Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inflation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Time will tell if I made the right decision but I've just locked in my mortgage for the next 10 years at 3.3%. I think low interest rates are gone for a good while (5+ years) and I'd rather the security of knowing how much I will be paying for the next 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭sporina

Price of shower gel gone way up - why so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

12 years ago we fixed our mortgage for 10 years at 4.85%! The gamble didn't pay off for us as rates fell well below that. At the time we fixed there was talk of rates going up. We currently have our mortgage fixed af 2.35% for the next almost 5 years. Mortgage will be paid for in 6 so happy with that rate. I'd say your rate will be a bargain in a few months. Would agree that low rates are gone for a while so I'd say your on to a winner. But the security is also worth considering. You've nothing to worry about (re rate rises) for the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Easy for retailers to increase price of it when everything else going up too

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

I noticed that too, I must have a look at mr price, it's usually a bit cheaper in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

There is alot jumping on the bandwagon of increasing prices for the sakes if it. Leave it on the shelf and seek out a cheaper retailer.

Things are not gone full communist yet where consumers queue for goods.

yes and Dealz (if you have one near you) - or any of the Euro saver type stores..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Its pretty much always on offer once you’ve no brand loyalty. That’s what I do plus the own brand ones are fine too

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭crayon80

I looked on argos today to get a kettle. The last time i got one (admittedly about 18/20 mths ago) it was €9 odd for the cheapest basic cookworks one. Now same one is €18. 100% increase. Other small electronic appliances have gone way up too. They can't possibly justify doubling the price in a year and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

You get one for around 15 on Amazon. I don't think Argos will be around for long more, they gone really expensive too.

• Advertisement

price of some of my usual groceries were up today in Tesco eg: grapes - usually 1.99.. now 2.39.. sweet chilli sauce - usually 2.99.. now 3.49.. ekk

scary times

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭crayon80

I know it's not in the spirit of this thread but sweet chilli sauce is €1.37 on the lidl app this week and €2.39 regular price. 700ml bottle.

Interesting stats todayon the 2023 economic forecast https://economy-finance.ec.europa.eu/economic-surveillance-eu-economies/ireland/economic-forecast-ireland_en#:~:text=The%20latest%20macroeconomic%20forecast%20for,and%20uncertainty%20weighing%20on%20investment.

Rate of inflation 6% 2023 and 2.8% 2024. Only a forecast, but forecasting light at the end of the tunnel.

Unemployment 4.3% in Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

You may not exactly understand what sustainable living actually means.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cityboyjim

Time someone tells ye what it was like back in the day in Ireland .Im neary 80 now and grew up in different times .Rural Ireland 40 acres and ten more from the land commision .I reared six kids and all done grand .Wife was the homemaker and I was the farmer .Ten hour days and late nights at certain times .Sure it was hard to make Sunday night closing sometimes .It was 10 on a Sunday .Strange thing is I could go down to the local every night for five or six pints .One income family .Small farm .My youngsters are all married now and go to the local once a week or a few of them dont go atall.Sowed a bit of a garden and herself helped me.Killed a pig every year .No farmers grants either .Guards came for the dog licence and the tea and the gun licence .The neighbour ofton pulled on the road for an hour for an ould chat .Dances every weekend in the local hall.Sure there was no rain and the hay always got saved and the turf always in the shed .Grand relaxing way to live .Ye youngsters made it hard on yerselves .Local shops bought the eggs .Rambling a bit but id hate to be a young lad now .

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭b v

…..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

You were very fortunate to get that farm though even if it was a small farm and all it was better than nothing.

Many got nothing and had to eke out a living overseas. Maybe you had siblings that had to do that?

So plenty of youngsters these days actually have it better than your time.

Maybr the farmers are better off now, I agree with that.

Five or six pints a night, those were different times alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I do the odd trip north too combining with visiting family near the border and it is worth stocking up on certain items, usually go to Asda. If you only shopped in somewhere like super valu down here you’d be spending a fortune on just groceries

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Farming and food production now are largely near break even or loss at worst in most of the world.

People are addicted to cheap food, remember that the subsidies are about making up for that.

Milk and to a lesser degree tillage are providing good living in Europe, everything else is dying.

If food prices ever reflect production costs increases then there would be mayhem in society, never mind going so far as to pay most farmers something below minimum wage.

The food market is a horror for producer and many customers alike.

Given the land quality and climate, Western Europe is the food basket of the world, yields than Africa and Asia can only marvel at and that is with them using fertilizer at insane rates to make up for farming on extremely poor quality soil . No one gives a hoot though. Where will European food be replaced from?

Food production in Europe is dying on its feet and the plan is to get it from North Africa, Russia, Brazil. Where health standard, workers rights, animal care standards, environmental standards are non existent.

People think food inflation is moderating, it's only starting.

The man above reared 6 off 50 acres.

It wouldn't support a single person for a few months, if it wasn't good dry land it might not even cover it's own costs.

That's what happens after near 25 years of Agri produce being below inflation or often falling at times of high inflation, like now.

Post edited by Danzy on

And yet many farmers in Ireland have never been better off. They can also get part time jobs and their land is worth a fortune. If they can't make it work sell it to another for a handsome price.

Suffice to say inheriting a farm is not a hardship but a gift.

1 acre now worth 12,000 Euro.

Lot of farmers would disagree with you on that, where do you farm though I suspect you do not given your rose tinted spectacles.

Farming is what you do in the evening and weekend after your day Job.

The income standard and living standard for most farmers was higher 25 years ago.

It's not just about Ireland though it is an industry being run in to the ground across all of Europe, North America and the rest of the world.

Food security is even Less important than energy security to Europe.

For right or wrong people have to eat.

When you look at farming in Asia, the level of fertilizer that goes out per acre, ground can't sustain that and especially the poor soils of most of Asia and the yields they get aren't much to look at on top of it all, they are still going backwards in income and killing themselves at incredible levels.

The price of rice and wheat are near the same as 2011.

Off farm jobs pay for land and land is rare to come up. Dairy farmers have the firepower all right, business people and professionals are also piling in to land.

Post edited by Danzy on

• Advertisement

Disagree with what? Many farmers are doing well in Ireland and inheriting a farm is very fortunate, most folks don't inherit anything.

People showering less so shower gel needs to be more potent?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,890 ✭✭✭✭zell12

They come from China, cost of freight has skyrocketed, cost of inputs, global population growing, etc. Currys is €13

• Registered Users Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭Grueller

Actually the arse has fallen out of the cost of freight this last month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭893bet

dont waste your time explaining to someone with such a simplistic view…..get a part time job, sell it up.

They don’t and can’t understand as they have never experienced the hardship of drawing water to cattle (or cattle to water) as the water pipes in the shed are frozen.

They don’t understand most can’t sell due to the fact that the farm house you live in is surrounded by the farm and would require the house to be sold also.

And mostly they don’t understand that and payments to farmers are not farmers subsidies. But consumer subsidies. To make food affordable for the masses.

I honestly don't know what to say to you.

I wonder do you believe inflation even exists, I suspect not.

It speaks to a wider disconnect today for so many people regarding economics, business, the reality of self employment, the notion that things like food, energy, housing, security etc are all of long term importance.

Even 20 years ago, they were all considered important, now they are viewed with disdain and short termism.

If you think that it is sustainable that agriculture in nearly every country has not kept pace with inflation for most of 30 years, and seen deflation for most of the last 10 years, while input costs are up between 30 and 40% in the last 12 months alone.

Sounds like things are going great.

Post edited by Danzy on

You couldn't sell the farmland or lease it?

Not believable , I'm from a farming background myself.

Farmers moan a lot but the fact is there are plenty of subsidies, grants, milk prices are as high as ever and Farmers own a valuable asset that most were gifted. A hundred acre farm is easily worth a million euro.

Not exactly hardship is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Apart from milk all the other industries are absolutely dead or dieing at a rapid pace. Subsidies, I'd love to know where all these great money subsidies come from because I certainly don't see much from Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭techdiver

Yeah, I was thinking the same so I locked in for 10 years at 2.85%. I think, that at least in the medium term, interest rates will increase and stay high from some time. As you say yourself though, even if I'm wrong at least I have certainty about what I am paying for the remainder of my mortgage (I also reduced the term to 10 years). I can't see rates dropping so low that it will make it fell like a bad mistake anyway.

• Advertisement

My name is Danzy and I approve of this message.

A 10yr 2.85% man myself as of this year. (KBC).

Advertisement