Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,628 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I will rule it out for you.

Only an incredibly stupid person could believe that Ukraine are going to attempt a landing on the opposite shore of the Dnipro at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

The experts always knew Russia was ****. We don't know until it's done. Who else is ****, who are overrated? I think China are ****. USA are the power now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

USA UK/FRA/CAN AUS/NZ were always the big fish. They need boogey men for the old budgets for armies. New Reports coming out that Germany is in worse shape than anyone thought. For example you don't spend $1m on training a sniper not to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Still no sign of Putin, that dude is dead, shredded into a million pieces, and will never be heard of again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Would not get the hopes up I bet he has doubles like most of the other lads at the top.

Edit as in Dictators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

USA has always been the power. There isn't a military on earth that comes even remotely close to their capability.

The world's second army is China, but in an actual conventional war they would be crushed. Doesn't mean they couldn't inflict damage obviously, but they wouldn't stand a chance.

Russia definitely was ridiculously over-rated as a military, but as you said, the experts knew that. What they didn't predict was a showing as utterly dismal as the one in Ukraine considering they were going up against a foe so minuscule comparatively and operating a similar level of tech.

Modern wars are won by intelligence, strike capability, combined arms, tech and effective air power. Infantry, tanks, armored vehicles, planes, are worthless without structure, leadership, tech, etc.

Look at the Gulf Wars. Iraq lost thousands of tanks/AFV's while the coalition was barely scratched.

This is why Russia has floundered in Ukraine, it's why Israel was able to beat the brakes off several numerically superior countries at once on several occasions, etc.

EU armies are weak on paper compared to say, Russia, but in any actual conventional war, they would pummel Russia regardless. Their general tactics, command control, is still stuck in the WW2 mindset of brute force.

It's mind-boggling how many countries maintain huge low-tech armies at huge expense, that are effectively useless in modern war.

You can rule out as much as you want,only time will tell

And it makes perfect sense to continue the offensive

And no,its common sense,for some,obviously not you,or it could simply be Ukraines intelligence trying to fool the russians again,thinking an attack will come,and its coming somewhere else,we have seen that before,to split up their forces again.

Remember Ukraine rotate their troops,new fresh troops will continue,the Kherson liberators will rest,for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I dunno, isn't this the time he'd usually be attacking some kindergarten , or hospital, but instead silence, that dude is toast

• Registered Users Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lol my first thought was why are those retards parading in Moscow? "Love Ulster" on tour!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

O he is still around alright, in his panic room in his bunker fearing that dastardly Gargamel. [he of smurf fame] 😀

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Don't forget the second largest standing army in NATO, Turkey.

Impressively equipped, with a huge military industrial capability, building both home-grown and licenced equipment. They've quietly and confidently become stronger and have gained plenty of experience. They are also the second most powerful army in the middle east, after Israel and ahead of Saudi Arabia.

It's common for folks, including myself, to forget about this particular sleeping giant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

You do realise that Francie has consulted the Big Book of Bollocks about this?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its fairly unlikely to be an "invasion" force intended to maintain a beachhead, but they absolutely have the SOF and the necessary morale, skills and planning to launch a raid (and plenty of very not stupid people agree with this).

Which is not to say that Russia could be in such disarray that a permanent presence is not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Russia still has the 6000 odd nuclear war heads and no matter how poorly they have been maintained who wants to keep calling their bluff……putin is such an unpredictable and insane abomination of a human that he can’t be trusted not to use them….😡

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Someone loaded an accurate model of the Chinese '5th' gen 'stealth' J-20 into an electronics environment simulator to estimate it's radar cross section and it's about as stealthy as an F-18.

China is every bit as much overrated as Russia. Recently there has been a major scandal about them hiring ex RAF and USAF pilots to train their air force. Australia just arrested a retired USAF pilot on his return to Oz from CHina. He's in custody awaiting extradition to the US.

China spends somewhere around 15% more or internal security than external, a mind boggling thought.

This is Evgeny Nuzhin. A wagner recruit from a russian prison who was captured by the Ukrainian forces and then fought with the Ukrainian forces and then was recaptured by the Russian forces.

What they did?

They plastic wrapped his head to a wall and smashed his head with a sledgehammer for show on camera.

The head of the Wagner group admits he enjoyed watching the footage.

Seconds before death while being filmed he got his last words in “I am Yevgeny Anatolievich Nuzhin, born in 1967, who went to the front to fight alongside Ukraine against the Russians.

“On September 4, I carried out my plan to go over to the side of Ukraine. On November 11, 2022, I was on the streets of Kyiv where I received a blow to the head, causing me to lose consciousness.

“I woke up in this basement, being told I was going to be put on trial.”

The Horde just tried a test of the Poseidon nuclear torpedo in the arctic and it failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

……putin is such an unpredictable and insane abomination of a human that he can’t be trusted not to use them….

I this is the case, then the solution is obvious. You eliminate the threat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭greenpilot

A good analysis of the hypothetical next steps for Ukraine towards Crimea, now very much within range.

I'd rather not have either of them to be honest.

It purely reflects on the perpetrators and the show they made and what classes for their standards now. Putin take note if this is what is classed as the level it's at now.

What goes around. Comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Ukrainians say he was part of a prisoner exchange, the Russian Wagner crowd claim they kidnapped him from the streets of Kyiv. I believe the former as no way do I beleiev a Wagner squad is operating in Kyiv.

Though it begs the question why did they exchange this guy after putting him on TV, interviewing him, where he disowned Russia and said he wanted to fight for Ukraine? Surely they knew what would happen him? Surely they knew his almost certain fate would put off others who might surrender?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

...If correct, the casualties would represent two-thirds of the Russian troops initially committed to the invasion.

It’s no wonder a group of Russian women said they would set off for Ukraine to rescue their injured husbands believed abandoned on the battlefield by their commanders.

They recorded a video outside an army base in Valuiki, 16 kilometres from the border with Ukraine, on Wednesday night (Ukraine time) saying they were going to cross the border to search for the men themselves since the military had turned down their pleas for help.

It is understood their husbands, who were recently called up in Kursk, Voronezh and Belgorod, came under heavy artillery fire outside Makiivka in eastern Ukraine, about 145 kilometres from the Russian border. Only 159 of the soldiers are thought to have survived the bombardment and many are said to be carrying their injured comrades on their backs as they struggle to get to safety.

“Our guys are being thrown into the fight like blind kittens into a fire. They’re not allowed to retreat, they’re threatened with execution and will be listed as missing because formally they are not part of any military unit,” Svetalana Gorbatenko, who is pregnant with her third child, said in a post on VKontakte, a Russian social network.

Her husband and the other members of his unit were sent to Ukraine a week after they were mobilised “with no training, supplies or command”, she said. In the video one woman can be heard demanding that military officials return their husbands or they will “tear them apart”.

Yulia, the wife of another mobilised man, said the commander of his company told her only 30 out of 200 men had survived the Ukrainian attack. Her husband was “crying for help”, she said.

Russian military commanders fighting on three fronts now: Ukraine, The Politico TV chattering classes and now the wives. I think a collapse from within Russsia wil happen well before an Ukrainian inflicted millitary defeat and it might happen very soon. Dugin vs Putin vs Yevgeny Prigozhin clearly trying to unset Putin and take the country and probably lots that's not making it to western media.

Were I running a security service, my number one priority would be to eliminate Prigozhin now because that becomes near impossible if he becomes a head of state, whereas he can be snuffed now with no, or minor, repercussions.

Well maybe re-read the accounts of how Ukrainian POWs are being constantly tortured to death, and the reason should become pretty clear, very rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭threeball

I wouldnt bank on the Chinese being 2nd in line. Russia were 2nd in line before this war proved they were strong on paper only. China haven't shown they are capable of anything so far and they don't have military tradition to fall back on. The brits on the other hand, have been there done that and their gear is top notch. They would have beaten the brakes off Russia if they were in Ukraines position.

Plus they have reliable allies to supply them as stocks run low. This war has shown just how important that is. All these lose alliances between Iran, Russia, China etc are so flakey as to be worthless. They'd cut one another's throat if the wind changed direction.

Those thoughts crossed my mind.

My own. There seems to be some behind the scenes talks between Kyiv and Moscow. What with Kherson, etc.

There's a show being put on and this poor fecker was a pawn demanded.

As you say the alternative is wagner operatives able to work in Kyiv still and that's not a good look either.

War. Huh. What is it good for?...

exactly and they always send scouts and SOF before they send an invasion force before a landing

Or it could be another deception move like i mentioned to split up the russian defences

• Advertisement

I am well aware of that

I stick to consulting the big book of common sense

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement