Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Dec 22 Assembly Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

You clearly said there would be no negotiations - everyone I hear now is referring to negotiations

you said there would be no changes just the inbuilt flexibilities - I think everyone knows changes are coming.

it was said there would be no talks unless the protocol bill was stopped - protocol bill is not stopped

etc

We all know the dup are not to be trusted. The only reason they are standing their ground now is because the ordinary people are holding them to account. That is why I am happy to see 80% of unionists saying to them ‘don’t you dare go back into stormont’

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Wrong. I said there would be changes within the Protocol, which there has and will be. The Protocol is not and has never been re-negotiated. It is staying and if you can’t see the writing that written on the wall this week that is your own issue. We know how this is going to play out.

Are we seeing Unionism (your post) constructing a win and capitulating? I think so.

Codding yourself and nobody else, again.

31% are happy with changes in Protocol.

Unionism is fractured.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hypothetically, exactly what changes to the protocol would it take for the DUP to decide to enter stormont?

The DUP are just saying they want changes but as usual while they're good at telling us what they don't want, they won't tell us what they do want which will then gives them the ability to constantly move the goalposts because nothing that London puts forward to the EU will suit the DUP because no matter what they get, they will will still be sitting as deputy FM beside a SF First Minister and their blind bigotry cannot get past that!

• Advertisement

Here we go again! The protocol and the WA it is part of won't be renegotiated. However the protocol has the ability to allow for adjustments to ease processes between the two sides. These can and will be negotiated.

You've been told this dozens of times. It must be the unionist side of you that never seems to listen to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If the latest poll findings indicate that unionism has decided it's fed up with Stormont (conveniently around the time they lost the FM position) then the decision facing the electorate in NI for the coming decade will be a binary one of direct rule vs reunification. I don't think this is going to be the winning strategy many unionists seem to think it will be.

Also, the demise of Stormont, and the normalisation of the idea that one side can torpedo the institutions to suit themselves, significantly undermines the case for retaining a northern assembly in the event of their being a vote for unity. Unionism won't realise until it's too late that they were the ones who needed Stormont to be seen to work much more than nationalists did.

Absolute nonsense. The dup have been very clear that they will sit with MON. So you are just being silly.

it seems very clear to me what the dup have been told by their voters that is required ie no illogical additional checks between gb and ni, and Uk jurisdiction over Uk territory

You call them adjustments if that helps you deal with the fact that there are changes to processes coming very shortly.

The Protocol will still be in place which is what you were told.

But if it ends this latest silliness, pretend you won, if that doesn't make Unionism blush heavily.

• Advertisement

This has to be the biggest face saving shift I have ever seen on this forum

“The Protocol will still be in place which is what you were told.”

I was told there would be no changes, there would be no negotiations, indeed the eu wouldn’t even engage in discussions until the protocol bill was stopped.

We are moving to a place that Uk and eu are going to have serious discussions. That has to be positive for all concerned. The gfa is important to maintaining peace and respect on this island - hopefully this is a genuine attempt by all concerned to perform cpr on it and the defibrillator is on its way. It can be resuscitated, but not if republicans won’t let the paramedics get on with their work

You are no Jeffery Donaldson, getting away from scrutiny when you tell porkies. I have been consostent on this. Negotiations will be within the existing framework of the Protocol which is going nowhere. Here I am saying it in October 2021:

But they aren't 'concessions' Rob. They are proposals on easements already possible in the Protocol. These were always changeable subject to negotiations.

#9118 here Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting) - Page 304 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

Loads more too so please stop telling porkies downcow

Was that just after partition? But it doesn’t surprise me that you are still in 1921

Back on thread, reading the first page again emphases that nationalists have a ‘our view is obviously the correct view’ attitude. Seems there is still no understanding of the depth of feeling in the unionist community about roi pushing eu to put a border in the middle of our nation. We have the gfa which promises to respect the view that the majority in ni want to live in the Uk (until/if ever otherwise). This is serious stuff when democracy is thrown out. Elections while this remains the position will be very divisive

That the best you can do?

Really is it any wonder Unionism has it’s back against a wall.

Cannot be trusted with even the basics of the truth.

Tell us now in no uncertain terms what you think will happen?

Do you believe the border will be moved /removed and the jurisdiction of the EU courts?

I was told there would be no changes, there would be no negotiations, indeed the eu wouldn’t even engage in discussions until the protocol bill was stopped.

What you have been told has not changed at all. None of the TCA will be negotiated or rewritten in the short or medium future. However, the protocol that the DUP originally supported and welcomed has the ability for easements. Again, you've been told all of this before but I guess you just enjoy trolling as I doubt you're that thick that you don't now know this.

We are moving to a place that Uk and eu are going to have serious discussions.

The EU have wanted these for several years now. It is your beloved London government (along with the DUP) who have not been serious.

The gfa is important to maintaining peace and respect on this island -

...and yet you have told us that you will vote for the one party opposed to it?

Make up your mind! 🙄

hopefully this is a genuine attempt by all concerned to perform cpr on it and the defibrillator is on its way.

Leaving aside the stupid heart attack comparison, it is the unionist parties that have been wavering when it comes to the NIP. In fact, thebprotocol came about because the DUP (who you don't support but apparenrly will vote for!) hadn't scuppered the backstop plan put forward by May' s government.

I guess the closest we can get to a heart attack treatment analogy is Donaldsons blatant lies regarding the NIP causing delays to cardiac treatment (which were provennfalse by both the health trust & Siemens)!

It can be resuscitated, but not if republicans won’t let the paramedics get on with their work

More baseless crap from you. The only ones impeding the effective operation of the NIP are the British government with the unionists cheering them on. It is rather pathetic if you need to make up stuff to get your point across.

Edit: then only involvement of republicans in all of this is the DUPs bigotry not letting them sit under a republican FM (despite anything you might believe from them!). Claiming there are issues with the NIP gives them the perfect "were not bigots" excuse!

Please stop this ‘trolling’ claim. This seems to be the go to position when some are losing arguments on here. I am not trolling, I am disagreeing.

as for gfa. I supported it from day one. If the protocol remains in its current form then I will regard it as broken. I don’t need to explain - it is so obvious.

you may be correct that Uk and eu will collude against the gfa and not allow the gfa consent principal to apply on this issue. If you are correct then this island is in for difficult days. We have a peace agreement that says certain things won’t happen without the consent of both communities.

I honestly don’t know the outcome if you are right, but I am genuinely concerned about it and its not the actions of my generation that concerns me.

Many people are angry that they swallowed some very bitter pills on promises of the gfa, and if those promises don’t matter now then it is a tricky situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You have a point but if there ever is to be some form of an Irish unified state, it's not going to be rule from Dublin.

Even the rest of the Republic is a bit fed up with how much sway Dublin has politically and economically.

Completely unbalanced development.

I said a few weeks ago that I expect you will get a more public display, pre Xmas, of the risks ahead which have been fuelled by the claims of Leo etc that there will be trouble if any checks go on land border. I have no reason to change that belief

edit - and in case that gets spun, let me be very clear, I am not suggesting there will be violence pre Xmas or in the near future, indeed I would be shocked if there was

• Advertisement

Your courts have ruled.

Disagree with the GFA if you wish, you will have zero grounds for that too

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A northern assembly would require power-sharing. If the nationalist parties decide to settle for Direct Rule from Dublin, then Dublin would have to step in and fill the vacuum. It would be a reversal of what we've got at the moment with unionists shrugging their shoulders about whether power-sharing comes back or not. This is why I think unionism is making a big mistake with their approach.

There will not be much tolerance if the UK do a deal (which looks likely) for Unionists if they don't share power. They think Stormont is sacrosanct, it isn't. Both Dublin and London will be happy to run the place together and we move closer to a BP as Unionists will have proven the present arrangement is a failure. If proof were needed.

gfa was always a compromise for unionists who were up for finding a solution that maintained the union but gave the Ira some way off the hook they were caught on, as them being on the hook of endless violence that was going nowhere was preventing NI developing. The NI community/project is stronger than it ever has been, with by-in across community backgrounds, only resisted by the shinners, the dissidents and TUV. As far as I can see everyone else is happy if we can take NI to the next step. Of course we have stuff to work on around embracing our diversity but we will get there.

sf are enjoying a rise across the island a bit like the dup did in ni when they were in opposition to uup etc. the next decade is going to present serious challenges to sf as the have to step in and become the establishment while others shout from opposition.

Enjoy it while it lasts, cause it won’t last long

• Registered Users Posts: 26,045 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Some absolutely hilarious one sided views there. Of course everyone wants the community/project to work except the biggest nationalist party. Pull the other one.

How about we look another way and rather than blame the IRA for everything blame the group who started the violence in NI the Ulster Volunteers.

Because let's not forget it's not the GFA but Northern Ireland itself that was "a solution that gave the Unionists some way off the hook they were caught on, the hook of violence"

Union/Loyalism: Brought the gun back into Irish politics 1912.

Unionism/Loyalism: Threatens to do the same 2022.

It is difficult to put into words the tension which this has created, and we would hope unionist leaders would send a clear and unequivocal message in regards to this issue. The message from loyalism should be heard and understood clearly: there are no circumstances in which joint-authority would be tolerated, and any effort to impose it would inevitably have dire consequences for the progress made from 1994 onwards.

Meanwhile the US makes it clear what is required. UK signaling they will comply.

I see what you done there - dropped ‘NI community’ to ‘community’ . I am simply pointing out that the current largest party in the last election do not want NI to work. Surely you can’t disagree with that. If NI works it defeats their raisin d’etre. Heck, they can’t even say the name of the place, they detest it so much. That is an unusual problem for them and also for all the rest of the parties who want NI to work.

I think the charge of 'not wanting NI to work' has to be laid at the door of those trying to enforce a veto they don't have. The Protocol is not a devolved issue and that has been legally ratified by 'British' courts but yet Unionism is insisting on trying to extricate themselves from their own mess by destroying devolution and various agreements. Own it, you are voting for it after all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

SF are not alone in refusing to name places correctly.

I pointed out earlier in this thread that it is a pity that the GFA (also known to some as the Belfast Agreement) did not define the names to be used in official bulletins, including Gov statements, broadcasters and publications, and elected representatives. It did not happen and we still get Southern Ireland, Free State, 26 counties, Six counties, Ulster, Eire (when used incorrectly), even Republic of Ireland, and plenty more.

No one refers to 'The Republic of France', or 'the Republic of Italy'. The name for this place is Ireland.

• Advertisement

We can argue the point all day about whether changing the protocol is good or bad for NI.

what we can both agree (I hope) is that on one party in NI need NI not to work and can’t even utter its name.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement