Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Thanks for that. Yep, banking everything on off shore wind again and of course the immense opportunities will completely overshadow any costs.

Mr. Martin states: "a lot of the debate on tackling climate change focuses on the costs but ignores the enormous benefits".

To which one should reply with: which debate? And if we not ignore the benefits, where is the actual cost/benefit analysis? I mean, this IS the issue. Otherwise it is hopium.

Nobody denies there are no benefits just like nobody denies there are no costs. But maybe that is a moot point. It is imo deliberate that the cost/benefit is never properly tackled as nobody in his right mind will support a majority wind/solar energy system. But you know all that by reading your many well laid out posts.

I think the main take away is this: keep pushing the Emergency button, then we can concentrate on action NOW without doing a proper cost/benefit analysis. We simply put the pesky questionnaires in the Climate Denial box and keep the public 'on target'. But again, the reality wall hits back. Im clinging to it, to keep my sanity..

From the WEF justice report:"The COVID-19 pandemic pushed 150 million people into extreme poverty. By 2030, climate change is expected to push an additional 132 million into extreme poverty."

Yes, extreme poverty due to Covid restrictions and supply chain disruptions. And yes again, 132 million or more will be pushed into extreme poverty by the same supply chain disruptions due to the current and ongoing energy crisis caused by 30 years of bad policies and multiplied by the same 'climate action' in the form of CO2 target measures meant to tackle it. Remember, there is NO energy shortage issue here. Just a blind faith in faulty reasoning without weighing pros and cons as people like Bjorn Lomborg has pointed out. A complete mind virus multiplying. Worse than Covid in its effect.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Using your figures for renewables and the UK contract for Hinkley-Cr requires SIX times the financial commitment for the same amount of electricity and will take longer to deliver. And will require billions in hidden subsides on top of that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That's genius.

And we can test it right now on the stalled onshore wind projects.We could have 5GW more onshore wind in 15 months time if we fast track it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

As I have explained to you on another thread the figures I use for renewables are not mine. They are the U.K.`s own figures for the average rolling capacity for offshore wind and offshore construction costs, which for the ESB plan are the best case scenario. You insist on sticking with Hinkley, the worst case scenario for a nuclear plant when there are much much cheaper options.

You now claim that a Hinkley would require SIX times the up front financial commitment. Just yesterday you claimed on that other thread that it would require FOUR times the financial commitment and I showed that for the 6.3 gigawatts (your figure) the ESB plan would deliver for domestic use, even a Hinkley like costed plant would still be €23 Bn cheaper than the ESB plan for offshore construction cost alone. If the costs of hydrogen for the ESB plan were included, (with nuclear hydrogen would not be required), that €23 Bn difference would increase by unknown billions.

I do not know where you are getting these billions in hidden subsidies for nuclear from. A nuclear plant will hum along for at least 60 years with a capacity in the 90% range. During that time there is the hidden cost in the ESB plan that will require 2-3 refits/replacement of turbines and twice the strike price being paid by consumers for electricity due to the ESB plan where 50% of the electricity produced would go towards hydrogen. Other than the consumer I do not see who else would be paying that.

• Advertisement

I really should know better than to engage with him, but he posts such nonsense that is so easy to show it for what it is, it`s sometimes difficult to resist the temptation.

In my defense, I look on it as a bit of public service as it keeps all those that have him on ignore up to date on his nonsense 😉

"FOUR TIMES AS MUCH ENERGY FOR A 50% LOWER UPFRONT COMMITMENT." (ie for the same financial commitment you'd get 6 times the energy) The difference is so huge there's no point in arguing about the exact magnitude except to say nuclear gets more expensive and renewables get cheaper over the time scales it takes to rollout nuclear so costs are diverging.

Hinkley-C is a 35+ year commitment. The UK will be forced to hand over money until at last 2062 for Hinkley-C. The German government had to hand billions to RWE for the early shut down of their reactors.

Renewables here are a 10 year commitment. If some thing better like power satellites or geothermal happen then we go with the best option on the market.

According to Musk StarShip would use $2m worth of fuel vs SLS costs of $2Bn a launch. That's three 0's off the cost of launching a power satellite. 10 μm silicon for solar has been done. This means an area of 1Km2 could be covered using just 10m3 of silicon. Beaming down microwave power to a "chicken wire" grid covering a farm covered in solar panels , shade tolerant crops or sheep. Won't happen today or tomorrow. It's a possible competitor for a nuclear plant with a life of 60 years.

A nuclear plant may hum along for 60 years. Or you could loose 54 of them tomorrow and only have 10 working again 11 years later. Or lose 26 of them over a six month period and lose half your power for that year. Or pay stupid money to start replacing old plant and find out that constructions cost quadruple and the delays are so long that the old reactors have to be shut down one by one and the construction projects get cancelled and delayed further and instead of 22 reactors online you have 7. ( one incident alone took out 10% of the worlds reactors for a decade so your 90% uptime is not reflective of what's happening in the real world)

Some hidden subsidies for nuclear

EDF are asking for £23.5 Bn to clean up 7 AGR's The UK's National Audit Office says this won't be enough. It's close to the original price EDF were touting for their reactors while the fanboys were shouting "LCOE" from the sidelines.

Cost of fuel repositories. Only Finland has a proper one and it's not operational yet.

Fuel. Hinkley-C will be 10 years late. A Drax worth of fossil fuel plant that could have been retired in 2017 has been kept going.

Spinning reserve for the difference between the new largest single unit on the grid and the previous biggest one. So today the UK can handle two 660MW generators going offline in a short time. 3.2GW dropping off the grid is a whole other challenge.

Rejecting renewables. Our grid will soon be able to take 95% non-synch, that leaves just 5% baseload which can be covered by hydro, biomass etc. In the US nuclear has had to pay to export power since it is so inflexible.

Meanwhile the hydrogen from wind can be sold off to other industries. It doesn't mean consumers pay twice. What is the ESB's strike price ?? Please share.

Lots of really positive points in a recent interview with Eamonn Ryan, published in the Sunday Independent today

Target of one million electric vehicles by 2030 dropped in favour of more public transport

This is fantastic in one important way,replacing 1 million vehicles with 1 million vehicles is beyond fking stupid. Instead the target should be to get 60-70% of those vehicle users into more sustainable modes, with the ones who can't switch, into EV's

Ryan and all other Green ministers, including the juniors, will stay in their posts after next month’s reshuffle,

I never thought Ryan would move but I thought some of the others might be. Good to see they'll be staying put to see out the full duration.

He spoke not of short or medium-term political ambitions, but of a much bigger project.

“We have to be in five governments in a row doing this full tilt. This is the biggest change ever, the most important historic change ever"

Well, that's the GP colours pinned to the mast. Whoever will let them continue to address climate change, will get their backing in any govt.

I have no problem with this though I do have to note that both FF and FG (but mainly FF) have been tripping over themselves trying to roll out as many environmentally positive initiatives as possible lately. Every day or two they seem to be announcing something green. It's great to see and long may it continue.

The Department of Transport is no longer focused on delivering one million EVs, but instead wants to create the infrastructure to encourage people to use public transport or cycle and walk instead. Consequently, this is likely to reduce the number of internal combustion engine vehicles on Irish roads. Cap 2023 will have an ambition that just over 30pc of the national fleet will be EVs by 2030.

There's a lot more in the article on this but to sum it up, bises, cycling and walking are where the lions share of investment is heading into the future. Pushing for a million EV's is illogical if that's the case so they are dropping to a 300,000 target.

In addition, there will be a load more rural bus routes on the way and the real Time info system is to be overhauled

And last but not least

Cap 2023, Ryan said, will also be the first government climate plan that will be “presented with the strength of the law behind it, in the sense that you have to deliver — and if you’re not delivering, as minister you have to adjust”.

Any citizen or any interested party will be able to take ministers to court if they fail to meet legally binding targets.

“We would see citizens taking action,” he said.

So that's the Agriculture Minister fkd then lol

But in all seriousness, this is what I have been saying for some time and something that many here don't understand. This stuff has incredibly strong legal standing behind it now and regardless of the TD or party, if the climate action plans are not being followed, implemented and effective, then there will be court cases and the govt will lose those cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Jaysus you spout some shite, you do know that whoever is in power can determine what is in legislation ? It can be changed at a whim. Condoms were illegal during the 80s ffs , laws change all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Sounds very Spanish Inquisition to me. Green heresy. 🤐

Yes and no

Might want to read up on how the climate action legislation has been put together, and how literally every party supported the manner in which it was structured.

Basically they all acknowledge the seriousness of the issue and its been built to avoid populist nonsense preventing actions from being done and to ensure targets are met.

You don't have to take my word for it, read up on it yourself.

Plans can be modified but only with the objective of meeting targets. If they do not support that then they will be challenged in court where the govt of the day will lose as they won't be able to show how their plans will achieve the targets.

This is LITERALLY how the current climate actions plans came to be created, the govt lost the case

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

They can just put the target at 1 tone of CO2 per year.

Yes every party agrees to it at the moment, as I said that can change at a whim. It all depends on who is in power, do you really think that legislation can be enlisted and never changed ?? Was this green law handed down by Moses on a tablet and enforced forever more by the green police. More green fantasy shite.

Like I said, go read up on it yourself, I think you will learn quite a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Spanish Inquisition is exactly where the climate head bangers want to go. With all the laws created and political agreements, they believe it is their destiny to to enforce the view they have assumed on the world. The outcome of the Duarte case will have a big impact on how these cases are interpreted by judges in future.

Climate Politics Disguised as Human Rights at "The European Climate Change Court"

The Duarte case in brief

In the Duarte case, six Portuguese minors complain to the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) about the violation of their "right to life and family life" by 33 countries that they consider to have adopted inadequate climate policies.

They formulate a number of requirements, including

(1) a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions,

(2) drastic restrictions on the export of fossil fuels,

(3) drastic measures to compensate for emissions associated with the import of products and

(4) measures to force internationally operating companies to limit the emissions of their entire production chain.

In all these areas, emissions must be reduced to zero to meet the "climate emergency". On the basis of a favourable judgement from the ECtHR, they are then able to litigate further at national level against countries that do not try hard enough to achieve these goals. The countries complained against will have no choice but to comply with the Court's ruling, as no appeal is possible

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

I have read it. Read it yourself and maybe comprehend that laws and governments change all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Is all these countries owed reparations affected directly by climate change going to go net zero too by such n such a date as well as the rest of us? Considering there the ones most affected

Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait and see 😊

It will be interesting to watch the green fanboys being replaced or ignored as the recession hits more and more. Every country will be in trouble due to the Green Agenda and cannot hold the line without a real revolution. Each country will react differently but a great reset will happen. People will rise up and demand democracy.Laws will have to be replaced. All because of reality. The Green wall will be breached unless the EU turns into a nr of Green police states with 'greenshirts' io blackshirts. It is the secret wish of many environmentalists, to be able to make people comply with their demands, by force if needed. They have no qualms about it just like the Nazis and the communists. They feel no remorse or sympathy. They are a pathetic bunch in thrall of an ideology. Time will sort them out. It's a matter of time..

• Advertisement

I dont know if i really should thank you or not. The idiocy seems to increase and has reached an interesting level of pathology. Not only in this thread but in the west in general. The degree of self righteousness is quite staggering. They seem to have totally lost the ability to reflect. The level of displayed certainty is in fact much bigger than the IPCC reports and even the ARs state. It is a very small tail wagging a huge dog. This movement has been able to weaponize a special kind of virtue and infiltrate politicians and 'celebs' to do their bidding. This is a real life disaster happening at this moment. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. We can see this playing out.

I showed clearly on the Nuclear - future for Ireland thread that rather than your Four times as much energy for a 50% lower income commitment, or your claim earlier here of it being Six times were incorrect. Best case for the ESB plan is that offshore construction alone will cost €83 Bn to provide 6.3 gigawatts (your figure) for domestic consumption. Your worst case using Hinkley would be two Hinkleys producing 6.4 gigawatts that cost €60 Bn. That is €23 Bn. cheaper than the ESB plan and doesn`t even include the costings for hydrogen.

That is the difference in costs using Hinkley as an example. From the recent agreement Poland signed to build nuclear plants, plus the prices quoted by the other companies who bid for the contract, the saving would be at least twice that with any of them.

The U.K. government will not be forced to hand over money to Hinkley until 2062. The U.K. government has a contract for difference with Hinkley where Hinkley will supply 35 years of electricity for €81 Bn. That is less than the first phase of offshore construction here for the first wave of turbines with further construction costs every time they reach their end of life.

Those future offshore costs plus hydrogen production and storage are the hidden cost of the the ESB plan. Is that more or less than the cost to decommission a nuclear plant (which was €3 Bn. according to you a few days ago if I recall correctly), providing 90+% capacity over 60 years ?

Drax is supposedly a carbon neutral supplier of electricity. The fact that is a green-washing bookkeeping scam has nothing to do with Hinkley.

The 50/50 split for the electricity produced is domestic electricity/hydrogen. The hydrogen element of the ESB plan has nothing to do with selling it off to other industries. It`s solely to generate and store hydrogen due to the intermittency and undependability of wind and as such will have to be paid for by consumers, which means consumers will be paying twice the strike price for their electricity.

Why you are asking me what that strike price will be ? I have no idea. Same as I do not know, nor does anyone else it seems, what the cost of the hydrogen part of that plan will costs. But then I am not pushing that plan. But whatever the strike price would be, the consumer would be paying double. Once for the electricity they use, plus the same again for the electricity to produce the hydrogen with the cost of the hydrogen storage on top.

You do not like nuclear. I doubt anybody does not get that at this stage, but that does not change the facts. The ESB plan is completely and utterly bonkers as a financially viable plan of reaching zero carbon emission by 2050. Or any other year. And not just financially bonkers for consumers but also for the economy.

This is what the green crowd do not get: no matter how they twist the numbers they cannot make the numbers work for them. So they have to manipulate them to get a desired outcome. And this is how a lot of proposed measures work. It was for instance not the IPCC that came out with mad statements. Instead, a group of politicians in thrall of the climate action warriors decided to ask the IPCC to examine what measures could be taken to try and limit the rise in temperature. They obliged so then politicians decided that was the way to move forward. Together with their friends at the highest level of the IPCC they were able to manipulate the statements in the AR reports in the form of the advice to governments which ran counter to many conclusions of the various IPCC reports themselves.THAT was taken as Gospel by the UN, the EU commission as THE solution. At face value. No questions asked. Then the media and celebs egged it on with weak politicians giving in to the prevailing wind. Again, tail wagging the dog. Well, reality will shift the prevailing wind at some point. The climate house of cards will fall eventually.

In the Netherlands the greens were criticising the grid operators for not putting in more investment in the grid in order for the green transition to take place. Then the grid operators asked them to present a report to outline the costs in relation to the volume needed, like any company would. They never got that. The greens are not dealing with this in a serious way but instead throw these target numbers out and tie them to possible future green tech which magically makes everything fit. Right now this is 'green hydrogen'. It is as if they are determined to stack lossy tech on another lossy tech. The dutch grid operators who know their system inside and out are scratching their heads. They are not used to deal with nonsense. They are technicians/engineers with numerical skills. Even the dutch and german engineers feel the weight of politicians on their shoulders to just, you know, make it happen. Again, manipulating numbers to reach a certain outcome will not work in practice and reality. Never. It remains a green dream turned nightmare. COP leads the way to the precipice. Mr Gutierrez is a pathetic clown leading a bunch of pumped up maniacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

That genuinely made me laugh. We don't need the million EVs any more because Eamon Ryan has decided that walking and taking the bus is a better solution. Really, who does he think he's kidding? It's barely 100 days since the government launched Zero Emission Vehicles Ireland to "lead on the delivery of the Ireland’s ambitious target under the Climate Action Plan 2021 to have 945,000 electric vehicles in the Irish fleet by 2030". Their brochure says "over the second half of 2022 the team will quickly scale to deliver on its mission". Didn't they get the memo from Ryan? It's walking and buses now.

I presume the shameless goon has realise that we're not within an asses roar of meeting the 2030 target set just last year. Quick change of plan ... now nobody gets to drive. Will be fascinating to watch the rest of the Climate Action Plan crumble over the next couple of years. It won't change Ryan and his acolytes. They'll keep on coming up with even more urgent climate emergencies. Like "storm surges in Thurles". He might want to check on what a storm surge is and why you can't get them in Thurles. For a minute I thought he was just as thick as two short planks, then I realised he's doing a comedy sketch. For his next gag he tells us how climate migrants will be coming from uninhabitable parts of the world to our little island ... which he says will also be uninhabitable! It's a wee cracker 🤣🤣🤣

I've decided to just laugh along with Eamon. I take regular breaks from late night working on the computer to listen to climate podcasts, mostly about where we're going to get the oil and gas to keep civilisation alive. A ninety kilometre round trip to a garage on the traffic-free Naas Road to buy a packet of Tayo Snax is just long enough for a decent podcast and clears the head wonderfully. Being conscious of food miles, I calculate that I burn about 50 grams of petrol per gram of Snax. It's my modest little contribution to Eamon's next emergency. (And in this case I'm not joking).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Todays Irish Independent editorial pushing smart meters with the following tags attached to the article.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭KildareP

Can we now sue Eamon for failing to meet the original 1m EV target?

• Advertisement

Big countries will enforce the laws broken by little countries as we have seen during the 2008 financial crisis. Also, if big countries run into trouble laws will be changed to protect 'stability'. It is interesting to note that the EU is relaxing its growth and stability pact rules. The members clearly see that trouble is ahead. Germany is the big canary in the coalmine. It is being choked by its own claws shutting off its oxygen supply ie, nuclear power plants..

Advertisement