Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

My Father's Dragon (2022) A young boy leaves the city of Nevergreen and journeys to the mysterious Wild Island, where he finds ferocious beasts -- and the friendship of a lifetime.

from the guardian

'Here’s another little gem from Cartoon Saloon, the Irish animation studio that brought us Wolfwalkers, full of colourful action and bizarre but believable characters. Nora Twomey’s film, taken from Ruth Stiles Gannett’s 1948 children’s novel, sweeps young Elmer (voiced by Jacob Tremblay) from rural happiness to urban poverty to a fantastical floating island. There, he and a friendly but inept dragon, Boris (Stranger Things’ Gaten Matarazzo), have to somehow save the land from sinking while evading wild animals led by Ian McShane’s silverback gorilla'

Monica, O My Darling (2022) (Hindi) A slick robotics expert joins a murderous plot after a passionate affair takes a sudden turn, but nothing -- not even death -- is what it seems to be

Ancient Apocalypse season 1 (2022) Journalist Graham Hancock travels the globe hunting for evidence of mysterious, lost civilizations dating back to the last Ice Age.

Capturing the Killer Nurse (2022) This documentary reveals how investigators proved ICU nurse Charles Cullen was killing patients -- and how close he came to getting away with murder.

Is That Black Enough for You?!? (2022) Culture critic and historian Elvis Mitchell traces the evolution -- and revolution -- of Black cinema from its origins to the impactful films of the 1970s.

Down to Earth with Zac Efron season 2 (2020) Actor Zac Efron journeys around the world with wellness expert Darin Olien in a travel show that explores healthy, sustainable ways to live..

Added

Kampala Cycling Couriers (2020) This documentary follows the founders of one of the first bike messenger services in Uganda as it tries to build a sustainable business model.

and quite a few european docs as per usual on a saturday

added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Capturing the Killer Nurse (2022) This documentary reveals how investigators proved ICU nurse Charles Cullen was killing patients -- and how close he came to getting away with murder.

This Charles Cullen is the same one that's in the Netflix film "The Good Nurse", starring Jessica Chastain (which was a decent watch).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Watched August: Osage County last night.

How did I miss that being added?

Absolutely stunning film. Scenery and performances (from a star-studded cast) were top notch. The killer one-liners were hilarious also. Chris Cooper: magnificent performance.

Post edited by Choochtown on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

• Advertisement

Stutz (2022) In candid conversations with actor Jonah Hill, leading psychiatrist Phil Stutz explores his early life experiences and unique, visual model of therapy.

The Hidden Lives of Pets season 1 (2022) Bow wows and purr-fect pets! Meet amazing creatures from around the world and dig into the latest science on our animal friends' senses and skills.

Power Rangers Beast Morphers season 1 (2020) A new breed of secret agents must stop a ruthless computer virus and its minions from stealing the unlimited clean energy source that created them

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

Watching Kleo. Watched 6 episodes so far.

Great fun - best thing I've seen on Netflix in a long time.

Looks great, good script and excellent acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭delboy85

"Midsommar" is one of my favourite films of the past 5 years. Thought it was fantastic. Much better than "Hereditary" for me.

Run for the Money season 1 (2022) (Japanese) In a race with time, celebrity contestants desperately try to outmaneuver black-clad Hunters in pursuit, for a chance to win a growing cash prize..

Deon Cole: Charleen's Boy (2022) In an electric stand-up special, Deon Cole ponders romance, racist hotel showers, post-coital bedtime prayers and why he loves women of a certain age..

Jurassic World Camp Cretaceous: Hidden Adventure (2022) After a big storm, food is scarce -- and hungry dinos are everywhere. It's up to you to help the Camp Fam survive in this thrilling interactive special.

Johanna Nordström: Call the Police (2022) (Swedish) The comedian and podcast host sounds off on sexual escapades, TikTok police and how she became Sweden's pandemic poster girl.

If Anything Happens I Love You (2020) Short film . Grieving parents journey through an emotional void as they mourn the loss of a child in the aftermath of a tragic school shooting.

Added

Post edited by peteeeed on

The Wonder (2022) Starring Florence Pugh and based on the book by Emma Donoghue, writer of Room. The Wonder is the tale of a young Irish girl, Anna O’Donnell, whose Catholic family claim she has eaten nothing since her eleventh birthday…

Off Track (2022) (Swedish) In a fit of desperation, a down-and-out single mother suits up and attempts to ski Vasaloppet with her (not-so-perfect) perfectionist brother.

Mind Your Manners season 1 (2022) International etiquette teacher Sara Jane Ho helps people become their best selves through good manners in this heartwarming makeover series..

In Her Hands (2022) (Dari) As Western forces withdraw, Afghanistan's youngest female mayor braves mortal danger to lead a fight for education for the next generation of Afghans.

The Lost Lotteries (2022) (Thai) Five down-on-their-luck strangers must band together to steal back winning lottery tickets worth millions from a wicked mafia boss.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000) The Grinch decides to rob Whoville of Christmas -- but a dash of kindness from little Cindy Lou Who and her family may be enough to melt his heart..

Racionais MC's: From the Streets of São Paulo (2022) (Brazilian) Armed with music and a message, influential hip-hop group Racionais MC's turned their street poetry into a powerful movement in Brazil and beyond.

Gladiator (2000) Tapped for the throne after the death of the emperor, a Roman general instead finds himself condemned to die by the late ruler's power-hungry son

Get Out (2017) Chris is anxious about meeting his girlfriend Rose's parents, and his jitters prove justified as the get-together turns from uncomfortable to terrifying.

Girls Trip (2017) Four college friends go wild during a boozy reunion trip to the annual Essence Festival in New Orleans that tests the strength of their sisterhood..

One of Us Is Lying season 2 (2022) Detention brings together five disparate high schoolers, but a killing -- and secrets -- keep them together as a cat-and-mouse murder mystery unfolds

Added

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Wonder looks both really interesting, but also something that might be unrelentingly grim & dour at the same time. Might be something watched when I'm in the right frame of mind!

Also, Ron Howard's Grinch movie might make a list of one of the ugliest films ever made be a modern studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

1899 arrives tomorrow , think its 8 episodes

perfect timing for my covid incubation

few reviews coming in

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/1899/s01

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Didn't think much of The Wonder. Its an interesting set up but it just felt a bit hollow to me. I think there were much more interesting things to explore within the story than what they ended up focusing on. Pugh is good, as she always is, and Kíla Lord Cassidy is fantastic as the young girl, but the rest of the impressive cast get very little to do.

1899 season 1 (2022) On their journey across the vast and treacherous Atlantic Ocean, the passengers of the Kerberos encounter the biggest mystery of their lives. Welcome to 1899, a deeply immersive new series from the creators of Dark.

Making 1899 (2022) Go behind the scenes and see how the creators of "Dark" used groundbreaking virtual technology "The Volume" to shoot their new mystery series

Dead to Me season 3 (2022) A hotheaded widow searching for the hit-and-run driver who mowed down her husband befriends an eccentric optimist who isn't quite what she seems..Netflix’s darkly funny, moving, twisting thriller returns for its final chapter.

Christmas with You (2022) Seeking inspiration for a hit holiday song, a pop star grants a young fan's Christmas wish to meet her -- and finds a shot at true love along the way.

I Am Vanessa Guillen (2022) Vanessa Guillen was 20 years old when she was found murdered at a US Army base. Rather than submit to silence, her family fought for justice and change..

Pepsi, Where's My Jet? (2022) 4 Episodes When a 20-year-old attempts to win a fighter jet in a Pepsi sweepstakes, he sets the stage for a David versus Goliath court battle for the history books

Return to Christmas Creek (2018) When a Chicago app developer returns to her hometown to get inspired and reconnect with family, she finds love in the last place she expected it.

Bantú Mama (2021) (Spanish) After evading arrest for smuggling, a desperate woman finds shelter among a group of children, in the most dangerous neighborhood in Santo Domingo..

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh yes, the follow-up to Dark has big shoes to fill. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

Looking forward to starting 1899 today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

1899, just watched two episodes, dark and eerie as you like plus I haven't the faintest notion what's going on which is a great review from me, pretty much exactly how I felt at the start of Dark

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

I don’t know if I can put myself through this again !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Dark was fantastic, but I would need to watch it all again from start to have any idea what is happening in season 3. Although I remember the ending of it was great, it really wrapped up the overall story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Killer Sally. Really enjoyed it. Thats all I can say without going into spoiler. Give it a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭jj880

Second that. Great quick 3 episodes. Dont do steroids kids.

Watched the first episode and yeah, it's good stuff. No less weird and confusing (in a good way) than Dark was. Loved the old world setting of it all, lots of mysteries, human and supernatural.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Watched the first episode of 1899. Reminds me a bit of "The Terror". Same old world setting and mysterious carry on. Looking forward to watching the rest of it.

Slumberland (2022) Joined by a larger-than-life outlaw, a daring young orphan journeys through a land of dreams to find a precious pearl that will grant her greatest wish. https://www.metacritic.com/movie/slumberland

The Cuphead Show! Season 3 (2022) Follow the misadventures of the impulsive Cuphead and his easily swayed brother Mugman in this animated series based on the hit video game.

Inside Job part 2 (2022) [15] Lizard people? Real. The moon landing? Fake. Managing the world's conspiracies is a full-time job for an awkward genius and her dysfunctional co-workers.

Elite Season 6 (2022) (Spanish) When three working-class teens enroll in an exclusive private school in Spain, the clash between them and the wealthy students leads to murder.

Somebody Season 1 (2022) (Korean) When a software developer creates a dating app that a serial killer uses to find his next targets, she's drawn into a dark world of romance and murder..

The Violence Action (2022) (Japanese) She's just a regular, sweet-looking college student by day. But by night, she's a part-time assassin -- and she's about to face her toughest target yet.

Reign Supreme season 1 (2022) French) From the projects to the largest venues in Paris, this series follows two teenage friends for life as they forge the birth and rise of French hip-hop

Life in Outer Space (2015) This documentary examines the future Mars missions and explores recent findings that suggest the possibility of life in our solar system and beyond.

Euroestafa (2014) (Spanish) This documentary examines the monetary policies in Spain that existed before the euro, which led to an economic crisis and housing bubble there..

Here Comes the Sun: Minor Reflections in Sun and Sand Tourism (2021) (Spanish) Examine the birth and development of sun-and-beach tourism on the coast of Valencia, Spain, through sociological, urban, ecological and cultural lenses..

The Gourougou Trial (2021) This documentary follows two migrants and two human rights lawyers as they take on the Spanish authorities in a trial that tests Europe's core values..

The Good Detective season 2 (2022) (Korean) [New Episodes] When doubts arise about a five-year-old murder conviction, a veteran detective partners with a young hotshot to hunt down the case's hidden truths.

Added

Post edited by peteeeed on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I started Pepsi, Where's My Jet? last night and found it thoroughly enjoyable.

Feels like a subject matter that works nicely with Netflix's light hearted docu-series approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Watched first 2 episodes of 1899 last night. It’s very good. I saw someone on here compare it to ‘The Terror’ but I don’t see it. I gave up on Terror half way through, just found it too boring and story at that point was about a wild polar bear killing the crew. This 1899 so far is a real original mystery, it’s Dark at sea in the turn of the century, and seems to have bits of Lost creeping into it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Do you need to watch dark before 1889?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Lovely thanks

Advertisement