Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,375 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

That's why people called his a cult of personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I wonder if the GOP are still entertaining the idea of installing trump as speaker of the house, remember that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

As Podge said, it's very much a cult of personality now in Trump circles. I don't personally know any Trumpists but I'd wager that if you asked a batch of MAGA people about whether they're Trumpists or Republicans, most of them would say that they're Trumpists. It's not as simple as the GOP ditching Trump and gathering around someone else that stands for Trump's policies. As has been mentioned, Trump was a Democrat until about a decade ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,855 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Not too sure if this should be on this thread but can the Republican party really back DeSantis too hard. If he sees the party that they see him as the one to save him, could he see himself as a GOD and grap the party like Trump did

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I don't think it can be understated how damaging these election results are to Donald Trump.

He explicitly backed all the election deniers for the express purpose of helping him win in 2024.

His ability to win was heavily predicated on having people like Lake and Mastriano in place in key swing States, where they could directly influence election results or where they would be open to accepting whatever nonsense legal agreement he put out to overturn a result etc.

He has none of that now.. every single one of his acolytes fly beaten in the swing States.

His one narrow pathway to a 2024 victory is gone and I think he knows it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Cut scene to Trump announcing 2024 presidential run.

Arrested Development voice over: he didn't know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,375 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I remember a while back calling DJT one of the biggest (bigly?) Losers in American politics and a poster or two taking issue.

I presume that dispute is now resolved?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It's pretty clear he can't win an election when you must capture a majority of votes. Nor does his influence help in those.

He did win 1 election though. Unlike, say, Stacey Abrams :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,698 ✭✭✭✭briany

I hope you're right, but one thing that remains troubling is how much MAGA can infiltrate the electoral process at lower volunteer levels. The other thing is that this election subversion does not begin and end with Trump and his copycats. You have other actors out there, like Steve Bannon, who are happy to chip away at confidence in the electoral process. They won't stop trying to achieve their aims just because Trump goes away. Bannon has appealed to MAGA crazies to get involved in the elections under the premise of election security, and has made it known that this is what he wants to do, which decreases election confidence on the other side. He's seen American democracy shook in 2020 and is determined to keep lighting fires around its foundation until it falls and he's absolutely laughing at the slap on the wrist he was given for his refusal to testify in the 6/1 hearings.

Just saw a clip of an interview with Clinton's former press secretary, who made a very good point about the future of Trump that's been mentioned here also. The GOP will continue to hitch their cart to Trump because they can't afford to sacrifice the vote of the right wing scum he's brought into the party - Proud Boys, Oathkeepers, racists. Plus, the extra hardcore percentage of voters that only want to vote for Trump. Trump may be possibly the most consistent loser in the history of US politics but he won't be going anywhere anytime soon. I'd give it a month before the Republicans in Congress (after complaining about the midterms for a couple of weeks) are back solidly behind the Trump 2024 idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,698 ✭✭✭✭briany

That's not really much of an insight at this stage, or it shouldn't be. Until the Republican grassroots turn on Trump, the Republican party officials cannot do much against him. All they can do, as we have seen, is float a few boats of this idea of turning away from Trump and see what kind of a reaction they get.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Him knowing he can't win and him running for his personal benefit are two different things.

He'll still announce his run because he thinks it helps him with his legal issues and depending on how badly his legal issues go, he may then try to parlay his stepping aside into pardons and concessions to protect him and his money

• Registered Users Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the vast, vast majority of those people though would vote for the GOP candidate regardless, because regardless of how pro-Trump they are, they're also staunchly anti-Dems, and they wouldn't want Dems in power. I doubt even most of them would abstain if its not Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

He did win 1 election though. 

Well yeah, for a guy who had never previously been elected to anything to win the presidency is an achievement no matter what way you slice it. You might say well the Republicans were due one after eight years of Obama and Hillary was a pretty uninspiring opponent, but he still had to win the Republican nomination over some pretty serious pols like Cruz and Rubio...

The approval rating of Trump within GOP voters would dictate that they are in the majority, whether the GOP retains those voters when trump doesn't get the nomination depends on the charisma and marketing ability of that appointee, and I can't see that from RDS or any other possible current front runner

I think actual GOP voters will definitely move to a new GOP candidate if there is one. I suppose the main consideration for the GOP is how many of their voters are purely Trumpers. If the Trumpers amount to less than the potential independent / annoyed Dem voters that they might pick up with another candidate, then they're obviously better to ditch Trump now. It's going to be interesting to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

He captured the majority of the electoral college votes, but not the majority of the American voting public. Lost by about three million votes in 2016 and that loss doubled in 2020. Common knowledge, I know, but I think it's worth pointing out whenever the opportunity arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭basillarkin

back to back

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd love to see Trump go in as a 3rd party candidate setting up his own MAGA party bringing with him some of those crazy GOP elected candidates with him as he tries to burn down the GOP.

Knowing Trump's love for branding everything Trump, it of course would be called The Trump MAGA Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,378 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

One man during the reception couldn't bring himself to just enjoy their (least favorite) daughters wedding after the Senate control was projected to remain with Democrats (yes, the news broke during the reception)

• Advertisement

A split-second photo of Trump taken in the middle of a wedding celebration, propagated as if it means he's upset about the midterm election results.

I'm no fan of Trump, but this kind of desperate balderdash is embarrassing.

Utterly bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The New York Times' Maggie Haberman is perhaps the most renowned journalistic authority on Trump and his circus. She won a Pulitzer Prize for her work covering him.

She has long term, corroborated sources close to him and this week she has been describing how angry, distracted and betrayed he has been acting.

He sees the performance of candidates, who OWED him for his endorsement, as a personal insult.

You can dismiss all the soundbitey, tabloid coverage you like, but not the serious press.

Trump is ****ed. He knows he's ****ed. All the people who have tied themselves to his fortunes, know he is ****ed and are moving very quickly into ass covering mode, just as the Jan 6 and SDNY prosecutions are beginning to zero in on him.

This third tilt at the White House, that will be announced on Tuesday, is nothing more than an attempt to delay justice and assert immunity.

It won't work. In fact, all it will do, is ensure Walker loses the Georgia Runoff and split the Republican vote all the way to mid-2024 until they select DeSantis or Haley or Pompeo to be the actual candidate.

So far as the Dems are concerned, he's the gift that keeps on giving, they'd LOVE him to run as a third candidate all the way, assuming he's not legally barred in the meantime, by being convicted of insurrection against the United States and hence disqualified under Section 3 of the 14th Amendment.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

For someone who claims to not be a fan of trump you do spend a lot of time defending him and repeating his talking points.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

If Trump does in fact run how is he going to square off the “stolen election” line and willingly take part in another election, which in his designs would just be “stolen” by Democrats and the media again?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I did read someone quip "Who knew Tiffany's something blue was going to be Nevada" 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Because he is dealing with morons. He'll tell them whatever. That's the beauty of morons

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The next people to "steal" an election from Trump, will be the Republicans when they nominate somebody else for the White House. In an openly declared vote on the convention floor.

Lets see how he squares that with his moron disciples.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The GQP primaries will be a hoot. The party runs them, imagine how much mischief TFG and his zombies can get up to with vote counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The caucases will be even more fun. Trumps morons will show up in force

• Advertisement

"after all I've done for those RINOS" he'll screech, which is kinda true. The GOP were on a downward spiral before 2016, they latched onto trump and identity politics in a hope to save themselves

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement