Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible asbestos in industrial estate

Options
  • 09-11-2022 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I'm looking to buy in a residential area in South Dublin. I've found a property which is in close proximity of a very small industrial estate.

I'm talking about this: https://goo.gl/maps/2Cbg7QNeUWt44Csa7

I've noticed that the roofs of this industrial buildings seem to be made with asbestos, but I'm not sure.

I'm wondering if there is anything that could be done to verify if there is presence of asbestos (ask for a survey) even if I'm not the owner of this building.

I just want piece of mind before I decide to commit to live near a potential long-term health risk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

What are you health worries exactly, asbestos isn't dangerous unless handled incorrectly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You can have the material tested but you need to get a sample. You can get an idea if you can find out when the buildings were built. Anything before 2000 and there's a good chance it has asbestos in it. Undisturbed in a roof thats in good condition its supposed to be safe but I would prefer not to risk it. I suspect anyone that regularly does surveys on Asbestos roofs could give you a good idea just from just looking.

The only serious risk to anyone is if there is a big fire when asbestos particles can end up all over the place.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Asbestos is perfectly safe on the roof of buildings. If somebody was drilling and cutting it everyday with all the dust blowing directly towards you then I would be concerned.

I assure you, you will be breathing far worse substances that you don't know about compared to that Asbestos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

OP do you realize a lot of domestic houses built since the 1940s have asbestos slates

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

No! Living near asbestos that is in good condition isn't health risk. Working in a building that has an asbestos roof in good condition isn't a health risk. But then you could always have a fire that will spread it down wind, a cowboy removal operation filling the air with it and its eventually going to decay one way or another.

It may not be a health risk now but its always a potential health risk. There was an asbestos roof taken down near me and the contractors seemed to be taking reasonable precautions with all the safety gear then they piled all the asbestos in the back of an open top flat back truck and drove it off to another larger job so they could wrap it all in one go. On another job with asbestos I noticed that the workers who were all geared up to cut asbestos then left their dusty overalls on site when they had finished.

If I was a say a couple of hundred meters away then no problem but right next door and particularly if I was down wind it would bother me, good condition or not.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

OP isn’t working in the building. Which is a very different scenario. It’s a long standing, active industrial building and appears to be in good condition. (It also appears to be asbestos).

OP has been vague on distance. The risk of living next door is different to living down the road, around the corner,etc.

As mentioned, the roof tiles of houses are often asbestos. People would want to look much closer to home before working about industrial estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭dathi

not to mention vinyl floor tiles ,toilet cisterns ,bath panels etc.

Advertisement