Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Midterms 2022 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

There's a ton of posters who can't go an hour without mentioning that guy. I'm not one of them. Nor was I.

Umm... when did 'was' start? When you joined this past May, or a previous incarnation? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Cody montana

More rumblings about the house staying democrat.

Hard to believe.

In many respects that's a double-edged sword.

It puts added pressure on Biden to actually deliver on policy, and the challenges that currently face the United States. He could not hide behind the excuse of a bipartisan roadblock in Congress. And if Biden doesn't deliver, it gives that added opportunity to the Republicans heading into 2024.

Can a man who recently confused Cambodia with Colombia resolve the serious challenges in the United States at present?

More and more people are coming to the conclusion that the answer to that question is a resounding no.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

How many bills are waiting to be heard in the Senate but were blocked for the last two years by mitch McConnell with the threat of the filibuster? Having control of the house and Senate can only mean so much when it comes to actually effecting legislation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I must be a contrarian then. Similarly, with negative adverts, I ignore the unsolicited content and put it as a mark against the candidate who funds it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭coolbeans

“Biden is the first Dem president since FDR in 1934 to have a net gain of governorships.”

But sleepy joe or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭coolbeans

This'll probably trigger a few but if you've read the Muller report it should be remembered that Russia was batting for Trump throughout the 2016 election. This seems to have been forgotten. No collusion was proven but I wonder if he could have won without their support? Regardless, hopefully this is the end of the last six years of crazy and bone fide conservatives will return to temper the excesses of some of the more illiberal liberals.

There's some important things you miss, like collusion isn't a crime but treason is, and Mueller left it up to the (GOP) congress to charge TFG, which they didn't.

The last 2 years in terms of effective Washington government haven't been crazy. The last 6 years in TFG land are crazy and still are (ffs, 2 years post election and TFG is still going on about it.)

Need proof? Here's a really simple thread on 100+ achievements of the Biden administration, without a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate. Of course, not everything on this list involves Congress (like, killing Al-Zawahiri)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,413 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Of the people DeSantis left florida to campaign for — how many actually won?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Not to poo poo your article but the vast majority of those "achievements " are : handed out tax payers money.

Maybe that's all that any president does but that's what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭briany

Trump may not have won without Russia's support, but especially in this day and age, it shouldn't come as a surprise that foreign interests both public and private will attempt to influence other countries' electorates to further their own agenda. I think even in the 2018 abortion referendum here, there were reports of money being pumped into the No campaign from lobbyist groups stateside. It's not really news that Russia was attempting to influence US's 2016 general by disseminating much information unflattering to the Democrats and Hilary, especially - someone who Putin was very keen not to see take the office of president. If the U.S. sees any ins to spread information which could topple the current Iranian administration in an election, they'd likely take that opportunity as well. That's not to say that the U.S. is exactly as bad as Russia, as I believe Russia to be a terribly authoritarian state whose model should not be followed by any western country, but it is to say that countries, especially the larger powers are going to try and further their spheres of influence where they can, and its de facto tolerated as part of the 'great game' - certainly where it's a case of 'soft influence', i.e. spreading of certain information to influence an electorate, but much less where it's 'hard influence', i.e. hacking voting machines or backing armed rebels, or assassinations.

But it wasn't out of any great love of Joe Biden (lowest approval rating for a US president heading into a midterms).

You can thank Donald Trump and his anti-democratic rhetoric, as well as the illegalisation of abortion. Not Biden. Definitely not Biden.

We'll find out in 2024 how many of the same people actively support Biden with vim and vigour.

Eh. The ones that spent money, are spending taxpayer dollars. Various achievements like "appointed judges/gun safety legislation/minimum corporate tax" aren't spending money. Presidents do way more than spend money.

Feel free to count the numbers but I don't think 'vast majority' is accurate. The vast majority of 'spent money on X' indeed spent money. But its nonsense to say all that was done by the current administration is spend money.

Don't forget about Roe. When a ruby-red backwater like Kentucky loses an amendment to make getting an abortion impossible in KY, Roe matters. A lot. And if you consider Dobbs wasn't issued till the summer, the pro-choice advocates did not have huge time to get things on ballots and yet they did. By 2024, the ballots will be swarming with pro-choice amendments/regs/... nationwide. Roe really matters to American women, they vote and they donate.

CO-08 goes to the Dems and now they need just 1 more seat to hold the House. Holy ****.

Several seats still not called in California.

Sure, but you could always make that argument. It has been argued that the reason that Trump won in 2016 wasn't because of any great love of Trump but because Hilary failed to energise the Democrat base.

The problem for DeSantis, if he does run for president and clinches the nomination, is he's going to stay at least a bit Trumpian in order to keep that part of the Republican base on side while also attracting independent voters. Trump's election denialism lost in the midterms, but it's not as if it lost by double digits. The races were pretty close in most cases and DeSantis will need those people on side. The Republican party could get around this in a House campaign by telling individual candidates to distance themselves for Trump or cosy up where expedient. That strategy is not going to work so well for one man running for president in a general or else face running a positively schizophrenic campaign. This is the problem the Republicans face where its base is so polarised and they did it to themselves.

Nahh read down the thread. Still projections. I'd wait till tomorrow at the earliest. And Madge Taylor and Lauren Boobird both won, which stinks but it is what it is.

Trump proved that his policy base can win an election.

DeSantis can act as a receptacle for some popular Trumpian policies whilst also acting as the adult in the room. No necrotic talk of election denialism or any of that kind of conspiratorial nonsense.

If the Republicans can learn from these midterms, install DeSantis as the future of the GOP, and bring their language back into the realm of moderation, then I don't see why they cannot win in 2024.

I still think Trump will not announce his candidacy next Tuesday.

• Advertisement

So a few days ago you claimed it’s Biden’s fault democrats were going to get annihilated due to a culture war.

And it was due to trumps policies.

But the opposite happened, and it’s Trumps fault.

Yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭francois

The evidence suggested that the Democrats were going to be annihilated. Historical precedent alone suggested the same. Had the red wave transpired, then yes, the result would have been due to the incompetence of Joe Biden and his historically low approval rating at this phase of the political cycle.

However, the polls turned out to be wrong. Though people were - and are - upset with Biden (see his approval rating), far greater factors seem to have preoccupied US voters. Abortion, and Trump's rhetoric, to name just two. This is the reality of what happened.

It doesn't mean that Joe Biden is suddenly popular. It doesn't mean that Woke is endorsed en masse. It just means that US voters had a set of priorities in this election. In 2024 at the General Election, that set of priorities will change. Biden is likely to suffer, and suffer badly. Especially if DeSantis makes it through and not Donald Trump.

Your posts lack nuance. That's because you seem unwilling to admit that at least some of your position may be inaccurate. That's the same kind of lack of nuance that characterised many of the positions of Mr Trump by the way, ironically.

DeSantis can't be 'installed' as the future of the GOP without the requisite grassroots support. He can do one of two things, as I see it - 1. He can attempt to forge a coalition of moderate Republicans and independents, thereby cutting the Trump base out of the equation entirely, but that will require him significantly moderating his stance on a variety of issues, or he can cosy up to Trump in order to keep that base on side and hope that his very novelty as a candidate who is not Trump means the vote against him is not mobilised.

And that's all assuming that he can overcome Trump in a primary. If Trump senses that the Republican party is fixing to try and abandon him, he will go ham on the party and he has the numbers to cause the party serious problems.

The comments are both refreshing and hydrating.

Let's assume that Trump will act in that manner.

The choice for the GOP is either to muscle your way through his attempt at destroying the Republicans, or to allow Trump to run again - lose, and he definitely would lose - and claim the election was stolen again. Leading to greater division, and worse prospects for the GOP thereafter.

Faced with two thoroughly undesirable options, I'd rather the GOP opted for the former rather than the latter.

You are the one that main that claim, not me.

You turned out to be wrong too.

Or the polls are again wrong

I’d suggest that fewer people approve of the Job Biden has actually done under filibusters etc, than they do support Joe Biden being the president or Democrats holding control of Congress post Jan 6 or whatever. Very little nuance in polling.

If we start assuming that all polling is false, we're left with a belief system without evidence.

I know belief systems without evidence have become pretty popular these days, but I'll stick with the polling - under the assumption that they will alter the way they conduct polling going forward.

There was plenty of polling that turned out to be right. For example: Ron DeSantis in the midterms and his success.

So let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Sparko

Do the same people who got the polls so wrong also determine the president's approval rate?

Advertisement