Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭kaymin

^^^^ most of this is wrong or n/a - As an employer, if you no longer need someone in a particular job you may be entitled to make a redundancy. This could be because your organisation is closing or becoming smaller or because you have less work available. You should be able to show that the job in question will no longer exist in order for a redundancy to be genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Ha no it’s not, all very accurate been involved in a few redundancies at this stage, only applies to people who have more than a years service it has to be said.

If you are making a redundancy it’s the position not the person that’s redundant, so you can’t drop a software engineer and hire another one, if you make the job redundant the job is gone, and restrictions on rehiring apply.

to your point it’s essentially about jobs no longer existing and that’s fair enough that’s a reason for redundancy, but there has to be a months consultation,he hadn’t done that and it’s debatable as to whether the jobs are required or not it seems a bit scattergun, he’s absolutely open to unfair dismissals across the board, he didn’t follow procedure.

Post edited by The Spider on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I agree. However, at this stage it's a choice between one's knowing that they will never own a house or praying for a crash and hoping the one is not among those who face financial ruin. It's not a good place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Even in the worst of times 80%+ will still have a job.

I know loads of people who were first time buyers after the last crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭OEP

I believe they are following the proper procedures, just because Musk says something - it doesn't mean that's what is happening behind the scenes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It was very hard to get credit after the last crash. That's what limits people's ability to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

I know a few people in there, a shitshow by all accounts, and it’s pretty much what you think happened, happened.

No consultation period, people locked out of their computers randomly picked people, all the head guys quitting.

no two ways about it he tried the American way here, there’ll be unfair dismissal claims all over the place because the payoff is terrible, gardening leave for three months (a lot of people have three month notice periods anyway this would be pretty standard) and then just two months salary.

a lot will go for unfair dismissals claims, like I say normally a company looks for voluntary redundancy or to go for the ‘package’ because it makes it easier, much harder to argue unfair dismissal if you put up your hand to get the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Put a bid in admittedly a fair bit under the asking, got told this was an "insult". I pointed out it had been on the market for months with no offers but this didn't matter because "we'll get there". I was preparing another vastly improved bid but eventually got told to offer the asking or extremely close to it or basically fúck off. No softening according to this estate agent anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

One swallow doesn't make a summer. One thick vendor soesn't make a market. What I notice is that Bidx1 has an enormous number of properties listed as "available". That indicates they properties failed to meet the reserve at auction. I haven't seen anything like this number of "availables" after a Bidx1 auction before. There used to be just a sprinkling, now there seem to be pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

A couple of years ago I was living in England, after a years there I moved home and brought my car home, which I had paid about £4000 for in around 2014.

I vrtd it and drove it for about a year but I didn’t really need it and the tax was nearly €700 so decided to get rid of it and get something cheaper to run.

I put it up on done deal for €3500 for a quick sale - I knew it was worth around €4000 but I wanted to get rid of it quick. The ad sat on donedeal for about a month with no calls or texts.

I knew the car was worth €4000 and the pictures were good - there was no issue with the ad.

The sellers you mentioned are here.

They know the house is worth €x even though not a single person wants to buy it at that price.

The next stage in my car selling journey was when I dropped the price to €3000 (with no interest) and then a few weeks later to €2500 (with no interest) and then €2000 when it finally sold.

The estate agent will be learning a bit more about insults over the next few months.

• Advertisement

An aunt of mine has had a ruin of a house in the West on the market for nearly 18 months at this stage. The house needs at least 100k of work to make it livable, but she has it on the market for the price of what a perfectly good house in the same town would sell for. Some people are just delusional as to what they can sell something for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The house next door which is admittedly in worse nick sold for 900 after going sale agreed back in June. They appear to be extremely hung up on that, and not the fact they've had little to no interest in months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Allinall

It all depends on who is selling and why.

If it’s an investor cashing out, they will wait for the right price or just not sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

In a falling market, the right time to sell is immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

I placed a bid on a property about 2 months ago, above asking price. Others submitted bids and a bidding war began.

I kept an eye on the online platform and it went sale agreed. A couple of weeks later the sale agreed price had dropped quite a bit, I imagine the highest bidder pulled out.

Now it’s back up for sale again.

Interesting, whether people are finding they can’t get finance or are backing away to see what the market will do…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Allinall

Not true.

in a falling market it can often be better to hold, rather than sell.

Don’t forget, the rental market isn’t falling.

Bidding wars are not born from reason. I've seen a few of them start on houses that I've looked at, but I never got involved. The worst that I personally saw came from that benighted entity known as Auctionera. A house across the road from my mother (Dublin 5) went sale agreed at about 150k over its original asking price of 500k. It's now back on the market with another estate agent for 500k again.

I think that these fall through because the "winners" of these particular rat races come off the highs of adrenaline and realise that paying that much over the odds for something is perhaps not the wisest thing to do.

In my opinion, there needs to be some sort of regulation to prevent these bidding wars. If they want bids, an auction is always an option, but just taking "bids" from someone who may not even have the finance to follow up on the offer is simply a despicable way to do business.

The property I was talking about was actually with Auctioneera.

I think there’s a lot of problems with online platforms. Agents say it’s to streamline the process but it also changes the process for the bidder. It becomes almost like a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I am getting ready to put an offer on a house in tomorrow just like you did and I am prepared to be rejected. But honestly, I know that is what is worth in the current market and won't budge. It won't be this one, another one will come. Plenty of fish in the sea.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭herbalplants

You are wrong, Auctioneera vets the bidders, they are required to lodge documents in order to open an account and bid.

It is true something went wrong after, possible.

Living the life

• Advertisement

I’m registered with pretty much all of the online bidding platforms and while you’re partially correct, all of the platforms typically only need proof of address/ID and a copy of your mortgage approval. You do not need to include documentation on money you are being gifted etc, so it’s very light vetting. They’ve no idea whether or not you have the full finance in place.

Well then they have changed since last I used the platform. All that I had to do was upload a AIP document with blanked out figures, and I was granted the ability to bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

From personal experience of dealing with that crowd the word cowboys would be a component 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

The sale of my last rented house fell through because the highest bidder hadn't even gotten mortgage approval. Waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I put a house for sale in a nice part of cork city in July.

Went sale agreed within a month for 15k above asking. I accepted as buyer was a cash buyer.

Bought for 175 in 2002 and sold for 340.

Still took 3 months to close it out, solicitors live in a different world.

Wife also sold family home with her sisters. That went a bit nuts; listed at 300k and went for 55k more. Very modest bungalow where we lived for last 5 years, but in a nice area of a large prosperous town even if pretty rough ☺️

We did up the garage, for small money for a yoga studio. That seemed to drive things with lots of people valuing the extra space.

I still don't know if selling was the right option for Cork house but market wasn't exactly hot in terms of bidding and I've no insight on where market is going but rising interest rates with energy uncertainty have to be a damper

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

I've put in a bid on Auctioneera and all they asked for was an email address.

I did a viewing with them in 2021. The agent who set up the view misspelled the name of the area in the email and called me "Michael" when I arrived at the appointed time (not my name). When I asked him questions regarding the property and the area, he was unable to tell me anything. IT's a charlatan organisation that is bad for buyers and sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

A bit late coming to this but I know personally young people who have left the dysfunctional nowhere to rent Ireland this year for plenty of supply, compared to Ireland, in the UK and Australia.

Unless you are in need of somewhere to stay, Ireland is a very unique property market. The 70% or so adequately housed continue to not appreciate this very unique set of circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

What is it that you think is unique about the Irish property market?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭wassie

Would agree with you, but your comments only relate to the rental market. Latest IT article reports on how bad it is in Dublin.

But in terms of house sales, starting to see consistant price changes in the order of 5-8% downwards. Also houses being listed and not getting any offers, but owners still holding out and refusing to entertain bids under asking - only lasts so long before a property becomes 'stale' as we move away from a sellers market.

EAs are finally having to do some work if they want to get sales and 'motivate' their vendors and actually follow up with prospective buyers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement