Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Minoxidil as in Rogaine? You don't need a prescription for this you can buy Rogaine over the counter but it will take 6 months at least before you will notice anything. I have used it twice first time it worked great especially on my crown. I stupidly stopped it for about a year then thinking job done & mainly due to cost. Then I noticed my hair going again and started it again but unfortunately didnt do anything second time round so just stopped and went the HT route.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

No, he's referring to the tablet form of Minoxidil

Did you get the prescription for Proscar as well as Minoxidil, or was it just Minoxidil alone?

As others have mentioned you'll really see the difference after several months.. in some cases the first few months are actually worse for hair fall as your body takes to the new meds, but then it should start to grow back (if it works for you).

The thing I like at Dr Nel's are the photos he takes when you visit.

When I visited him recently we compared photos to those taken 2 years ago on my first appointment. The difference was shocking and I actually couldn't remember it being that bad.

The photos showed the hair density has gone up using Fin/Minox alone (no surgery), but admittedly it has taken around 1.5 years to really get to this stage as the difference in the photos after 1 year only showed a marginal improvement over the initial visit.

I've also grown the hair long (actually haven't had a haircut in just under 2 years) so this helps to thicken up the appearance and cover any thinning areas. I might get it styled but kinda enjoy rocking the Targaryen hairstyle and just tie it up with a top knot ;)

So I just submitted the careoncall.ie prescription request for Proscar and it was FREE (not €25) .. again this might only be for Laya customers, but damn that's a bit of an improvement over paying €60 for Dr Nel to prescribe... live and learn

Have also included a request to get a Loniten 5mg Minoxidil prescription so I'll report back if that's successful.

EDIT: They got back to me after about 2 minutes to say the prescription was ready and waiting at the pharmacy.. although it is "Fintrid" rather than "Proscar"! Unfortunately they only prescribe Finasteride so Minox is again something that either Dr Nel, or another GP will have to prescribe.

Will see if the pharmacy can give me Proscar instead of Fintrid if I ask them (and show the previous box)

EDIT 2: Pharmacy said they only stock Proscar so that's sorted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

No I have been on 1.25mg of Minoxidil daily since last February with no improvement. In the last month I have upped dose to 2.5mg daily to see if it would make any difference but it has not. Is there any point continuing with Minoxidil then? Dr Nel said Minoxidil helps maintain but wouldn't Finasteride do that on it's own. I'm going tk run out of Minoxidil in less than 3 months anyway as I'm taking double the dose that was recommended by Dr Nel. I also have seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp so I don't know if this is effecting Minoxidil from working (as in growth). I have tried every shampoo to try to control my Seborrheic Dermatitis but nothing has worked.

• Advertisement

You are going to have to get an appointment with Dr Nel to prescribe Minoxidil anyway so he will prescribe Finasteride then to?

Did you get a year prescription for Finasteride on careoncall.ie?

Possibly.. I'm meeting my standard GP soon about something else so I can ask him if he could also give me a prescription for Minox, or at least tell me why he won't (not that I need it, since I just got one from Dr Nel, so this is really just a test to see if it's possible to get Minox prescriptions from any GP).

Careoncall.ie gave me 46 tablets which is up from the 30 Dr Nel prescribes.

That should give me 61 weeks (1 year 2 months) if I continue on quarters... or, well, 2 years 4 months if I went the 1/8 route!

Laya also offer 3 or 4 free online GP consultations, so that's another possible avenue to get Minox (assuming they would agree to prescribe it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Well, as we can see from the results of this Oral Minoxidil study done in 2021, of the three dosages (0.45mg, 1.35mg and 4.05mg per day) the optimal dosage was, by some distance, 4.05mg. So, why you were only prescribed 1.25mg per day makes no sense to me. Those on 4.05mg gained 3x the number of terminal hairs that the 1.35mg group gained.

However, those on 1.35mg did notice reasonable gains after 6 months. You say you've been on 1.25mg for 9-10 months and not seen any results at all? Based on that information, you sound like a non-responder and I would probably stop taking it at this point. Dermarolling is known to enhance Minox absorption and effectiveness, but, if you're a non-responder, there's nothing to enhance, so again, I wouldn't bother.

Where did you go for your SMP procedure? What were the results like? I was thinking of going to Dr Nel for SMP for the crown as he said he would not do a transplant on the crown. He seems very expensive for SMP?

Went here. More time was taken and price was 50% of what Dr Nel was asking for. The technician that performs the procedure does SMP for HRBR so this is a side-line for her and you get the same quality as what you would get in HRBR (at a fraction of the cost).

Free consultation and she'll let you know if you're suitable or not.

Just be aware if you are getting the crown done you will need to avoid sleeping on the back of your head for 24 hours after each procedure (there are up to 3 separate sessions to achieve full coverage)... so this was a bit of a challenge for me as I ALWAYS end up rolling onto my back no matter what is propping me up!

If I get a touch up in a few years I'm going to invest in one of those benches that allow you to sleep on your front.

• Advertisement

Was it very sore? How much did it cost you? Are you happy with it? How long will it last? Thanks for answering

eh.. a bit sore. Just like tiny pricks on your head. Each session lasts about 3-4 hours iirc, but you get all the breaks and toilet breaks you need.

Price was €1000 for crown and top of head up to hairline (Dr Nel was quoting €2000 just for crown, not top of head as well). Yes very satisfied with it. It makes the overlapping hair look thicker. It looks best once it all settles around a month after the final session. During the sessions it can look REALLY dark, but it sort of settles into a lighter more natural colour after a month.

Will last around 7 years as long as I don't expose it to extreme sunshine for lengthy periods, but since it's under the overlapping hair I find it's protected.

I was in Spain under strong sunshine and it's still fine, though I made sure to wear a bandana whenever I remembered it 😂

Forgot to mention... the aftercare process is a bit of a pain after each session. No sweating for first week or so (no exercise) and no direct hair washing for a week or 2.

i.e. it's ideal if you can work from home during this! Covid was a blessing ironically! 😮

It's a bit of a pain since you need to go back for 2 more sessions a few weeks apart, so in reality it's like you can't exercise for almost 2 months. I felt that pretty badly since up to that point I was swimming in the pool 3 times a week and cycling every 2nd day.

Thanks for replying. So you basically got your crown and all the top of your head done? Were you waiting long to actually get the procedure done after your initial consultation?

yeah, so crown was main area thinning, and then top was just to increase appearance of density.

Maybe a week after consultation I started the procedure. YMMV. Depends on how busy she is I guess.

Note, SMP works best if you have hair that can cover the area (in order to darken underlying scalp and increase appearance of density), or if you are completely shaved (in order to appear that you have hair in all areas, but just shaved down).

e.g. this is from the gallery as an example of what I mean about having hair overlapping the area https://www.thescalpcare.com/gallery?pgid=jw4xvm2m-d6c0b5a4-0490-4f5c-9d06-754e56489eb6

She won't do the procedure if you aren't suitable anyway, so let her give you the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

I’m nearly a week done now. Went to Dr Gur very happy with everything so far. Very professional service time will tell but hoping for a good result :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 karanm09

I was able to get Mercer Pharmacy (Stephen Street Lower) to order it for me

FUECapilar? Did you have an in person consultation on the day, prior to surgery? How did that go? Did they give you any information about your donor site like density per cm2 and hairs per follicle etc?

Regards Finasteride. I was at the doctors and asked her about it and she said just order it of Lloydsonlinedoctor

Finasteride seems to be easy to get. It's oral minoxidil that is the tricky one to order from anyone apart from Dr Nel. I'm due for a checkup with my standard GP soon so I'll see if he would also give a prescription for that.

Finasteride should be enough I wouldnt go taking loads. if you got a HT done I would use minoxidil spray foam to help my hair grow for a year after my HT and then Finasteride should maintain it

• Advertisement

Finasteride is mainly to stop further hairloss, but Minox is more about increasing the "calibre" (i.e. hair shaft circumference) and stimulate further hair growth. So Finasteride alone may stop you losing the hair, but may not necessarily improve what you have remaining as the remaining hair does lose calibre as you get older and gets thinner.

Finasteride doesn't maintain gains from using Minoxidil. If you stop using Minox, you lose your gains. If you want to keep those gains your on Minox for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭masterboy123

So I am in week 5 post op.

My surgeon has recommended Finasteride+Minoxidil based shampoo or spray. I don't want to take oral tablets.

I found Hims UK selling spray form of 0.3% Finasteride + 6%Minoxidil. I have ordered it using AddressPal and should get it next week.

Do you guys recommend any derm rollers to spread the spray evenly?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Trying to reply to Wayne

yes we had the consult the day of surgery he examined my donor said I had lots of quadruples and enough for 3 transplants. Which I was delighted to hear. I’ll have the full breakdown of the surgery sometime this week.

now I need to start finasteride kinda nervous about that think I’ll try microdosing it first and see how I get on. I got 3222 grafts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Hopefully you react well to it, seems to be luck of the draw

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭BigProblem

0.5mm is recommended by Dr Nel. foleys chemist is where i got mine. i use regaine spray and not minoxidl tablets - loniten. Are people not afraid of side effects of using stronger version of minoxidl - loniten? think it is used for reducing blood pressure.

https://www.foleyschemist.ie/product/dermaroller-0-5mm-titanium-microneedles-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks for the link. Do you replace the derma roller every month?

I am also concerned about taking oral tablets. That's why I will use the topical form.

I did a fair bit of research or r/tressless/ when I was choosing my dermaroller and the recommendation from most was to go for 1mm titanium, but only to use it once a week.

Does make the process a little less hassle than doing it 3 times a week per Dr Nel's instruction as you need to go through a whole disinfection process too each time.

Apparently they need to be replaced every 3 months, but prob depends on how often you use it and maybe using it once a week will let you continue using it for 6 months.

Mine is still sharp after 3 months anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭BigProblem

no dr nel said you can clean them with dettol. i would replace once a year only €15 anyway. i take the topical form too - regaine liquid spray.

• Advertisement

Yeah I dunno.. I'm a bit wary of some of the things Dr Nel recommends nowadays... he initially told me that the dermaroller didn't need to be cleaned as "you can't infect yourself with your own germs" wtf

I did a quick google on using Dettol to clean a dermaroller and came up with this so ymmv

https://whitelotusbeauty.com/blogs/ukblogs/how-to-clean-your-derma-roller-clean-dermaroller

A lot of recommendations are to use isopropyl alcohol 70% so I use this stuff: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00EWVOOH8/

The bottle is huge and each one would prob last a year. I just use a shotglass to do the cleaning which is the perfect size and doesn't waste too much liquid

Advertisement