Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If that’s the case, then best to move the conversation to the Porsche thread. Not suitable in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Adding only metallic paint, performance battery and cheapest decent alloy wheels brings the Taycan to 105k.

I could easily add to that bill with “essential” options.

20k more than the BMW i4 m50 even after the price rise.

In reality probably even more as you’re going to need more than a basic car to maintain residuals.

to me 20/30 k is a big price difference so I don’t think they’re comparable.

Ohh agree. I doubt anyone buying a Porsche has considered the i4 in fairness. Different class of cars but the price being so close may open the doors to more.

In 5 years time I wonder what a base Taycan be worth relative to a fully spec’d one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

How does the BMW compare in performance and battery to the Porsche?

Regarding the Taycan, I think you'd need your head examined for getting an e-tron GT over the Taycan. Starts at €108k and Audi bend you over on options just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

The i4 M50 has similar performance stats to the Taycan 4S. With the Taycan in RWD & 4S guise you need option in a performance battery (over €5k option) to get higher power/torque figures & larger battery capacity. Standard RWD Taycan without the performance battery is something like 320PS/350NM. i4 M50 is 544PS/750NM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yes the one thing that would bug me is that the standard Taycan is a tad slow. That said, both the Taycan 4S and i4 M50 need to have launch control on to do 0-60 in 4s. My now ancient former Tesla achieved the same time just by putting your right foot down - and unlike the above with AWD, it only had RWD so you only got that sort of acceleration if you were lucky enough the road was bone dry so you got the traction you needed 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Um that's not true. Launch control on the i4 doesn't add anything other than a gimmick.

I don't think you even need to have sport mode for full power sub 4s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

I much prefer the look of the Audi to be honest, I’m not that sold on the looks of the saloon Taycan. As someone said, the RWD Taycan is a bit slow when you compare it to the 4S, Audi and i4 m50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Performance of the Taycan underrated, with a draggy on less than ideal roads I get 3.6 seconds consistently no rollout 4s perf battery.. But performance is more than acceleration and that's what you pay for with a Taycan.

needs to be in sport boost mode the get the full 544PS.

• Advertisement

Your 4S is fine, but the base Taycan is a little bit lacking with 0-60 of about 5s. Same as my current Model S. Of course not slow by any means but if you are used to a significantly faster car it feels a bit underwhelming

Yeah, you're right. Still needs sports but no need to mess about with launch control.

You'll need it to get the claimed 0-60 time though.

Might be rare enough but if you go to any of the drag events like Runway Club then Lauch Control is a must to keep up with and beat some of the super cars.

I used it on my Model S P90D with Ludicrous and with Lauch Control,0-60 is about 2.6-2.7 seconds so most definitely required for those days!

That's what launch control should do but in the i4's case it's just a gimmick and all it does is shake the car for effect.

One of the earliest guys to pick one up did some extensive testing in his on the i4talk site.

Seriously!

WTF is an “M” Premium car doing this for?

On a serious note, if you had of told your younger self 10 years ago you’ll be doing 0-60 times like the above and from others such as teslas and Hyundai, mass produced everyday run do the mill cars 😮

I remember trying to shave 0.1’s off my 0-60’s in JDM cars many moons ago!

@stesaurus - "all it does is shake the car for effect."

Seriously? 😂 So a bit of fake engine noise, a bit of fake diesel rattle, I'm sure they have done their research with customer groups so it must be hard to get a typical BMW buyer into an EV.

I haven’t done a launch control in the i4 so wasn’t aware it had the ‘shake’. I knew the iX M60 does it fairly aggressively. It wouldn’t be for me either. I’d probably have thought there was something wrong with the car & chickened out of the LC :)

Pal of mine has i4 40 model ordered since April.

it’s built and arriving this month for January delivery. He went in this week to finalise the deal.

Surprise, surprise dealer is now offering 8k less for his 201 5 series trade in than previously indicated. He’s a serial customer there but they told him no problem if he doesn’t want the car as they’ll sell it on no problem. Told him he’s getting it at the pre increase price and they can get the higher price for it if he passes.

BMW dealers never change…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Can he private sale his car in the inbetween time and get a rental for bumbling around....the dealer might not be too happy with that either mind you they want to make money on both ends of the deal. Its a tricky situation and I can see both sides of it.

Why would they offer him the same now? His second hand car is now worth €8k less, why would the dealer take this loss? If he thinks it is worth more, he can go sell it privately or to the trade himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

surely a 108k audi etron gt is better specced than the equivalent taycan, there would be no other reason to buy one (and im an audi fan)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i reckon a basic car will have better residuals than anything else to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

Another day another delay .. my i4 M50 due in March, June July, August, October, November, December and back to November is now scheduled for build in January !! It was ordered October 21 .. Incredible stuff !

No.

Up until a month ago he was being given an indicative trade in price roughly 8k more than what they now offer.

its about 12k below what BMW dealers are advertising similar cars at now.

he’s not the type up for private sale. He managed to get the deal better by 2.5k but it’s left a bitter taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

My original car was ordered December 21 and delivered April 22 (albeit eDrive40).

My M50 scheduled production for late January too, expecting (hopeful) for delivery in late Feb or March.

I'm not bothered at this stage but your delay must be pretty frustrating at this point.

Yes it’s well documented in this thread that the slimy BMW sales will stick it to customers. Locality and premium are words that are long forgotten in BMW circles and anyone that’s been buying from them over the years have noticed that.

The only defence is that used car prices were already too high. They have settled down now and the higher end priced cars are not selling.

Be worth asking him what they offered for his 201 G30 and spec of the car to gauge if it’s a fair trade offer or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

My eDrive 40 been stuck at status 182 (Schedule for Carrier) in Germany now for nearly three weeks. Not that I care as would prefer it in Jan at this stage. Dealer said he has three of them waiting for delivery together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

I won't even go into the problems I had with trade-in values and just awful customer service when I bought the i4. They broke trust twice in 2 major areas and needless to say I won't be going to them again. The trade-in value was probably mostly my fault as I didn't get it in writing, but I won't be dealing with them again.

the big dealers go on about premium products, best customer service practices etc..

yet when it comes down to it , they seem to have no qualms about screwing the customers at every opportunity.

They rarely see the long game of looking after someone and they will come back and recommend to their family and friends.

it’s all about maxing out on the deal in front of them.

• Advertisement

The BMW EV range look like cheap Chinese copies of BMWs. They are dreadful.

Advertisement