can be fixed with realistic running time, but thats a bridge the NTA dont seem to want to cross.

Now all these missed departures leave those buses running very busy with irate passengers giving drivers a earful, no wonder they cant get new drivers? Just angry passenger and the drivers have done nothing wrong.

Now i know many will be moaning you still have a 35 minute break, lets break it down, 10 minutes walk from Parnell Square to DB canteen, 5 minutes up the stairs to use toilet, 10 minutes in queue to get food, 10 minutes to walk back to Parnell Square to start second half.

As you can see that is 35 minutes before you eat your food and around here loads of bitching about waiting for a driver to turn up for hand over, can you blame a driver for taking the full hour break?

So, the drivers aren't required to return to the depot if they finish in the cc. How they get to and from work is their own business. It's crappy to finish a shift in a different location to where you started, but obviously DB needed to work in some efficiencies, as I doubt the drivers would have taken any sort of pay cut....cuts which would have been done in the private sector and cuts that the public sector saw after the crash. My OH is a civil servant and her salary still hasn't been fully restored after all these years. Why are DB drivers so insulated from the same agreements most others had to swallow?

IMO, an extra 2.5 hours per week is a small price to pay for the position. I think the drivers voted for the deal, as there was no way to secure their jobs without it. They could hardly go get a better deal from the competitors.

What is the training required to become a bus driver now? Assume a B license is already held.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭techman1

I wonder are all the cycle lanes a big issue for bus drivers now and the increased stress loads. Before you just had to concentrate on the vehicle traffic which was fairly predictable, however now you have to be aware of cyclists flying down beside you on your left hand side. Because buses are big and cyclists are small its very difficult to see them especially when they are weaving through traffic and not obeying traffic light signals. The quays beside the liffey and beside the canals must be hell for bus drivers

What do you mean , " not required to go back to depot after they finish in CC" So just get a bus home, leave their car in depot, how will they get to work the next day to drive first bus?

So drivers where given 30 minutes to get back to depot on top of a 7'5 hour work day for a 8 hour total. The new pay deal removed this 30 minutes per day all for €25 per week.

This bumper €25 pay rise is the first since 2016, still have not heard of driver who voted for this and neither has any other driver, that not speculation its FACT.

The DB job was never in danger, so hypothetically the deal was rejected, do you think DB would shut up shop and send the drivers home? LOL

Believe it or not the first deal that was rejected by 97% was actually better, LOL.

Just wait till the new roster and terms coming soon as part of the pay deal, you have seen nothing yet regarding missing buses and drivers leaving and the job becoming even more unattractive for potential new drivers

Don't forget the electric scooters, how someone has not gone under a bus i dont know

CCTV will prove the bus driver wasn't at fault when this does happen which it will

Like I said. It's the employees own business how he/she gets to work. If only we had a bus service that they could take in the morning. Those extra couple of hours really have you chomping at the bit. As DB drivers get free bus travel, anyone not starting at 6am or 3pm could feasibly take a bus to work. Would safe a few quid on diesel too, so that's a nice staff bonus. I know that's what my friend does, or did last time he spoke about it. Did DB drivers take a hit to salary during the recession?

Tell me, why was there a deal agreed by DB drivers if their jobs were not on the line? If DB went bust.....and make no mistake, that is where they were heading.....then what do you think would have happened? Wasn't Shane Ross the minister? Yeah, he'd have let it burn to the ground. Colour me skeptical, but I don't think the DB drivers would be going around saying they voted yes to eachother. It's the sort of thing you vote yes for and say you voted no and give management the sly finger.

I don't rely on buses. Haven't since I was old enough to ride a moped. The 17A bus was so unreliable, I decided I wouldn't be held hostage by drivers not showing up, passing the stop when there was plenty of room on the bus, or by going on strike. Almost as bad as the French Air traffic controllers. The bus service can grind to a halt for all I care. Let it go private and I don't have to see my taxes subsidise an unreliable and often horrific service.

The drivers know they have a handy number for a low-skilled position. There are always downsides to every job and sometimes you just have to suck it up to make sure here is still a company left to pay your wages.

Stay Free

DB are hiring so if it's such a handy number to you why not apply?

It would bore the hell out of me. I enjoy driving, but I wouldn't enjoy driving a bus. My skills are better suited elsewhere.

Stay Free

So it doesn't concern you then. If it would bore the hell out of you then how is it a handy number? So get this right you reckon it's a handy number but yet you would find the job too unpleasant to do yourself. If that's the case then the job is not a handy number.

There are plenty of jobs that one would consider a handy number, but would refuse to do themselves. A common one is teachers. Most people say they have a handy number and get loads of holidays....and yet when asked, those same people say they wouldn't want to work as a teacher. Yet another handy number where there are huge shortages. With 4 or 5 years of college needed before being bounced around for years on part time contracts, it's interesting that DB drivers starting out actually earn more than a teacher starting out on a full-time contract.

Parts of my own job are unpleasant, but I need work that interests me and keeps me engaged. For me, that is not driving a bus, doing the same thing every day. That suits some....not everyone. Doesn't change the fact its a handy number and well paid for the work and skill level of entry.

Stay Free

Drivers are bounced around for 10-15 years spent as a spare whereas teachers work 8ish-4ish Monday to Friday with 2-3 months off in the summer.

You do realise that bus drivers pretty much don't have much of a social life enjoyed by other jobs. Hardly ever get to see their children have a day off on a Thursday well too bad the children are in school, oh well I'm off tonight might meet up with my friends for a few drinks I'm not working until 3 tomorrow afternoon oh too bad I'm subject to random drugs and alcohol tests in work.

If you actually spent one day in the shoes of a DB driver I'm sure you'd change your tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭john boye

I don't want to go too far into the weeds of this but bus driving may be a low skilled job (though there are certain traits and characteristics you need to do it) but it most certainly is not a handy number. That's patently obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Just from reading this the whole thing sounds like a mess especially with schedules, and no money will pay people to deal with those kind of hours.

why don’t they just do a 12hr shift, 3 days on 4 days off, 4 days on and 3 days off? Simple!

Pay only goes so far, because you’ll be taxed into oblivion.

stressful job like that you need plenty time away from the wheel, top of the range pension after 20 years service

You are just being obtuse for the sake if it now, your argument does not hold up to any scrutiny.

What bus will get the driver in for first duty in the morning and get them home after last bus at night?

DB going bust and closing down was not and is not a option.

Turkeys don't vote for Christmas and neither did drivers vote for this pay deal! A extra €25 a week for a extra 2.5 hours driving! 😉

Pay deal included a load more other negative changes to the job as well, its clear you don't have a high opinion of drivers but we're not that stupid to vote YES for €25.

17a very well may have been unreliable, just for a moment image a realistic schedule with plenty of running time, the 17a would become reliable over night, but the NTA don't want to spent the money on achievable timetables so we have the city wide mess of missed departures.

Looks like you don't understand what making the bus service private means regarding the tax payer, GAI are private, the tax payer still pays for their service and it is bad, by all accounts even worse than DB.

Your constant attack on drivers make you come across as someone who applied for a job at DB but did not get it. 😓

Not much comfort for the driver when there is a body mangled under the wheel

For arguments sake we will accept it is a low skill job, but then you hit the nail on the head , its an unpleasant one, and the way to fill positions in unpleasant jobs is to pay higher wages, give better conditions, this is not the case so we have drivers leaving and a problem getting new drivers.

You want a good bus service it will cost money, until the NTA accept this we will have the driver shortage and all the problems that causes.

Its not just about paying drivers more, its realistic running times, decent rosters, for both you will need more drivers/buses to run the service and that will cost more money, the NTA have the money but don't want to spent it where it is most needed.

I'd go so far as to say number 1 reason drivers are leaving and making it hard to get new drivers, is the terms and conditions.

The new pay deal is bringing in a load of changes that will be brutal for €25, 4am starts! As we all know Dublin has become too expensive for those on a working wage to buy/rent a home, so many have moved to the commuter towns, bus drivers are among those who are living outside Dublin, now what time will they have to get up at to be in depot for 4am?

How long will it take to get it to depot from these so called commuter towns, what time will drivers have to leave home at, 3am?

Remember the same driver could be on last bus Saturday at midnight departure, not get back to depot till after 1am , then drive home, in bed for 2am, have Sunday off then back in for 4am Monday, do you think its realistic for the driver to be in bed by 18:30 to get his 8 hours sleep?

You really have zero idea what is coming, but admittedly it will give you all plenty to post about, so might get enjoyment from that, but most defiantly not from the "improved" bus connects service

Now i have ZERO knowledge of what happened here but they will be up to see boss, in trouble, what do they say?

Bus looks empty.

I was absolutely on the verge of shixxing myself, a bad dose of diarrhea, early morning not a pub open to use a toilet, no toilets at the terminus, built up area loads of houses no bushes to empty my guts behind, plenty of people out and about so unleashing a torrent of diarrhea on side of the road not a option, i was trying to get to a toilet to use.

Unions on about toilets for years, this would be stick for them top beat DB/NTA with, if female driver even better.

Result will be driver back to training centre for a refresher course.

For all we know this could be the reason for driving on footpath, lack of toilets is another joy of the job, the ladies really love that aspect

• Advertisement

Was not aware of the gold on youtube, sure makes the job look very attractive for potential new drivers, you get to deal with the best Dublin has to offer on a daily basis

A classic, potential new drivers where queuing up at head office to apply for the job after this

The caliber of, no doubt FTP passengers you will be dealing with

You have a potential accident on the cards daily

The likes of this you will encounter, the wonders of the FTP never disappoint

Not a surprise if the likes of this happens on board when you are driving

This idiot is weaving in and out of traffic every day, Garda see him and do nothing

Its the LUAS, but the bus is no different

A classic, your bus parked up and you go to start work and the likes of this are camped on board

Your bus is running late, could be something like this that caused the delay

Lovely stuff

I think its clear that bus driving is a joy in Dublin, how DB & GAI are struggling to retain and attract new driver is beyond me, this is just the aspect of meeting lovely people, and now with the wonderful pay, and conditions of the job, you would want to get your application in quick before all the positions are filled.

Advertisement