Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I think Lowry's a better FB than JOB, but O'Brien acquitted himself well and has certainly earned another stab at it. His versatility makes him a good bench option.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭LRind2008

Disagree and so does Farrell, being versatile makes you a good player lol. Having skills that broadly apply to a number of different positions is one of the best skills to have as a back three player and If JOB is deemed to be more versatile that means hes a better player and thus picked by Farrell

Yes - they have a cap each so that's that settled for eternity. Thanks for setting me straight, Mrs O'Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭LRind2008

Sorry your son didnt get picked Ms Lowry, better luck next time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

How can you say that JOB, who hasnt yet played for Ireland in the back three, is ahead of Lowry in the back three. Is there any chance that Farrell wants a look at him at full back and thats why he is starting this weekend, and it says absolutely nothing about the current pecking order?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Dick Spring got three caps. JOB is a much better player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I'd usually be of the opinion that it shouldn't make much difference which side a winger plays on in rugby. But it seems to me that Hansen plays much better on the left. Am I the only one who thinks that?

I also think Lowe and Hansen on the wings lacks a bit of pace. I think one of Lowe/Hansen, and one of Baloucoune/Conway gives a better balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I don't think Hansen has had a good stand out game on the right wing.. pretty sure he hasn't scored from the right wing. Open to correction on that.

Outside of Keenan the competition for the back 3 positions in the World squad will be very interesting.

Hansen has will have a fight on his hands from Lowe, stockdale and even JOB for that left wing slot.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Reading that, when you get to 'John Dyer' sounds like that sketch in the Fast Show on Chanel 9.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

You're quoting a post form 13th October saying "if we were playing in the morning". At the time I think that was correct.

In the meantime 1) Lowry didn't have a great outing vs NZ XV and 2) JOB played brilliantly vs SA.

Them's the breaks. That's absolutely the way selection should work and fair play to JOB for taking his chance. (He wouldn't have even been on the bench but for Henshaw's injury, incidentally).

But it can still have been correct to think, at the time, Lowry was next in line. It seems he's not any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Lads Lowe is a mortal lock on the wing if fit surely? He's head and shoulders above any other wing in the country. He really suits the way Ireland are playing too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think at the moment, Keenan, Lowe an Hansen are the first choice back-3. After that, it's much less clear who'd be next in line if everyone were fit. It's anyone from Baloucoune, Stockdale, JOB, Conway, Earls, Larmour. (Personally, I'd back Conway to be next up).

I think the wing almost more than any other position, some really good players are going to miss out on the RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

On rewatch of the SA test, I think Doris was the standout player. A lot of players played extremely well; VDF and Ringrose especially. But Doris was incredible.

He hits like a truck in attack and defence and just doesn't stop. He's a proper 80 minute player. He's a top level athlete with great technique and game intelligence. He'd start for any side in world rugby wight now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Doris was superb! But he wouldn't start for any side in world rugby right now.

I really thought Porter had a great outing. His scrum is improving and he's an absolute unit in the loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

Aldrit is a little bit ahead of Doris, maybe Savea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Doris has played a lot of rugby at blindside as well. He isn't just competing with the players mentioned above. He's getting into the backrow of any side in world rugby I'm 100% certain if that.

He's a sensational player.

Unfortunate injury for Henshaw. Hopefully he's ok for Australia.

We didn't really learn much from the Fiji game. Treadwell and Timoney are well worth their spot in the squad. Herring is third choice hooker, but a high quality one.

We're hanging all our hopes on Sexton. Carbery didn't really impress during his time in the pitch.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Loughman is now firmly a viable option at 1. Perfect timing as Healys star is waining. I though loughman was great today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Poor fair to be honest. Just couldn't get into it.

Decent win and some new caps. No bad performances. It was just meh.

After the two sa performances in the last week, maybe I was a bit hyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭letsbefair

We really missed James Lowe and Hugo Keenan in the backs. The difference when they were playing against the All Blacks is massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

A big issue is Carbery at 10. He just doesn’t get the backline going. And another start against Australia isn’t going to suddenly change that. He’s had plenty of opportunities over the last few years and hasn’t put any pressure on Sexton at all.

I’d love to see Farrell throw Crowley in at 10 against Australia in an otherwise full strength team. Carbery will always be a decent back up to Sexton but we need more than that. If Crowley goes well, suddenly we’ve built a bit of depth and he’ll probably get a few more immediate opportunities as first choice Munster 10. If not, we can still revert to Carbery and Crowley goes back to compete with Healy and Carbery. He

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Porter was considered the weak point at the start of the game by Schalk Berger..mind you he had plenty of weak points to mention.. in between moaning about the ref before the game even started

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Farrel playing 4D chess here(isn't chess and everything else 4D?), Go hard on the lads after a win, going hard after a defeat is just confidence sapping

• Registered Users Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'd like to see a similar side next week. Maybe give Loughman a start. Henderson if healthy should get into the squad. I'd like to see Casey start also. JOB will probably miss out and I wouldn't expect Henshaw either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I’d love to see Farrell throw Crowley in at 10 against Australia

On what basis?

He was serviceable and no more against a 13/14 man Fiji team. He has no track record worth talking about at Munster.

We need some perspective here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Carbery isn't really great?

I have sympathy for the opinion on the sole basis that what we already have is not good enough so a roll of the dice is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Exactly my reasoning. It’s a gamble but why not take it? We know what Carbery can do. More game-time isn’t going to make a difference. If Crowley played, was solid defensively and kicked his goals, suddenly he’s an option. He doesn’t have to do anything fancy. That’s where the bar ia at.

By the way I’d say the same with Frawley if he could stay fit or Healy. If Carbery goes down, who is 3rd choice right now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Carbery took an awful bang on the head today, he'll likely miss next Saturday meaning Crowley will be on the bench against Australia.

That's an incredible state of affairs for a guy who started the season as third choice at Munster, but there's no real reason to start him

Advertisement