Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Unlikely in the short term. Model Y price cut was probably aimed at stealing sales from the like from the EV6, Ioniq 5, ID.4 etc and it seems to be working. If Tesla could come up with a better method of taking in part exchanges they would sell even more.

The Model 3 doesn’t have such direct competition and is more of a niche market. I think you would be mad to buy a Model 3 currently when you can get a Y with better spec for the same money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Agree with the above use alright. The post seemed to single out Tesla users only using tow bars for bikes. But I’ve seen 100’s of cars using the tow bar bike system in Dublin on a vast array of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Unlikely. The Model 3 was never going to be the big seller for Tesla, the Model Y was. I remember Musk saying it was going to sell more units than all the other Teslas put together. The Model 3 is a bit of a strange one. Kind of a tester for Tesla to get into mass manufacturing. Get some stuff right, get some stuff wrong. Then when you are ready after doing this for a good few years, able make a car to perfection, for very little money, then overwhelm the world with it. Looks like that's what they are doing now. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla sell a million Model Y next year.

And if I had a Model 3, I would sell it quickly. Their unreal value retention / extremely low depreciation is coming to a rapid end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Is the Model 3 not the 3rd best selling car in the world this year, that's literally the definition of a big seller!

Reviews seem to suggest that the Model 3 is better than the Y in every way except for storage size and boot type. Better range, comfort, speed, efficiency, handling etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭TMY

Another reservation holder and Tesla fan here! RWD in MSM with black interior! Ordered last month after the pricing changes. The availability and future uncertainty of the grant meant it was finally time to replace the old banger. Have an EDD of Feb / March and can't wait.

When collection day comes around what will you be looking out for? The days of large panel gaps and poor paintwork are meant to be a thing of the past but a walkaround should do the trick and we can always refuse to accept the vehicle if we're not satisfied.

That said I find it a bit odd not knowing exactly what we're signing up for - things like

German Vs. Chinese built

AMD or Intel CPU's

BYD or Catl batteries (safer LiFePo batteries?) and impact on range (455km)

How good Tesla Vision is (no USS or radar)

Rumours around new Matrix headlights

With the exception of the safer batteries, I'm not sure if any of these will make a difference to me when collection day comes around. Is anyone holding out or would you consider any of these to be a dealbreaker?

When our kids were small the creche had a saying at mealtimes "you get what you get and you don't get upset"! Thats all well and good when it comes to fish fingers and chips, but this is a different kettle of fish as they say...

• Advertisement

@TMY - welcome to boards 😁

Both the 60kWh CATL pack and the 55kWh BYD blade pack are LiFePO4

Personally I don't really mind where the car is coming from, Germany or China. They are all the same now, all the new Model Y have the comfort suspension now. I would prefer the BYD battery as it is even safer and it's more efficient, but the car will have slightly less range. I would have a small preference for a German car as their paint shop is state of the art. That said, the paint on the Chinese cars is very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭TMY

Thanks unkel! Spent some time lurking in and around the ev threads and find the knowledge and experience here is great.

Where they're coming from probably shouldn't make much difference. Shanghai has experience so better build quality? As for the paint, let's see. Would love the new quicksilver or Cherry red colours from Germany. Maybe in the future:-)

I didn't know Catl used LiFePO4! Thought it was just the BYD packs. That's great news. LiFePO4 is reported to enjoy a higher cycle count, can be charged to 100% without suffering degradation and is generally safer. For me at least I'd prefer one over other chemistries. Will we have any choice, unlikely so not sure if it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

Has anyone changed from a LR model 3 to the SR Y? I've put an order in for the Y and will sell/trade in the 3 but worried the Y feel sluggish after the 3?

Do they have the SR Y on test drive?

Yes the CATL packs are in the current Model 3 here in Ireland since about early last year. LiFePO4 is a great chemistry, huge cycle life and very safe. All my home made batteries are LiFePO4 now too, even my eBike battery, although it's a bit heavy 😁

There are no SR Y in RHD yet. So no. If you want to test drive one, you could try do so in Germany / Netherlands though 😁

I can imagine it will feel a lot slower than the AWD Model 3 you have. The punch / traction simply won't be there. But it's not going to be slow anyway, what's the official figure 0-100km/h in 6.9s?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

Yeh 6.9 so about 2 seconds slower. I think UK have a batch coming in the next 2-3 weeks, seems there are RWD Ys as part of that. Seems to be a lot in inventory in the UK at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Bit the bullet and ordered an SR Y in MSM and black interior. Will add tow-hitch post-sale I reckon.

Head over heart on the choice of interior - preferred to get MSM more than get white interior, although I do like it. With 3 dogs and working with all-weather sports equipment on a daily basis I just know that white interior is not going to last well with my usage profile - even with regular attention.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I have a 221 3 in MSM and speculatively ordered a white Y, went with Y because of multicoat. I'll wait and see on battery buffer and real world range before deciding to go with it or not. For me Range is King, I haven't had to publically charge in a few years and not taking a bit hit on range...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

You’ll take a hit on the new Y RWD.

YT videos appear to show 330-360km range.

..there's no MiC on the streets yet so wee bit longer to wait and see, 2023 US are on the street alright but different batteries there

I can see Tesla pausing Berlin to move battery packs to the US to take advantage of the tax credits there next year

But 2023 spec? No sensors, deeper back seats etc?

No 2023 spec yet. But the same battery is in the 2023 car.

The current crop of RHD RWD MY’s are in Australia with the 60 kWh LFP pack.

USA are currently delivering the 23 spec cars now with owners getting them over the last week but I’m not sure on battery type as they won’t be really buying the RWD over there, minimum LR for them.

If you're in California a RWD is grand, YT Ryan was pointing out 43 free stalls at their 45 stall Tesla V3 hub on one of his latest uploads. Cal is plastered in SuC

• Advertisement

2023 MY delivered in US today

No USS.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

this weekend I’ve spotted 4 Y’s in cork. Up to that point I had not seen any bar the car I test drove a week ago…. I think they were all MSM inc test car. Then today I saw a white Y parked in Mahon point. Stunning from the rear anyway. The white really contrasts well with the black wheels, windows and sunroof.

very similar to the way that the vw r-line Tiguan in white really works. I had been wondering if I’m making the right decision but that’s really confirmed it now.

at what stage do we get a more accurate delivery date? ;)

Delete

Once you get a vin or a text to arrange collection within the last month.

I think it will be earlier rather than later for MY deliveries to Ireland.

Also agree on the white. I have a white M3P. Ordered MY in MSM and then changed it back to white 🤣

Parked one I saw Stateside few weeks back

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

Had a short test drive at the weekend in Cork.

I didn't find the suspension overly stiff, car was on 19's.

The Gemini wheels are actually not as bad as I thought when you see them in person but will still change anyway

Thought the car was really quick with instant pickup at all speeds.

As loads have noted the view out the rear is really limited but that's what cameras are for.

First time driving a Tesla and I was highly impressed with it but it will take some getting used to the minimalist design.

Roll on Feb/Mar

Just bear in mind you drive the LR. What you have coming is the RWD so don’t expect the same handling characteristics or performance.

And it will have better suspension than the car you drove, @rodneytrotter15

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

Good to see you got sorted, as mentioned above will not have the same level of acceleration but its still going to be damn quick :)

If you are in cork also keep in touch and we compare notes when it comes to delivery / pre delivery time!

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

Advertisement