Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

My previous car has Pilot Sport 4 on it which is regarded as one of the best ultra high performance class tyres particularly in wet grip, I can say from experience the EcoContact 6 are crap in the wet. It's not an uncommon complaint in the reviews either, along with short lifespan.

I'll see how I get on with them during the Winter, I may replace them sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,293 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'll be switching to the winters soon. Getting nippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭eagerv

They are giving 17C later in week, no sign of any cold weather yet.

Perhaps up with you near the Arctic Circle may be a bit cooler..😁

• Registered Users Posts: 23,498 ✭✭✭✭ted1

do you not need 7 deg or lower for them to be any better? That wouldn’t be to common over here

I thought it was 9 degrees that tended to be the recommendation.

Been getting a few below that level last week, although this week is mild.

PS when I say soon, I mean the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

Ahhhhh now I see your previous car had pilot sprts,methinks your perceptions of a good normal tyre have been distorted somewhat by that experience.

O.P. asked for people's experiences I gave mine.

I think someone who's owned upwards of 40 cars ,a dozen bikes,drives professionally for a living and has had a licence for 50 years may be entitled to their own opinion doncha think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

80% charge got me 252 km this morning, drove 100km (mostly motorway and dual ) in lashing rain, had 120km. Car said it was 8-10c, I used to think the cold was the big issue, starting to think heavy rain and wet is worse for range.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I used to think the cold was the big issue, starting to think heavy rain and wet is worse for range.

It is. The cold really only affects range because of heating the cabin which you can somewhat side step by pre-heating before you leave, but a wet road affects your range for the entire journey.

It has a big effect if there is alot of surface water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭sk8board

Irish ‘cold’ is still well above zero usually, so the temp won’t affect range unless on a frosty morning or whatever.

heavy rain very much affects ground contact friction & drag (like when you drive through a flood or a huge puddle and it feels like you’ve hit the brakes), and high winds obviously affects aerodynamic efficiency.

so it takes more energy to move the mass along the road (i.e. science happens)

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Add in a 60kmph head wind and 2deg ambient temp and you’ll see the gom drop -

Its easy to forget that for maybe 2-3 months of the year our daytime figures won’t get much over 4deg and the nights will be colder still, often 0deg or below.

January, February, March can be tough on ev’s..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭zx80

I got the 2.4 update and new battery in early September (never got 2.1>2.3 OTA). This morning I got this message after returning home from the gym. I presume it's part 1 of 3.0, but am surprised at the time it takes. The update started at 9;30 this morning and went out to see if there is any progress indicator on the screen at 10am but car will not open. Guess I'll have to sit tight until 5 pm this evening and keep my fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

If you need to use the car and don't click "OK" will the install be cancelled, and will the screen pop up again when car stationery.

6 hours without a car is fine over night, but during the day can be issue.

Yes I could have deferred the install but, it's Saturday and I can use the wife's car so it's not a problem leaving it sit for the afternoon.

Had you signed up for the test rollout or did this just appear out of the blue?

I had signed up for the "I want OTA 3.0" campaign on October 11th and received a confirmation e-mail on November 2nd. Part one of the update seems to have gone OK but won't get to check it out in detail until tomorrow. I don't really expect to see much difference until Part 2 installs. Will post update when that happens. My model is MY 2021 Pro Tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭smpillai11

Is there still a link to sign up to the OTA 3.0 campaign

There was never a link per se. You had to email id@volkswagen.de with the subject "I want OTA 3.0". I believe that this campaign was limited to 1000 users on 2.4 software and they were being selected over a range of geographical locations and ID.3 variants.

Pictures taken after OTA 3.0 Pt 1: You're now greeted with an analog clock when you sit into the car - I don't know if this is customisable.

Details of software/hardware after OTA 3.0 Pt1

%charge and Temperature now on binnacle.

HUD on Tech variant has aditional info eg roundabout exits displayed above old HUD and lane assist warnings now displayed.

OTA 3.0 part 1 took 7 hours to install and there have been no issues that I'm aware of since the update (drove about 30km this morning). Awaiting part 2 but unsure when that will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I forgot to take a pic of my binnacle today but it showed the range without the battery symbol. I guess it's a new feature of 2.4:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Am wondering what else is out there in recent days. ID.4 is way overpriced. Same spec equivalent as our tour is 26k more than we paid wtf!

we could really do with something that has a large boot, ability to tow a small trailer ( 750 kg would do it) and V2L would be nice too. MG5, ioniq5, new peugeot estate. Will probably take a look at all of these is there anything else? Niro even maybe

Maybe there will be more choice in a years time? It just seems all new models coming out are megabucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

It's an absolute rip off now, stripped back to bare spec and reduced power now. But hey, it's cheap on PCP so will still sell by the bucket load. People are in for a shock when they go trade these in at the end of their terms after paying thousands in interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,026 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Model Y? EV6 is to expensive. Volvo C40 to small or to expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Would look at model y except for the musk element. Maybe they’ll get rid of him. He’s not doing the company any favours at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭eagerv

I would second the Model Y. There is more to the car than the Musk element..😉

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Robotfarmer

Must the work place let you charge on site from January as BEV's will then be liable for BIK?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Are you in the wrong thread?

What are you referring to? Work places dont have to provide any work charging if they dont want to.

And I thought the BIK rules were changing in Dec 2023, not Jan 2023?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Hard get one now if there isn't one in stock. I was at my local dealer last weekend, looking at an ID4 as I need bootspace, and for a large dealer they had no ID3's in stock and are not getting any. They told me there is a facelift version coming next year.

Only got offered 29k for my Business spec 211 trading in against a fairly bog standard ID4, though it might have been a bit higher. Went accross to the Audi dealership to look at a Q4 etron and he was very interested in the ID3. Waiting to see what they come back with.

OTA 3.0 Pt.2 installed this afternoon in 80 minutes without incident. After "purchasing" We Connect and We Connect Plus services from the on-line Shop I notice that the App now informs you of the cars location and whether locked/unlocked or door left open.

29! ouch, when you see an ID4 is 60 ish, so basically the cost of the ID3 again. I had hopes mine would get decent value, was hoping to get an ID4 when the time comes.

• Advertisement

Advertisement