Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't buy Crypto with my AIB debit card on Coinbase??

• 12-11-2022 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Trying to make my first crypto purchase on coinbase (tiny amount while I figure my way around this whole thing) but according to Coinbase the transaction can't be made apparently my bank (AIB) is blocking or has some issue with it. Can't remember the exact wording and Coinbase states that another failure with this card may make it unusable on Coinbase.

Note: There's money in my AIB Account and all of my set up is fine with Coinbase from what I can see...

Yes I'm pretty green on this - not making any serious investments or anything like that - just want to get started and right now seems like a great time to buy.

Thanks to anyone who can give me some pointers on this.

Comments

Do you mind me asking why you’d pick this week, of all weeks, to start off on your crypto journey? Maybe fortune favours the brave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,244 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

@OP Maybe its a message that your better investing elsewhere. Crypto is a gimmic that will eventually end in tears for everyone silly enough to think they are investing in something when it in fact does not even exist.

In fact in the last few months lots of people have been burnt by it already realising what a stupid thing it was to put real money into something that is fake and does not exist.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

You need to get push notifications and approve them with the AIB app. If you’re buying now make sure you have a hardwares wallet too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Well if he gets in now at the bottom then he's done better than most, including me

OP, most banks will block first time transactions to crypto exchanges so some sort of verification on your account side may be required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

They said the same thing about the internet, except back then we hadn't got the internet to post about it, because it didn't exist - but now that we have the internet then crypto certainly does exists, in the same way boards.ie exists - have a great day!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭circadian

Not the worst time to start DCA if you think the market will eventually bounce back. Remains to be seen if it can in fact recover and also how far this crash is going. I suspect $8k bitcoin will be something in the next 6 months or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Learn to read charts and interpret them before investing in anything.

Looking at a Weekly BTCUSD chart I certainly would not be buying anytime soon

I recommend Trading view for learning to read charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭DrFroggies

I've been waiting for prices to fall before buying. And I'll be buying fairly conservatively so I'm not taking any high risks.

Yeah I agree there will be tears and have been before but it's no harm to get a handle on it while it's still around...that way if it vaporises or crashes etc then no harm no foul...it's an education. If not then these are always the best times to get into opportunities especially when it's not high risk for me...like I say I'm not looking to make serious investments right now and my sense is that whether it tanks or not the odds are higher that there is something worth understanding better here.

Thanks Potatoeman! Yeah I've been looking at Hardware Wallets. Do you mind me asking how I go about getting push notifications with AIB (just moved to them from UB so not as familiar with the ins-and-outs as I was with UB. Basically I was trying to purchase via Coinbase on their website via my desktop and I got the message mentioned in my original post...so not sure.

• Advertisement

That is exactly my thought erlichbachman thanks! Do you mean looking for coinbase to verify or AIB? Thanks again.

Yep circadian that's what I'm thinking. It's a risk but a calculated one and I'm not planning on any wild expenditure so I'd accept the loss if it doesn't recover but it if does (and I think it likely will in some way shape or form) then it will have been a smart enough move I think.

Thanks to all of you for you advice. Sorry to reply to each quote individually I'm sure there used to be a multi-quote option here on boards but I can't find it anymore.

Just to give a bit of framework on my thoughts here.

I'm no expert on any of this but I've been learning and following what's happening for sometime and I've had the general sense that a big crash was due pretty soon (though I couldn't have imagined the bizarre FTX drama) it's obvious in this kind of wild frontier period of any new thing. However I look at something like Solana which had reached up to €225 last year and at the time of writing this it's worth around €11 and my thought is given the proximity of exposure Solana seems to have had to the FTX it could well disappear but if it survives it will probably rise to a healthy enough number again...even if that's not as high as €225 but more likely €20 - €50 it's still not a terrible return on what is at present a very small investment. I still remember many years back when I was in college and couldn't afford bus fare I was telling anyone who would listen that I'd invest in BitCoin if I could afford it (it was around €150 - €250 at the time if I recall) well if I'd even just invested €250 and if it crashed to €2500 now that would still be a nice return or if I'd invested and jumped out now I'd have earned a fair auld whack on my initial investment. Again my feeling on these things is that it's not the volatility of any potential asset market that is risky - it's the extent of exposure you allow yourself to have. My hope is for anyone who has invested during more robust periods of health for Crypto that it does recover and they at least break even. But for me it won't be any real risk at all and I've no doubt that even if it recovers and I see my investment shoot up it will still crash again and again but if the initial investment is an amount you can afford to lose then it's worth it even just for the experience.

Finally I think whether it's NFT or Crypto or Blockchain or any other aspect of this new unpredictable evolution of the digital/online environment...Web3 is coming and it will be just as disruptive as all previous iterations so getting to grips with every aspect of it (possible) now is worth investment.

Not saying I'm right and I've no crystal ball but that's my 'philosophical approach' to all of this. Anyway I'm going to see if first and foremost I can sort this not being even able to purchase any crypto issue out first.

Thanks again folks and if you've any other thoughts please do feel free to share!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Ledger has the better UI, but Trezor has slightly better security given their user list was never leaked. I’d send any package to your work address just incase, they all have a security seal when they arrive.

For AIB you need to get push notifications, if you’re not getting them it will block the site or card. So contact their support. My wife had this issue too, they fixed it and she didn’t use it again for a few months so it was back again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Aib block crypto transactions through debit cards.

You have two options:

1. Do a SEPA bank transfer from AIB to Coinbase.
    2. Top up your Revolut account, and use your revolut debit card. (Better yet, do you bank transfer through Revolut and use SEPA instant).

Advertisement