Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Wasn’t a lesson after the last World Cup that the 3rd choice Carty had never started for us before the game against Japan?

Jack Crowley is 23 in 2 months. He‘s physically developed enough for profesional rugby and looks like a good enough and confident enough to do as good of a job as Carbery has been turning in. Give him a chance. I think he’ll swim and we need options at 10 urgently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

On the same basis as elevating Frawley. Elevate the guys who flash potential.

I actually disagree with playing either of them over carberry but same deal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Fair, I was rather working off the assumption that Carbery was possible to start against Aus.

Sexton will likely come back in now, whether or not that was the original plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

France would appear to be getting a far higher degree of praise for beating the Boks than we did. Best team in the world, world champions in waiting, etc. And we had them a week earlier, when they had fewer injuries ,didn't have a man advantage for most of the game and were more comfortable against them.

The perception is definitely there that we're going to bomb at the world cup next year like we always do. I really really hope we can finally change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

Let's see how it goes against Australia but overall so far I couldn't be happier with this series of matches. The performance against SA was very good. Losing Murray and McCloskey, who had both been brilliant in defense, after half an hour at 3-3 might have been a bigg blow. A word for Murray, he covered a huge amount of ground in the passage after he got injured before play stopped. It was touchline to touchline for a lot of phases in real discomfort but he got to the rucks and made good passes every time.

The match was a battle and Ireland handled it well, South Africa's shooters destroyed our passing patterns in the first half but we looked very comfortable in broken and turnover play, that's happened over the last 2 years. Sexton wasn't allowed to dominate the game at all and we won the match because of that heads up facility. This SA team might have strangled us and they'll be better at it come the World Cup. Winning that match while seeing the areas that need improvement was a best possible outcome. Fiji game also very valuable in giving the wider squad a game which showed that while we have good players our depth isn't where it needs to be in terms of performance. I really liked Farrell going a bit Keano on the players afterwards ('some lads won't be happy'), it really wasn't good enough and it raised real question about our depth in onfield leadership. And for Similar reasons Ireland A getting a shellacking from the excellent kiwis was a useful experience for the wider squad.

So everyone talking up France instead of Ireland suits us because the team's mindset needs to be focussed on continuing to improve and build on what's working and fix the stuff that isn't. Ireland aren't the finished article because SA, France and to a lesser extent the ABs, have shown how to beat us. It's more than just refining and fine tuning a system, which is where we were going into the 6N before the last world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Same thing happened last year with the wins over NZ. Until we win some tournaments, we're still going to be dismissed somewhat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The experience gleaned for some of the lads will be invaluable. I think that was Timoneys 1st start? So he's been involved for a while now and he knows the systems. I wouldn't be bothered at all if he got game time in the 6nations. Same goes for Casey! I'd like to give him a run out this week. He needs the minutes and experience. These 2 are in no way world class but, they can raise their games with opportunities. Ithink Loughman gets into the squad this week. He is becoming a very good player. Deegan too could play this week, a start for him would be ideal to see where he's at.

This week there was Lougjman, Ringrose, Carberry and Timoney all who played u20's for Ireland in 2015. I mention this as I think that years squad was fairly meh. That's good output for a u20 side!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Ruaidhri O'Connor reporting that Sexton and Carbery are both injury doubts for this weekend, along with JVDF, Porter, Keenan, Ryan, Henshaw and JOB.

Could be a big game for Crowley!

Also shows the cost of a match v the Springboks...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Ehhh, wow. That's too many losses for us to cope with imo, though having said that who knows what Aus will show up.

I think the Aussies will be formidable. They rotated heavily against Italy, so their first choice team will be relatively fresh and stinging from the criticism from this weekend.

Are we adding players to the squad?

Will be interesting to see who gets the call to come in as the next out half if it is the case that all of Sexton, Carbery and Frawley are hurt. Will we see one of Ross Byrne, Jack Carty or Billy Burns backing up Jack Crowley?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Also shows the cost of a match v the Springboks...

Carbery and JOB got head injuries against Fiji, Henshaw didn't even play against SA. Vdf and Keenan were carrying injuries already. And if we were worried about Ryan and Sexton picking up knocks, we'd never run a training session let alone a test match.

Be grand, I'd expect nearly all of them to line out against Oz. The HIA guys probably won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

I wasn't saying that they all picked up injuries from the South Africa game. Regardless, if 4 frontline players (Sexton, Keenan, JVDF and Ryan) are out of action after the game, that pretty substantial.

It just shows the kind of toll we can expect after meeting them in the world cup, and further underlines the importance of recent efforts to build depth in key positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Hansen, Sheehan, Capuozzo and Arundell are the shortlist for the World Rugby Breakthrough Player of the Year.

I'd give it to Sheehan, but it's most likely going to the Italian.

I don't see what Capuozzo has done to warrant it at all - he's looked good, but two 6 Nations appearances (one off the bench) and a good performance in the autumn against the Aussies shouldn't be enough. Same with Arundell, has barely played a meaningful game for England.

They'll likely give it to Capuozzo for political reasons to help grow the game in Italy, but to me on merit it should go to Sheehan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Shehal

It shouldnt be but like you said for political reasons he probably will win it. If there was any justice it would go to Sheehan.

The media lost all kind of objectivity long ago, if you swapped us with France and we had the performances France had against those 2 teams those same people would be saying its a sign that Ireland are peaking too soon...the irony but they wont say the same thing about France as they appear to be everyone's 2nd team so any kind of objectivity goes out the window.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think by its very definition "breakout player" does not necessarily have to rely on extensive game time.

Sheehan was a better player potentially and certainly played consistently at a higher level, but in just two games Capuozzo had a massive impact on turning around the fortunes of Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

It's interesting that South Africa only sustained one injury in that game, whereas half of our team seems to have been decimated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭crossman47

Do you not regard Grand Slams and championships as trophies? I do - they're well worth winning in their own right as winning the world cup will be very, very difficult. I wouldn't put reaching the final, or indeed the semi final, as more important than winning either or both next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Irish Rugby doesn't seem to agree with ROCs worries anyway.

Joey has returned to Munster. No outhalf has been called up in his stead.

Joe McCarthy has completed his RTP protocols and joins up with the squad.

JOB is expected to be able to return to train tomorrow.

Aki is back(i)

Porter, Sexton, Ryan, VDF and Keenan "will be monitored across the early part of the week and re-integrated into training according to their individual management plans."

Interesting that Coombes has not been called back up.

And for the (admittedly limited) outrage Milnes call up got - he is not listed with the squad this week

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Given the fact that Henshaw lasted all of 4 minutes on Saturday , Aki being back allows him toget properly sorted.

Suspect we'll start with McCloskey and Ringrose with Aki on the bench, which probably means JOB missing out and Carbery/Crowley on the bench.

Tbh as long as Sexton and to a lesser extent Keenan is fit I think we should be fine. The rest of those players while quality players the replacement playing I don't think would be the winning or losing of the game.

Interesting that no back up 10 has been called up considering that Sexton is a doubt...that may indicate they are confident he'll be fit to play.

Yeah, agreed. My too early team prediction would be:

Keenan, Baloucoune, Ringrose, McCloskey, Hansen, Sexton, Gibson Park, Porter, Sheehan, Furlong, Beirne, Ryan, O'Mahony, VDF, Doris.

Reps: Herring, Loughman, Bealham, Henderson, Deegan, Casey, Crowley, Aki.

Potential changes to this: Timoney for VDF if he isn't healthy, possibly Henderson for Ryan with Treadwell on the bench if Ryan isn't healthy. Wouldn't shock me either if Bealham started given he was rested entirely last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Yeah you'd imagine they are confident Sexton will make it. Either that or Lowry is getting reps as backup 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Obviously there isn't really any concern over Sexton.

Expect Aki to slot straight back in but it would be very harsh on McCloskey.

Post edited by Former Former Former on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Baloucoune will need a big game I think as his chances to impress his way onto the plane for the WC are running out, assuming Lowe is back soon and Stockdale hasn't been completely jettisoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He's just never going to get a cap :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Wrong thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

At this stage Frawley is just so injury prone you'd have to wonder if he'll ever have a chance to play up to his potential. This feels never ending now. Must be immensely frustrating for him.

Real shame about Martin Moloney as well, he'd been making a good impact this season.

Advertisement