Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Autumn 2022 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Blissfully quiet.

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Today up at Lake Louise in banff, highs got up to - 2c and lows down to - 14c a little more bearable to - 23c

Delighted at it. Lovely to be warm without heating.. Long may it last..

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Stunning place… had our wedding there June 2007. Would love to get back one of these years

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ascophyllum

The latest GFS is a horror show for the next 10 days, non stop low pressures coming straight for Ireland, by the end of November it could be 10 straight weeks of strong wind and rain with maybe 3 separate dry or calm days in that whole period if even. I can't ever remember a period like that, 3 weeks is common but it usually backs off for a while before a reload of energy comes out of North America. Its like every bit of energy in the Northern Hemisphere is on a conveyer belt between Newfoundland and Ireland.

We have not had that pattern in West Mayo. It has been very localised? Far less than you list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Huh ?

Met Eireann saying a week of dry and sunny weather for my neck of the woods. North Wicklow.

Wind just starting to rise.

They raced over for/with the shopping as there have been no ferries the last two days.

Overture and beginners out there. The cats refuse to go out...

West Mayo offshore

I'm talking about West Mayo, it has rained almost every day since Sept 21st on the west coast, maybe 3 dry days in that whole time and they were spread out, the wind has not relented since that day either and almost entirely from the south or west, no crazy storm but most days above 30-40kmph and plenty of days in the 60-110kmph range.

We're well used to lots of wind of course, what's unusual is to get an unrelenting 10 weeks of southwesterlys, usually you'd have a mix of all points of the compass, a week of north winds, some east wind for a few days and prob 60-70% south and west.

The rain of course has been anomalous, but it's been even worse in Cork and Kerry, the rain is never a big problem here by the coast, showers pass by very quickly, but low lying areas that don't typically flood untill the groundwater rises in late December or January have been flooded for weeks around here now.

It has been annoying as we don't associate Autumn with weather that prevents you from going outside but literally every single day has been too wet for outdoor activity. And the pattern doesn't seem like it will change, 2 more weeks of strong lows coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Ok. Yes, depressing. Sorry for posting my weather chart above. But I bet it'll have completely changed by tomorrow 😃. Just so surprised to see full sun days. You really need them after the rain.

I was replying to the poster above you but yes, good chance with this setup in Wicklow, you could see very little rain and lots of warm weather too, it's just an annoying pattern for the west and south, it would be great if the jet stream would just point anywhere else for a while 🙂

Not my experience. I had noticed how much drier and calmer it has been compared to other counties. Flat calm many days and dry. This last few days have been the first serious wind and rain for weeks. A lovely autumn. Peaceful and quiet and able to be outside most days. Not much clear direct sun and a lot of cloud cover. Occasional showers. but not as dire as you relate. I know cloudy weather affects many folk adversely? It has been a very pleasant and enjoyable few weeks and a lot of outdoor work done and just sitting out and a deep silence and peace.

NB your posts are coming up blank ! NB coastal weather changes fast signing off for some peace to watch the weather!.without being called wrong!!!!! REALLY! lol

Post edited by Graces7 on

This is the GFS for West Mayo for end of Sept to present, dry and calm are not how I'd describe it! Heavy rain most days and moderate-strong gusts a lot of the time, not complaining about the weather, just noting how unusual it is to be in one pattern for so long without change

This is easily the worst autumn since 2017, I have not enjoyed the weather in general this year from a farming point of view. Too much of one thing or another.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A glorious day here in Meath, plenty of warm sunshine, currently 17C and feels like summer. This will be the last day of the significant warmth for a while, temperatures will be much closer to average from tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Gerrys forecast for the week ahead just now has not helped my hangover one bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Incredibly mild. Hard to believe. Thankfully it was dry all day yesterday. The land certainly needs some draining now. Galway.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭pad199207

If there’s definitely no severe cold and snow on the way well then this all winter will be perfect ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭snowgal

Although as per username I’m a snow, cold weather person, if we’re not getting that for now this mild is great for drying clothes and no heat on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Lovely morning in Cork but quickly turned, heavy rain since 10. Rotten.

• Advertisement

Heavy rain since 5am on the west coast, only cleared in the last hour, strong winds all morning too. There's a few hours respite tomorrow then according to met.ie continuous rain for the next 7 days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just a sprinkle of light rain now and again here near Tralee, overcast and very dull all day, came in at 15.30 from the garden and thought it was more like 16.40 being so dull. Patching up hollows around the garden with top soil, easy to find just had to look for the standing water!

10mm overnight

Max of 13.3C and slipping down now to 11.6C

Getting out of Dodge next weekend for a week to the sun thank god. Hoping next week is the last week of this relentless rain I’ll have to endure for a bit. It has to stop at some stage right? It would be unusual to have more than a few months of significantly above average rainfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

That's the thing. It's only been a couple of wetter months.

Up to September the previous 14 months were all either normal or drier than normal.

We're well overdue a 6-month wet spell.

There's wet (typical autumn / winter in Ireland) and there's 170% of average which is what we've recorded in Cork over the past 2 months combined. November looking likely to finish well above average too.

Statistically Oct - Jan are the four wettest months of the year so it takes a lot of rain to top the long term average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Pretty mental for November, records broken all over the shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Another autumn down the drain. Doing my head in.

Europe is apparently warming at twice the rate compared to the global average. The fastest warming continent on the planet over the last 30 yrs.

Today was the latest in a yr that temperatures rose into the 70s f in the UK. Climate change? What Climate change?

As calm and quiet an early morning as ever was after heavy rain earlier and mild.

Quite lovely.

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭highdef

A lot of the screengrab is missing due to cropping but from what I can see, many of the temperature reports at the French weather stations weren't all that special, with their monthly records being several degrees warmer (29.1° being the highest that I can see). I may have misinterpreted the cropped image though so if there's a user of twatter here, maybe they can elaborate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Beautiful Autumn day in Galway. Blue skies and lovely colours.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Calm and dry with the sun breaking through at times... Long may it last,

Oh and a plague of flies! Thinking spring had arrived...

Fascinating weather..

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Another day, another rain and wind warning for the south

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1592181613882150912?t=CqxhdCLvg2dv1qmXs3YHfg&s=19

I would have thought Galway and Mayo will get the strongest winds, and maybe the bulk of the rain

After a lovely peaceul day, here it comes again...sudden deluge and hard heavy rain....

SOMEONE TURNED THE TAP ON! Sheesh... what a sudden change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Yeah and a brilliant day today as well, great evening to match, clear sky, crisp and dry, unfortunately rain is on the way

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Same down here, was really nice earlier, and felt like Autumn. Some wind and rain out there now (Yellow warning).

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭aisling86

We have just moved to a new area and I don’t know if our old house was just very sheltered but it’s been so windy here the last few weeks.

It's pretty wild in Cork, mean wind speed at Roches Point is orange warning level, gusts not quite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Valid: 16:00 Monday 14/11/2022 to 23:30 Monday 14/11/2022

Issued: 15:40 Monday 14/11/2022

I have to laugh at their Yellow warning. Issued 20 minutes before it started.

Despite it being listed as 80kmh gusts in the area since last night. Which is a Yellow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Very gusty here in Castlebar now with a strong SE wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Highest gust of 93kmph recorded at Roches Point so firmly in yellow territory at the moment. Mean speeds touching 65 which is the boundary between yellow and orange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭appledrop

The wind has gone mental here in NCD.

Howling away, not helping when your trying to get kids to go asleep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

9pm

Roaches Point Gusting 46 knots (85 km/h)

Malin head 45 knots

Mace head 44 knots

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Windy/very gusty now in Greystones with driving rain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

47kt 87km/h at Waterford Airport and 74km/h at my Waterford City station. Wild night out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Squall line forming off the West Coast should hit Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭adocholiday

A few fairly intense bands of wind and rain just passing over South Wicklow the past 90 minutes or so but the worst of it seems to be clearing to the Irish sea now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,441 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Squalls passing over Athlone at the moment dropping some serious rain!

The wind dropped and the cold came in. Just checked met .ie and just above freezing but my toes already diagnosed that... very calm, intensely quiet..

West Mayo offshore

Is the clock here on boards ever going to be accurate please? Headed for 5 am and a/c to boards is teatime yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭OldRio

Pleasant November day. Sunshine but cool. Trying to tidy the garden but the ground is utterly saturated.

Some fields are flooded locally. Just the usual suspects mind but we could do with a drier spell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement