Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

I think of all the things I have done in life to deal with my depression and depression related issues - my relationship with sleep has to be in the top list somewhere.

People who know me tend not to know I have any issues with depression mainly because I have not had an attack of it for years and I am quite happy and content and stable in life. It's a bit like an alcoholic who has not had a drink for 15 years or someone who is diabetic who has never visibly had an issue. They are still an alcoholic/diabetic. But since they have successfully kept on top of it for so long - no one knows/notices and often even find it hard to believe there is a problem if the person mentions it.

But the work to keep on top of it is constant and daily. Some of it is difficult. Some of it is so routine that it's almost instinct. But the work is always there. And even one day of slip can be disaster. I know it's always there and it peeks out just enough every so often to remind me it has not gone away. But I so far have kept it down. I often think of a beautiful line I heard coming from a guy in the homosexual community back in the day they were fighting for right which essentially went "Those who tried to push us down and bury us - did not realize we were seeds". A line that gave me a kind of respect for my depression that it is in many ways similar.

But for me sleep was a huge one as most of my demons and attacks and descent into the darkness came late at night. That is when I was most vulnerable and prone to all kinds of negativity or suffering. So the only thing that worked for me was a complete shift in my sleep schedule. So nowadays I get out of the bed at 4a.m. and go straight for a run regardless of the weather. And I am in bed by 10 most nights.

For me at least this has usurped a huge chunk of the battle ground my old nemesis used to fight and often win on. He is still powerful and I still have to keep him down. But that one move at least knee capped the bugger and let me focus on the other moves / routines / practices in my life that keep him down.

But since sleep is such a foundational thing in my never ending war - the platform that for me is foundational to everything else - I have a lot of deep sympathy and empathy for anyone who is having trouble sleeping. There are so many things that help me sleep and have helped others - so I guess all there is to it is to try them all until you find the one (or combination) that hopefully works for you. I know what works for me - but alas human diversity does have it's downsides and everyone is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Funny how everyone's sleep has been disrupted this week, my own included.

Weather most definitely isn't helping. It's affecting many people's moods, and it's most definitely making some people I know very...disagreeable, to put it mildly.

Last few days, sleep is up and down, I think Wednesday I got about 4 hours sleep. Then today I think I got about 12 or so. It's no fun. IF the weather were at least stable, I think my sleep would be too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Amid our first LOUD autumn gale out here in the Atlantic and two sleepless nights. My life just now is total nasty chaos all round and my only solace is abed "good cause" knitting snugged in with youtube and a cat or two ...We are totally cut off of course... Wish it would TURN THE VOLUME DOWN ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Thanks for reminding me of the important of sleep.

Have not been sleeping well recently due to ongoing hard problems. But ... Not enough exercise, too much caffeine, inconsistent bed times - I can fix these.

Got up at 4:30 to fix up some work stuff that was bothering me, so that a little problem does not escalate into a storm in a teacup. 5 mins work to save a load of hassle today. So, it's worth it. Stupid life to be honest.

The weather is all over the place. Cold, warm, wet, windy.

An annoying bugger of a mouser isn't helping. Been hearing him scratching in the walls, then he appeared last night, being somewhat foolish and moving all over the place. Usually put down some kind of poison or bait in the attic, and then monitor if any of it has been eaten. For months, nothing has been touched. But wet weather means they seek out a new place to 'chill'. Our cat's usually catch them, as in you might see a mouse outside, but the following day mouse has disappeared. And cat looks happy with themselves.

And now he's chilling in the walls, or making an appearance last night. Gonna put down another trap... might catch him.

• Advertisement

Had a new therapy session today. Been a few weeks due to the weather and having to change therapists a few times due to scheduling clashes.

Felt strange to open up again. Actually felt physically...drained, after. Like, the feeling you have after a heavy workday. Therapist was genuinely kind and friendly.

Even for a first session, opened up a few wounds again.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ifeelabreeze

Recently started on 50mg Setraline after tethering on a breakdown, for no apparent reason.

I'm only 2 days in and I feel weird, like I'm fully of energy but also still not 100% mentally, my eyes just feel wired or something..

I'm also somewhat worried I may be bipolar and not depressed but as my GP said 'we'll try this and see how we go'.. I was quite proud of myself, I've spoken to professionals in the past and this is the first time I've been deeply honest, as opposed to just surface level.

We do what we need to. Lack of sleep this week ( gales are deafening out here) has resulted in the SAD moving in BUT I had to walk a little this morning to prevent immobility creeping in. Swings and roundabouts always and that is normal.

My cats have the best method.. Food then crash for the day... But I am near tears with sheer weariness. Need to stay awake until early bed to get back into the habit. Crevee a s the French say..

Careful with poison... I will not use it. When I was new here it had been empty years. There was apparently a "rat run" along the gate and the cats took up residence there. One was as big as a well grown kitten, and they are such beautifully designed critters. Just not by my home. Depresses me some. No more rats...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭nothing

It can increase anxiety in the first couple of weeks, but do keep an eye on it

• Advertisement

Only use it indoors, never outdoors. Cats and dogs do the ratcatcher/ mouse catching work. For us, it's in the attic, and in a press, that's it.

Have over-peopled the last few days and just want to hide for a week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Ooh i feel that one. The most talking i do is on here really.. Don't have the spoons for a full on engagement every day.

I feel that. Even an hour long conversation can be draining. I wonder if that's why many of us don't talk on the phone anymore.

Emails, and other apps, seem to be a lot less.... energy consuming.

No attic or even roof space here! I found blue poison at the back of the food cupboard when I moved it but my cats deter..

In an ever deepening black tunnel due to others' totally evil and knowledgeably deliberate actions .... Helpless and sinking more each day. Cannot take much more. I have done nothing to merit this. Nothing.

Feeling pretty awful today. Too many things haunting me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

You took the words from my mouth. I feel like i'm being dragged too many directions too.

That reminds me of one rental in Donegal when a mouse RAN ACROSS MY PILLOW... It gave the dog and cats the runaround until I finally threw my nightie over it and liberated it in the garden...

My head is wrecked.

Time to slow down and give up crap.

Again 😄

• Advertisement

So lucky I have a good psychologist, held out little hope for today's session but we salvaged something

Have 2nd psychotherapist apt tomorrow.

Never quite sure the difference between a "logist" and "therapist.

Ah don't confuse me I've enough to think about 🤣

Asked a really dumb question just now on a what's app group, that proves my work life balance is all hamster wheel work based and trying to address personal and family problems. Running to stand still stuff.

I really don't know how other people find time to participate in and contribute to society and have a family and job at the same time.

I think if everything is going swimmingly then it's possible. But there is no time for anything when one or more big problems crop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 T4two

I tested positive for Covid about 2.5 weeks ago. Still have lingering symptoms, tiredness and am now feeling low and flat. I am on mirtazapine for anxiety for the last couple of years - can't relax, racing heart etc.. This is different - feel down, disinterested, agitated. I live alone so all the isolation probably didn't help - although usually I enjoy my own company. Can anyone relate?

The tiredness and agitation is apparently commonplace with post-covid recovery. It takes a darn long time. Some folks have found taking Vitamin D has helped the recovery. It certainly helped me. It took a long time tho, a couple of months to get back to average. I lost my sense of smell and taste too. And that was more worrying, in that I didn't know WHEN that would recover. (It took about two or three months).

So glad it works for you.. I lost all trust during the decades of misdiagnosis as they got things so very very wrong and did so much hurt. So very glad for you..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Does anyone have difficulty with hugs? I can’t remember the last time I felt a hug that I could fall into and surrender into

• Advertisement

Advertisement