Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Blut2

The only even partial solution I can see is a need to implement different maximum weights for each position. I know rugby is meant to be inclusive of all body types but a huge amount of the injury problems over the last 20 years have come about because of players getting so much bigger, stronger and faster. When top level players are 15-20KG of muscle heavier on average than they were in 1995 it adds so much additional force to all impacts.

As a bonus for fans we'd probably get more small electric Shane Williams type players playing that way too, who otherwise really struggle to get gametime these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭ersatz

I've been thinking about this a bit as one of my kids is a decent player and absolutely loves playing rugby. He's almost 16 and fairly tall but not particularly big, he doesn't take supplements and isn't consciously trying to bulk up, though a lot of the kids he plays against are huge. There is a fairly decent Polynesian population where we are and those lads come in large sizes but even if that's particular to our area (northern California) it's the case that even among youth players there really is no comparison to the fitness levels, strength training, speed, bulk, etc of kids compared to when I played and before the game became pro at the elite level. My fella has been doing dozens of pull-ups since he was 11 or 12. I do some coaching and by the time these kids reach 16 or 17 they are closer to what pro athletes were 25 years ago than anything approaching youth payers in those days. I think the same applies in GAA (say minor county level) soccer, American football, etc.

All by way of saying it's very hard to put that genie back in the bottle. Many of these kids are total squares, don't drink or piss about at all and go to the gym several times a week. It's insane. Add to that the amount pf supplements they take on (and god knows what else) and you have, at the high school and college level, athletes who are as close to pros as it's possible to be without being a pro. You can bring in weight classes or whatever but it's no guarantee of anything, a 13 stone speedster gym bunny will do more damage than a 15 stone plodder in the front row.

I occasionally go to college games around here. You'll see the top teams (Cal, Life, BYU, a couple from Canada) and the players are just phenomenally fit across the board, also packing power. I'm not sure what the level is for comparison sake but the best players would probably compete in the AIL, though you'll see a few who make the pro league here and onto the US team. The average is fairly standard sub pro level but in the same way as above, the difference between these guys and their equivalents 20 or 30 years ago is night and day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I’m 6ft and 80 kg, when I started playing in the late 90’s I was a bigger than average full back, when I walked off the pitch for the last time in 2021, I was one of the smaller lads on the team!

Nigel Owens has been saying it for years but the only way to effectively reduce the size of players is by reducing the number of subs to 5 or even 3! Props these days, and to an extent backrows are built to raise hell for 50 mins to an hour and no more!

If 6 of the pack were guaranteed to be playing 80 mins every week the average size of those lads would have to reduce just from a conditioning standpoint alone! Same applies to backs too!

I've heard this suggested but if you look at some performances you'll see a lot of front rowers doing 80 minutes and scrum halves being subbed on 60. Hookers seem to have gotten leaner and meaner in the last decade, and some front rowers, big as they are are just insanely fast and fit. Guys like Sheehan, Kelleher and Porter can easily go 80, never mind some of the English players. Even Vinupola has played the full 80 oil a number of occasions. I agree it's a different prospect to have fresh monsters sprinting on at 60 to bring the pain and that should be stopped but I'm not fully convinced that guys will get smaller for having to play 80, anymore than they've already got leaner so as to stay relevant in open play.

This is all true - sports science, training regimes, and even just mental dedication to training and lifestyle have advanced by leaps and bounds. And when success is the only real desired outcome every player is going to maximise every physical attribute they can.

But if rugby had weight classes of say, very roughly, 80KG for a back, 90KG backrow, 100KG secondrow / front row - it would make a huge difference. Players would have to consciously keep a certain amount of muscle off to make their weight class.

In a real world context for example - Bundee Aki plays at 100KG at center for Ireland currently, de Allende for the Boks at 105KG also at center. Remove 45KG of combined weight from them, and a substantial amount of muscle driven force, and it would change things hugely for the better in terms of injury outcomes from every hit between those two in an Ireland vs South Africa game. And you could replicate that effect across every player on the teams.

Theres nothing that says players have to play at these monstrous weights - they only do so because of the quite literal arms race to put on size and strength. 80KG at a pro athlete's low bodyfat % would still be a large, fit, man playing at center - and far more in line with the size people historically played the game at.

Its not an ideal solution by any means but its honestly the only thing I can think of that will let the game of rugby continue to exist in its current format. As things stand player safety is very much are not working. So they need to either change the rules to remove the hits (which would change the game hugely) or else reduce the impact force of the hits somehow - but one of the two is going to have to happen.

I agree that reducing subs won’t bring a return to 90/00’s weights per se, and there are many outliers like you say (Porter is regularly in my gym, and up close he is quite simply “a f**king UNIT”) but it’s a start and I do think the average size will reduce. You mention scrumhalves often go off at 60 these days, and funnily enough that’s another position that’s noticeably bigger in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I dont think putting in weight categories at the elite level will work or happen. The laws are constantly changing to remove the power and impact of hits but totally changing the weights would be madness. especially at the front five players size etc. That removes the 110kg plus men out of the game and can we really do that? Change laws etc but weight classes per position isnt right

Introduce in more countries weight graded competitions like they have at adult level in New Zealand with the under85kg competition if you want

People

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Not on Twitter. What's that about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

2 of Major League Rugby (US pro league) teams have gone bust.

The US pro league seem to provide accommodation to players as part of their contracts so they are losing their jobs and being evicted.

Debt collectors are going after the players despite the fact that players are owed months of salary.

Being an American sports league the players are being offered alternate contracts with other clubs via a draft. Once a team drafts you you have to take their offer or leave the league.

Given that most teams filled their roster they will be offering terrible offers to players who will have to take it or leave the country to continue their rugby career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

It's a lever that doesn't need to be pulled. Reducing substitutions, increasing ball-in-play time and even reducing the number of players on the pitch would all tip the bias towards cardiovascular fitness over size.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

You don’t have to be on Twitter to view posts.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's been an emphasis on cardiovascular fitness and size for some time. Most of the huge forwards you see can go 80 minutes if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

I know, but like I said there's other levers to pull. They can go for 80 minutes because they get plenty of time to recover every time the ball goes dead, and they have fourteen teammates to help cover the ground. Why not change that?

Maybe they could drop a couple of players, place less emphasis on the set piece as well. That might work on reducing the need for really big players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

That's a pity, awful situation for the players. The inability to sustain a league in the US continues to baffle. US and Canadian unions have to be some of the most incompetent shower going.

Thats the trade-off I was talking about. Either fundamental elements of the game have to start changing (number of players, set pieces etc like you mention, or else tackling/contact rules in a big way) or else the players themselves have to change (weight restrictions). Its going to be one of the two, because what we have now is too dangerous.

The smaller changes, like reducing the number of subs, would still have very large players playing. Plenty of 100KG+ players play full games these days already and manage just fine.

I was sarcastically pointing out that some of these suggestions were basically trying to turn the game into rugby league.

A more underdeveloped and maybe even more cynical system than England. The national union is very weak and the league is dominated by a couple of rich guys who hate each other. World Rugby are supporting this system blindly and stupidly imho, and it won't end well.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

New Zealand Npc final on at the moment.

Not good for Oli jager that he's benching for his club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Not sure whether to put it here or in the Gallagher premiership thread.

There are reports that Joe Launchbury is fielding offers as high as 60k per annum to sign with a premiership club.

He was previously on 400k per annum. Teams are trying to be very economical with their spending or have limited salary cap space.

i think this is coming from an offer made to him from a club that could only afford another 60K or they would be over the salary cap.

it would be 60K for the rest of this season only.

the blame for this sh!t show is firmly at the feet of wasps and worcester, and not those clubs left to pick up the pieces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The tackler deserves a very long ban for this awful tackle.

The referee needs to be stood down from officiating as well. It's a disgrace that he only gave this a yellow.

I assume the mitigation was the slight dip before contact. That’s a very poor decision, the tackle was absolutely reckless and he knew exactly what he was doing too.

I’ll play devils advocate and say the I nitial point of contact appears to be the tacklers bicep on the tackled players shoulder before sliding up to the head.

There were two yellows given yesterday (Mun v Uls & Sco v Aus) where both refs stated that the bicep making contact first and not the shoulder was the reason they were yellow and not red.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

This World Cup round robin with Portugal, Kenya, USA and Hong Kong - are the teams staying in Dubai for three weeks or flying in and out for each match? Seems like a massive expense either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

staying there. world rugby cover some of the costs. wouldnt make sense to fly in/out for some of them

• Advertisement

Yeah, just remembered the Kenyans would have been in France for a few weeks in the last round as well. Seriously long road for them to most likely not even make it to the finals.

Doesn’t surprise me one little bit. I’d have the general opinion that every international major sports governing body is corrupt to some degree, as well as major event organising committees.

I'm pretty sure the World Rugby Awards (incl Player of the Year) are awarded next Sunday week (Nov 20th) in Monte Carlo.

Surely Josh van der Flier is a lock for the World Player of the Year Award?

He was one of three nominees for Player of the Championship in the 6 Nations, won European Player of the Year for the European Cup (I know this is an international award but just points to the overall standard of his play), had an absolutely stellar summer series in New Zealand (where at least two media outlets named him Player of the Series), won the Irish Players' Player of the Year Award, and last week was MotM as Ireland beat the World Champions.

His main contenders are likely to be Antoine Dupont - Player of the 6 Nations, but took the summer off, Gregory Aldritt and possibly Lukhanyo Am.

It has to be Josh van der Flier.

@[Deleted User] there are a few pundits who think Ardie Savea is a lock for the award. The commentators during the Wales v ABs mentioned it a couple of times.

Would Du Pont be ruled out because he got a red card yesterday?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

It'd be hard to argue with Savea getting it, tbh, but I think the performances from Josh during the series win should have him just ahead imo.

I think Ardie Savea might be the best player in the world, but I think it would be hard to argue he's had a better season and a more impactful season than Van der Flier.

There were a few games when his team was playing like crap and he was the best player on the pitch. I think that's probably going to weigh more than being the best player on a team performing well, whether or not that's right.

I certainly wouldn't begrudge Savez the award.

If it comes down to their head to heads VDF takes it even though Savea was by far to strongest AB player in the series.

I think it will be between Savea, Du Pont and VDF and I couldn't begrudge any of them winning it. Personally I think Savea and Du Pont are slightly ahead of VDF.

VDF has been outstanding but not spectacular in a high performing side. By that I mean he does a lot of grunt work brilliantly. He tackles, he carries, he hits rucks, he jackals and that is so important but he doesn't tend to get the big turnover, the massive line break, the more eye catching stuff. A few other players in the Irish team do what VDF does as well, he does it at a higher level generally.

Du Pont is obviously a high profile player in a top team. He gets his hands on the ball a lot and so much of what France does brilliantly goes through him.

Savea does what VDF does but has that bit extra. Obviously he stood out even more due to how average the ABs have been this year. There were times that seemed to carry the whole team on his back. He was sorely missed in the 2nd test against Ireland.

• Advertisement

I actually thought by his standards and what he is capable of, that Dupont had a poor year this year.

Is there a shortlist even for WPOTY yet?

I think VDF deserves to be on the shortlist but I don't think he's going to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Shortlist announced tomorrow.

Apparently Sheehan and Hansen are shortlisted for breakthrough player of the year, per Sunday Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Sheehan made his debut in 2021, so can't be nominated.

Dunno how to tell ya this…. But he has been nominated 😝

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Shehal

I disagree about Dupont, he wasnt terrible or anything this year but I do feel he's being judged on reputation rather than how he played in 2022. Overall I do think he's the best player in the world but based on 2022 alone there are quite alot of players who I'd rate ahead of him, performance wise ofcourse, such as VDF,Savea, Alderitt, Am etc.

If I had to make a call I would say Savea, I do think while he has been incredible I think if you put him in the Irish or French sides this year he would be a shoe in for the award but due to how average NZL have been it might be enough for some voters to look else where for their winner.

• Advertisement

Savea again had a massive impact on the game yesterday, I think we can all agree it hasn't been a vintage year for NZ but it would have been considerably worse without him. Personally I'd go with Savea but would love to see VDF win it.

I see Savea didn't even make the shortlist!! Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Shehal

What I feared for Savea happened it seems, genuinely flabbergasted he wasn't even nominated!

Based on that list I would have to go for VDF for the award, Dupont like ive said early is probably getting in mostly on reputation and fact he has still very good this year but honestly I didnt even think he was France's best player never mind the best player in the world.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

I can understand Sexton, captaining us to a series win in NZ, but Am?! None of the Boks were good enough during the RC to warrant a nomination imo. Ridiculous that Savea isn't nominated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I think VDF will be a more than worthy winner. But his achievement would be even better if savea was on the list.

TBH down the years the awards have often gone to players (including kiwis) who weren’t the best that particular year and other players have missed out who had been in super form.

in a sea of AB mediocrity in 2022, Savea has been a beacon of top level consistency. Much like VDF except Ireland haven’t been mediocre.

• Advertisement
Advertisement