Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub panel in Garage - what are the regs now

Options
  • 12-11-2022 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,

Firstly I'm a sparks (industrial) but have been out of the game a while, never did a lot of domestic anyway.

I'm going to put a sub panel out in my garage and want to make sure that everything I do is correct and in line with regs, so thanks in advance.

Bit of an unusual set up, due to car charger install a while back I now have an exterior panel on the side of the house. Charger was installed by A RECI so hopefully all is good there. (Think there was a similar post about car charger panels a while back but can't find it now)

Anyway set up I have

Meter to ext panel with has a b63A main breaker, a 100A dp isolator for the house CU, 40A rcbo for charger and surge p installed. All of these are double pole so nothing in the nuetral bar. I plan to bring a feed to the nuetral bar from the supply (bottom) of the 100A isolator for the house. Loads of room as the bottom of these are currently bridged out with busbar leaving loads of room in the terminals.

Then add a 32a mcb and run a 6sq SWA to the garage. Not sure what the run is exactly but def less than 20m

That's the first part, hope all is ok there.

So for the sub panel I am thinking feed in to a 100A dp isolator and then 6A RCBO (lights, 1 external), 20A RCBO (sockets) and surge protection.

Is this sufficient with regs now or do I also need a main breaker (say 25A) after the 100A DP isolator in the sub panel? My thinking is no as the 32A back at the feed will be enough protection?

Thanks everybody for the help, looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ballisimo

Drawing for reference, ( haven't drawn in all the earths)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

I know you are a sparks and would do this competently however your second paragraph states that you want to comply with regulations

unless you are a rec then you are not permitted to undertake these works as they are restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ballisimo

That's fair enough and I respect your opinion.

Still want to do the work in my own house, I wouldn't do it in anybody else's. I will have a RECI test the work to ensure all is up to standard.

Have you any feedback on my plan above? Would you do it any differently? I'd appreciate the feedback.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Not what you want to hear but A RECI isn't allowed to cert someone else's work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

I wouldn’t connect at the exterior distribution board (although I cannot find the regulation that prohibits this)

being an electrician I’m surprised that you ever considered an external distribution board as satisfactory in the first place. I’ve yet to come across an installation that couldn’t get a cable from the distribution board to the charger.some work is involved alright but nothing is impossible. The same for your garage.

ive seen terrible installations with exterior distribution boards and it’s just a simpler job for your charger company.

post a photo of the interior of your meter cabinet and also your exterior distribution board. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

There was guidance from SafeElectric recently enough that those external/Cabinet mounted switchboards were specifically to accommodate a car charger (where absolutely necessary) and were not to be used for any branch to other buildings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ya they wouldn't want to be allowing anything else wired from the meter location

Car charging is branched off at the cabinet for convenience and was probably always going to happen I guess don't know much about them

Advertisement