Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This^^^

Not only arrested but convicted and serving a sentence.

The disintegration of Trump's hold over the GOP is only a "win" if it also forces a bout of serious introspection on the whole of the American body politic. From fundraising, to policy, to polling, to Separation of Powers (based on Trump's claim to have "fixed" polling", to reporting and the impact of the removal of the "fairness doctrine", and the elephant in the room, the continuing detrimental impact of the Citizens United decision on US politics.

There is so much wholly wrong with US politics but that is accepted as part & parcel of their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

As others have noted, 4 years is an eternity in politics, look at those who ran against trump in the last set of primaries, which of them is relevant now? Cruz, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Plus the whole thing is so random and capricious. If the spotlight has settled on DeSantis for now for little discernible objective reason it can just as arbitrarily move on to someone else...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That would be a gift to the GOP.

Their "problem" solved and their hands are kept clean.

If Trump is convicted and barred from holding office, then the GOP get to keep the MAGA base onside by playing the "Trump was shafted" card and they can keep Trump quiet by promising him a pardon should they take the WH.

Not for a moment suggesting that he shouldn't be charged and convicted. He absolutely needs to be, but it simplifies thimgs for the GOP in terms of how they approach 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 13,698 ✭✭✭✭briany

Probably the best plan going ^ at this time. There only remains the problem of how to ensure Trump stays quiet. He'd take the pardon, but he may well go to another country with no extradition treaty and rant & rave from there instead of spending the rest of his life in quiet retirement. I don't think his ego lets him fade into the background. I think the Republican party will have to make some concessions on continuing to allow Trump some influence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I'd be perfectly fine with either, being totally honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,378 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No dying would make him a martyr. The GOP wouldn’t learn any lessons about supporting trump they’d just say welp he’s dead lol and spend several more cycles trying to really own those libz with nastiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Awww, most of his base will greet him when he returns with JFK, Jr. to a Walmart in San Diego.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thats why I feel de Santis cannot beat Trump because the problem is how does he attack Trump on anything when his entire base are so far down conspiracy theory rabbit holes and the fake news doctrine. Like in theory it should be easy to attack Trump on his dreadful record on Covid with hundreds of thousands of preventable American deaths, more than in any American war. But the MAGAs believe that Trumps response to Covid was the best in the world ever and that in any case Covid was created by the Democrats in tandem with the Chinese to cripple Trumps beautiful economy and in order for the Democratic Deep State to control them by placing 5G chips in their arm. Thats the kind of nuttiness that Trump has cultivated and his cult are all in on it. They live in a post truth world where Trump and his far right media eco system like Alex Jones and Steve Bannon play his base like puppets on a string.

Like in any normal situation de Santis would be able to just simply stand up in the primary debates and make the perfectly logical argument that he should be the one to face Joe Biden becasue Trump already faced him in an election and he lost. That is a reasonable argument but if de Santis uses it the MAGA set will turn on him viciously at Trumps behest. And then suddenly de Santis is a deep state actor out to ruin Trump and rumour has it he runs a paedophile ring from the basement of a pizza shop and Hillary Clinton manages it and takes codified pizza orders on Hunter Bidens laptop, and so on and on.

So if de Santis takes on Trump in the primaries then battling him using truthful arguments is not an option available to him. He cant even label what Trump did on Jan 6th as an insurrection becasue we all know that the Trump supporters in Washington that day were just tourists having a day out to see the Capitol and anyone involved in violence were engaging in a false flag Antifa operation. Like QAnon told them so thats the truth they believe.

How do you take on a political opponent who has reconstructed the truth and now has millions of people believing his narrative? Id think it is impossible for de Santis to win that battle and if he goes up against Trump he cannot defeat him and simultaneously get the support of his base for a 2024 run. Its one or the other, it cant be both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Tbf if the republicans swallowed, parrotted and defended the nonsense Trump brought to the table. DeSantis can just start with some nonsense too and they will swallow, parrot and defend that.

At the end of the day when the goal is to 'own the libz' and 'something something the woke', I don't see any issues that are based in logic.

Yeah, I'm not seeing any great evidence that the Republican base is about to move on from Trump wholesale. According to Forbes, 48 percent of Republicans would still back Trump in a presidential primary tomorrow.

The best outcome of all may be if both men split the party in two.

No they can’t King Solomon the party. The GOP should carry Trump to term even if it jeopardizes the life of the party.

I don't know if it would work like that. The specific reason why Trump controls the Republican party to the extent he does is because he went directly to the party's grassroots with a potent mix of celebrity, ignorance and vengeful rhetoric. He was able to tap into something that no other candidate saw or was prepared/able to go near. That's why the Republican party has spinelessly defended and covered for Trump these last six years. He's got the party's balls in a vice.

The party is not going to extend the same courtesy to DeSantis on a national level unless he can command the same level of grassroots support. He's done brilliantly in Florida, but replicating that nationwide very much remains to be seen.

Nice recap in Salon by one of their better political writers on why nothing will happen to TFG even after this week. Not sure I agree, but the writer is spot on about the innumerable times TFG 'beat the rap,' so to speak. One counterargument is that justice does move slowly, and it does, but it doesn't forget or give up either.

It did make me wonder if in fact the 'big announcement' isn't campaigning, but something Twitter related. Maybe TFG fellated Musk enough to get readmitted to Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah thats the huge headache for the RNC right now. Do they let Trump go forth unopposed and basically give up on the White House in 2024. It is not an appealing strategy but if they can hold their noses it will be the electorate who finish Trump off and that would suit them given that they dont know how to do it themselves. They had their chance at his impeachment and they shirked it, then they had another chance right after Jan 6th to cut him loose and they shirked that too. It would suit the RNC down to the ground to let the electorate do the job for them. It would mean giving up on the 2024 WH but once Trump is a two time election loser then he is off the main stage for good and the Republican party can start afresh.

The alternative to that is that the RNC fight Trump by backing de Santis but that results in the party being split down the middle and ineffective in 2024 anyway. The primary debates between Trump and de Santis would be like some kind of extreme bloodsports and no matter who emerged victorious they will have totally turned off the 10% of independent, swing and moderate voters they need to convince in a Presidential election.

In any case de Santis doesnt strike me as having the balls to take on Trump no matter what the polls are showing. Trump has already been barbing him with the de Santimonious stuff and he had no response. It is clear that like all others in the Republican party that he is completely scared of Trump going full scorched earth on him.

I suppose my ignorance on how it all works is probably showing so you are probably right and it's more complex than I think.

I was just coming from what I see in the conservative media and conservative places online. They are already pivoting away from Trump to DeSantis. Its not a problem from them who they have to support, they've shown they'll support the lowest of the low to 'own the libz'.

They can try to pivot away from Trump, but it comes down to what kind of response that generates.

It isn't the first time that US conservative media has floated this idea of breaking from Trump, but it fell flat on its face.

I do not yet see any big polling evidence that the Republican base is ready to move on from Trump.

Just days after winning his seat again Mike Lee shows up at federalist society and has the whole place roaring at his Trump impersonation and mockery

dog eat dog

Like in theory it should be easy to attack Trump on his dreadful record on Covid with hundreds of thousands of preventable American deaths, more than in any American war. But the MAGAs believe that Trumps response to Covid was the best in the world ever

DeSantis actually has a basis for appealing to the MAGAs by attacking Trump on covid from the (libertarian) right and claiming he was the true 'Trumpist'.

Assuming he runs, DeSantis would love for the campaign to be fought on the ground of who pushed lockdowns harder in 2020. 

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't think Republican campaigns are fought on policy grounds in general anymore. Trump has never been consistent in his policies and it just doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Registered Users Posts: 10,855 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

And I'll hold my hands up that I'm basing it on the crazies online suddenly pivoting.

I know. And it probably has Trump screaming about a stolen electron.

Lee was one of his henchman for the Jan 6 insurrection 'mechanism.' I'm surprised he got away with whatever he was up to, but the committee's not finished.

Interestingly, this cycle the Democratic candidate running against him was Evan McMullin, who ran against TFG in 2020 (as an independent, and did poorly.) Utah's solidly GQP though, so McMullin didn't have much chance. Still, Lee seems dodgy enough even coming from such a strong religioius backround as Utah politics. Utah was always kind of a weird place to be if you weren't LDS. 3:2 beer on the ski slopes, dirty looks if you swore in public, and the BYU campus was something out of "Leave it to Beaver." Painfully cleancut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

It would be pretty funny if at his big rally he came out as a fully gay man. The MAGA supporters would be broken and CNN would be speechless…they would be forced to cheerlead his coming out….most likely he announces that he is running for President though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'm sure like most people who run for President it was a life-long ambition for Obama and something that he knew that he was going to do at some stage. However I do believe that in 2004, before he had even begun his job as a Senator, would have believed that 2008 was way too early.

In his book he says that his initial plan was to get some experience in the Senate and probably run at a later stage. However, in early 2006 Harry Reid told him "10 years in the Senate won't make you a better candidate" and then later on Ted Kennedy said to him:

You don't choose the time. The time chooses you. Either you seize what may turn out to be the only chance you have, or you decide you're willing to live with the knowledge that the chance had passed you by

Obama ran in 2008 even though he knew he'd have to take on the Clinton machine to do so and was considered a massive underdog.

DeSantis has to take his chance now. Who knows what the world will be like in 4 years time. If he doesn't do it now then that'll count against him in the future. Some other candidate could emerge. 2 years ago Andrew Cuomo was being talked about as a future Presidential candidate. Now he's done for. 4 years ago Rishi Sunak was a political nobody. Now he's Prime Minister of the UK.

Yeah but he must stand for something in the minds of his supporters; he's not just 'the guy off the telly'. And if DeSantis can plausibly make the case to the Republican base that he is as or more committed to the same sort of things as Trump he has a good chance of winning over a majority of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He stands for being Trump. It is entirely a movement around his personality and when he changes what he stands for, his supporters change their deeply held beliefs about what is important.

Obviously there is massive scope for me being wrong here, but I don't think policy is going to differentiate anyone from Trump or win over any of his hardcore support. They don't care about reality.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement