Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sponsored by Your License Fee: The Late Late Show Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Sweet Talkin Romeo

heard she was "going to do 'pass/ordinary maths' for the 'leaving' cert" , but was listening intently to see what level she was doing for JC, and was left none the wiser on that matter :(

she got 97% tho !

an 11/12yo gets 97% in JC in Maths, but is going to do Pass level for the Leaving Cert - odds are she did Pass Maths in the Junior Cert

marital arts expert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I'd be more worried about the level of maths at Junior Certificate pass. I have a feeling that their are many 6th class students who could get a similar result in pass maths for the junior. Having not done pass maths (I did honours as I is intelligent, no offence to anyone who did pass) I believe there is a big jump from Junior to Leaving Cert in ordinary/pass level.

Anyway bigger question on the level of education we are giving students, well done to her and her family.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,348 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I did "ordinary level" (pass) LC maths (pre-90s dumbing down) but went on to get an honours physics degree!

The so-called honours maths teacher in our school (Dublin suburb populated by poorer people doomed to fail) was nicknamed "Psycho" and it was not inaccurate. Going into his class in 5th year we were joined with his repeating LC failures from the year before. Vote of confidence or what. Half the time this guy would rant off about condoms or cigarettes or whatever else was occupying his psychotic mind. How he held on to his job I'll never know.

I succeeded in life, no thanks to those "Christian Brother" cúnts and the useless tools that most of the teachers they employed were.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Did he carry a T-square around with him by any chance?

• Advertisement

Nope

Scrap the cap!

Insult my hole. If a performer isn't up to scratch people are perfectly entitled to say so. Remember we are paying for this shyte whether we watch it or not!

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I was being ironic, but unfortunately I did working a lower-working class school and all the kids were doomed as far as the teachers were concerned. They were so doomed that they all did pass level subjects for the junior certificate, foundation level for maths and Irish, and the school just aimed them over to their PLC courses following the leaving certificate.

Anyway Tubs audience both in Radio and TV are down. 290,000 adult viewers for friday night. Maybe 200,000 watch it back on the player.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Debated whether I could be arsed this week TBH, given the ongoing and disproportionate neutering of the sister thread over on the Radio forum-but let's see how it goes...thread and show alike.

This Friday's show features a well deserved tribute to the late Vicky Phelan, a lady who could have quietly signed a NDA, and faded from view. She did not, and to her eternal credit, fought to the last to highlight her situation, and that of women the length and breadth of the country all the while eschewing, emphatically so, any praise or glory. What she did to advance the healthcare of women in this jurisdiction is incalculable. It is right and proper that the LLS should take the time to honour her memory and her campaign-but I sorely doubt (as did many other contributors this week) that the current host is capable of doing so with his oft trumpeted "kindness" or sincerity. Again, we'll see.

Her own words, however, speak volumes.

"I am here to tell you now, while I still can, that I don’t want your apologies. I don’t want your tributes. I don’t want your aide-decamp at my funeral. I don’t want your accolades or your broken promises. I want action. I want change.

I want accountability. And I want to see it happen while I am still alive, not after I am dead."

The Stunning will also feature-she was a fan by all accounts.

In other business, Eamo is on to put the politics back into sport, and show up Hobbidy's superficial knowledge of both.

"With the controversial Qatar World Cup kicking off on Sunday, former Ireland international Eamon Dunphy will tell Ryan Tubridy why he feels deeply uncomfortable about the upcoming tournament and why it’s time for football to take a stand."

Didn't they make a remake of the original Matilda movie just a couple of years ago?

"13-year-old Dubliner Alisha Weir will talk about how she swapped The Toy Show stage for the lead role opposite Emma Thompson, in the upcoming movie version of Roald Dahl's Matilda The Musical."

Jane Seymour who still carries a reasonable measure of celebrity clout, is on to plug a show-she is, somewhat unbelievably. 71 years of age.

"Two-time Golden Globe winner, Hollywood icon Jane Seymour will join Ryan live in studio to chat about what it takes to be a leading lady, her love of Ireland and what we can expect from Season 2 of TV dramedy Harry Wild."

Music by Sean Loughman aka. Jack Lukeman. I quite like him, was lucky enough to see him at an intimate gig earlier in the year and he was top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

It’s not in the best of taste to joke about “Hobbidy” and the Matilda movie for what will probably be a particularly somber and sober Late Late Show.

• Advertisement

I wasn't joking.

BTW, every late late is sombre and sober-was there any additional point or virtue signal you wanted to impart this evening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

So by her request, Vicky had a private funeral yesterday, which makes it particularly voyeuristic that you just know there'll be a significant segment on her tonight. Tubridy no doubt licking his lips at the pending sadness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Anybody appearing on it should hang their heads in shame for going against her wishes!

Anybody taking part is hawking something, great woman and I admire and respect everything she did for the cause but let’s be real this is for ratings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,103 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Evening all.

No kittehs and puppehs this week.

RIP Vicky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Small piece - with photos would have done. We can't have shows like this every time someone passes away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Just odd this. The poor woman is dead. She was very openly and intentionally public the past few years, but requested a private funeral, and here on a Friday night has a tv show dedicated to her.

'Heads Are Gonna Roll' - great song ☺️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,393 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Has everybody left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Will they still be clapping when we come back after the break?

• Advertisement

Standing ovations have to be spontaneous Ryan, you don't ASK the audience to do it - clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Especially when the person in question didn't want anything like this. She went public for very practical reasons, not because she wanted fame. The private funeral should have been a strong enough hint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

To most people it would. But Tubs is a cabbage.

I do get the TV is different to the actual funeral - So I would give that a pass. Issues has been well covered for years - is on radio - news. It is Friday night - show it does enough dark topics - can't have a wake for every famous person that dies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭standardg60

A great woman, was a lovely tribute at the start, should have left it at that.

You can't help but feel though that somebody somewhere compiling the show thought we'll make a good half hour out of this

Second mention of the toy show, fast becoming the sole raison d'etre of the LLS

But, but...she was Ryan's FRIEND (just like Charlie Bird).

He has told us that many many times (particularly since Vicky appeared on the show to announce she had entered palliative care, and CB was on to tell us he'd be lucky if he had another year in him).

(Disclaimer: this post is no way meant to denigrate the two people mentioned-if anything it calls out the courage inherent in their very public campaigning and discourse)

Got to love this crazy show too - straight to a girl singing when she should be in bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Re the mentions of the Toy Show, as a product/brand it is now commercially bigger that the LLS itself. It's a massive revenue earner for RTE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭sully123

Awesome performance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,393 ✭✭✭CH3OH

That was awkward!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement