Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patient, 22, escaped hospital before stabbing priest six times in face, head and back, court hears

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yup, our mental health services are fcuked....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Hes an evil individual though wouldnt you say? Or are you going to defend him and just blame the system but not the person..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

evil, what the hell does that even mean? we ve really moved on from this type of thinking, theres clearly a history of serious mental health problems here, and a system that just isnt capable of dealing with such, this is clearly obvious! its not about defending the individual, but about applying appropriate evaluation of the situation, we can continue to point at the individual for this outcome, but i suspect it ll do fcuk all in addressing the fundamental problems, i.e. we all know our mental health services are fucked, this has always been the way, and its getting worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Needs to be put down.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Death penalty is most certainly not the answer in any civilized society

• Advertisement

• Why? Because they are mentally ill?

Sure why bother helping folks, we should just kill everyone who’s different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I would have thought murders generally have some level of mental health issues. I dont think being mad makes actions not evil.

No. Because they are all but certain to never be anything but a lethal danger to the rest of society. Even if you thought you could rehabilitate, you could never trust. It would be irresponsible to ever let them in a room with another person unsupervised again. What's the point ?

Fella he went after is as harmless as can be. About 6 stone of a man. You'd put him in your pocket. Pathetic, miserable coward and loser of a man. Insane or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes, blame everyone but the scumbag.

You’d be blaming others even if Carlsberg were running our psychiatric services.

I agree with this. Too many mistakes made. Too many gross miscarriages of justice. But I make exceptions in cases like this where there is no provocation and no doubt who is responsible. Beyond a certain threshold insanity on its own should not matter. There was a clear intent to kill here. Only incompetence saved the priest.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 always excuses away the actions of mentally ill people by going on some bizarre tangent about the system being broken. He isnt capable of saying anything negative about the long term unemployed, perpetrators of anti-social behavior, depressed people who commit crimes or those folk who milk our overly generous social welfare system for our own gain. Its all excuses, no accountability and blaming everyone else.

I absolutely knew he wouldnt condemn that crime, even when multiple stab wounds to the neck are involved. And as predictable as he is, i was proved right.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

I think if you look at events prior to the FAI Cup Final & some scenes from a GAA game

I think the whole country is fucked & no one is prepared to do anything about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JourneyMan8

your bizarre tangent about the unemployed depressed people is just as bad as his, but you can't see that in your rage 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

Not speaking for Wanderer78, he is well able to do so for himself 😄 but the system is broken. Hope it won’t happen but if you have a mental health crisis you’ll find that out for yourself. It is like everything with the public health sector in Ireland it’s a self-feeding loop. Government incapable of running the service, results in pressure on the service, people put of working in the service because of it, results in more pressure on the service. I know medical professionals who work in UHW and they are seriously thinking of changing jobs. They are just sick of the HSE and all the BS from them.

Its clear that he cant separate the act from the "system". You can be mentally suffering but you are still responsible for your actions. Wanderer78 doesnt ever acknowledge that. Nobody is to blame or accountable for their actions, its all the fault of a broken system.

And yes, of course the system is broken but somebody who stabs someone in the face multiple times is evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Of course the MH services need an overhaul. This has been shown again and again but very little seems to be done to improve the situation. this man was clearly kept in a psychiatric hospital for a good reason. Condemning him as “evil” is ignorant and a convenient way to brush the actual issue under the carpet.

Looks like people just want another thread to foam at the mouth instead of addressing the state of facilities, which should ensure patients are supervised and cared for for their own safety and that of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Advertisement