Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

I’m registered with pretty much all of the online bidding platforms and while you’re partially correct, all of the platforms typically only need proof of address/ID and a copy of your mortgage approval. You do not need to include documentation on money you are being gifted etc, so it’s very light vetting. They’ve no idea whether or not you have the full finance in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Well then they have changed since last I used the platform. All that I had to do was upload a AIP document with blanked out figures, and I was granted the ability to bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭Homer

From personal experience of dealing with that crowd the word cowboys would be a component 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

The sale of my last rented house fell through because the highest bidder hadn't even gotten mortgage approval. Waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I put a house for sale in a nice part of cork city in July.

Went sale agreed within a month for 15k above asking. I accepted as buyer was a cash buyer.

Bought for 175 in 2002 and sold for 340.

Still took 3 months to close it out, solicitors live in a different world.

Wife also sold family home with her sisters. That went a bit nuts; listed at 300k and went for 55k more. Very modest bungalow where we lived for last 5 years, but in a nice area of a large prosperous town even if pretty rough ☺️

We did up the garage, for small money for a yoga studio. That seemed to drive things with lots of people valuing the extra space.

I still don't know if selling was the right option for Cork house but market wasn't exactly hot in terms of bidding and I've no insight on where market is going but rising interest rates with energy uncertainty have to be a damper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

I've put in a bid on Auctioneera and all they asked for was an email address.

I did a viewing with them in 2021. The agent who set up the view misspelled the name of the area in the email and called me "Michael" when I arrived at the appointed time (not my name). When I asked him questions regarding the property and the area, he was unable to tell me anything. IT's a charlatan organisation that is bad for buyers and sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

A bit late coming to this but I know personally young people who have left the dysfunctional nowhere to rent Ireland this year for plenty of supply, compared to Ireland, in the UK and Australia.

Unless you are in need of somewhere to stay, Ireland is a very unique property market. The 70% or so adequately housed continue to not appreciate this very unique set of circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

What is it that you think is unique about the Irish property market?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

Would agree with you, but your comments only relate to the rental market. Latest IT article reports on how bad it is in Dublin.

But in terms of house sales, starting to see consistant price changes in the order of 5-8% downwards. Also houses being listed and not getting any offers, but owners still holding out and refusing to entertain bids under asking - only lasts so long before a property becomes 'stale' as we move away from a sellers market.

EAs are finally having to do some work if they want to get sales and 'motivate' their vendors and actually follow up with prospective buyers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Dante

This sounds similar to my experience with many estate agents to be honest.

One in particular was absolutely shocking, the owner actually gave out to me for calling their advertised number on Daft during office hours. Then when I finally managed to arrange a viewing, he rushed us as he had to collect his son or some nonsense. We had all of 5 minutes to view the whole house without a word of apology.

When it comes to the integrity and behaviour of estate agents, I like to share the following story. This is anecdotal, but take it for what it is.

Back in the Celtic Tiger days, when I was a young lad, one of the men with whom I was working related the story of his buying a house in Dublin. He had just gone sale agreed on a house across the street from his parents in Dublin.  

He was happy with himself until he received a call from his father who wanted to know whether his son had pulled out of the sale. My colleague replied that he hadn't, and his dad told him that the estate agent was conducting a viewing.

Naturally words were exchanged with the agent, who made a series of excuses about how there was a mix up. This would perhaps be understandable if the agent in question had not conducted the sale for my colleague and if the house itself did not have "SALE AGREED" plastered on a sign in the front garden.

In the end, the gentleman who related this tale to me did actually get the house. The punchline is that the agent who gave him the keys was the same agent who was acting the maggot. My colleague took the keys and told the agent to get the f**k off his property immediately.

Of course, we must not make generalisations. Not all snakes are venomous, I suppose...

I'm one of the 70% adequately housed, and I get it, because my daughter is adequately housed - abroad ! No way can she come back to Ireland with the current rental disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

I’ve had varying experience with EA’s but I’m polite while not believing much of what they say. They’re not your friend.

Have had some agents completely ignore me during a viewing, others very overbearing. The worst was after bidding back and forth for a property for over a month, emails constantly when a new counter-offer was submitted and I ended up way over the asking price. Then suddenly couldn’t get a response. Then suddenly the vendors are on a weeks holiday (they weren’t as I had a viewing in an adjacent property and they were very much at home). Then suddenly they’re actually on 2 weeks holiday. Eventually after a lot of pestering the EA told me they wanted 10k more and I backed out. Absolute messers and wasted my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I had that earlier this summer, after a small bidding war we ended up the top bidder on a property at slightly over the asking price. We heard absolutely nothing from the estate agent for over a week, despite asking for an update. Eventually she comes back to us and says the other bidder has indeed pulled out but the vendor wants another 20k. Eh no, we're not bidding against ourselves and we told her this. A new bid 5k over ours then magically appeared right on time, we said no thanks and bowed out at that point. Never heard about it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

Supply. Or lack thereof. That is truly unique to Ireland when it comes to the rental market, which is where 70-80% of the under 40s adults reside.

That being said, rentals are up 33% in Dublin city from three months ago. However, this is from a small base (just under 300 to just under 400).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

Did it ever hit the PPR?

We had similar in 2021. Won the bidding at c150k over asking. Other bidder dropped out, agent ducked our calls for a week much to our confusion. Eventually sheepishly said his client wanted another €100k. We laughed. Two new bidders joined a few days later. Had all the same skepticism you did about ‘fake bids’ and were going mental, but lo and behold it hit the PPR a few months later at €300k over the asking price.

Estate agents are slimy, but I really don’t think there would be many risking their careers and the reputation of their firms by manufacturing fake bids to get themselves an extra few k in commission.

Whether a desperate seller might ask a friend to fake interest, perhaps. But that’s not on the EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

It is the dysfunction that is unique. Don't see this level of dysfunction elsewhere.

All properties->07/11/22 to 13/11/22

All Dublin

30 Price changes

24 Decreases

06 Increases

Rest of Ireland

92 Price changes

71 Decreases

21 Increases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Is it really unique though? It seems it is very difficult to find a rental in Dublin and when you do it is at a much higher price than you would like to pay. This makes it difficult to save for a deposit. But there is no requirement for the rental prices to allow room to accumulate a deposit.

Why wouldn't they? What are they risking? They control the bidding. The vendor and the buyer are completely dependent on the information supplied by the estate agent as regards offers made. The only the thing the estate agent may be risking is possibly making a loss on their gamble, but sure you win some, you lose some.

They are licensed and regulated with a set of rules to abide by.

There’s two ways that this practice could be widespread.

1. Multi million euro firms like Sherry Fitz knowingly allow their staff to ignore these rules and make ‘fake bids’ permissible in their organisations. I think this is almost impossible as it would be a matter of time before a disgruntled former employee whistleblew and got them in trouble with the PRSA. Widespread & intentional ignoring of basic rules by reputable firms is rare. You get caught eventually.
    2. Individual EAs are going rogue and flaunting the rules of their firms to earn an extra few quid. This is more plausible but then the firm would absolutely have access to data, emails etc. and so every time an individual did this they’d be risking their career.

Its just very unlikely this is happening with any regularity. It’s much much more plausible that it’s cases like my own. I got outbid. I got sour. I wanted to believe there was some underhanded dealings going on to make myself feel better. There wasn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

But there is lies the problem, the process is not transparent.

No firm is going to openly admit this and provide this data. I would agree though this is less likely in a larger firm or brand agency. Plenty of agents also working for themselves or in small firms where this is plausable and although I also don't beleive it is widespread, its all to easy to have one fake bidder against a genuine bidder in a sellers market.

When the genuine bidder can no longer match the last fake bid when they reach the top, 'fake' bidder suddenly pulls out. EA contacts the genuine bidder giving a 'second chance' if they match, otherwise going to go back to market. Genuine buyer jumps at chance because of FOMO. There is no mechanism verifying this. Anectdotal, but I know a few people who have bought in the last 2 years where this has happened and they wonder if they have overpaid as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

This was only a couple of months back so too soon for PPR now. Given the fact we never heard from her again I'd say either the bid was genuine or the vendor was just not willing to accept our bid regardless of it being over the asking price and she was chancing her arm trying to get us to match the vendor's expectations instead of looking for another buyer.

The latter happens all the time for sure but buyers do pull out all the time for real reasons. Change of heart, change in circumstance, funding falls through, survey issues.

I just believe that’s far more plausible than fake bids. One thing with committing fraud, is it usually involves the person doing it gaining huge benefit. For an EA, they’d literally get 1.5% of the benefit of their mischief and they’d have countless cases where a genuine sale falls through because of their fake bid shenanigans and costs them a boat load of time. It all just seems very far fetched to me.

Id well believe that sellers ask mates to put in fake bids on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,814 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I had exactly the same thing happen to me with Auctionera a couple of years ago.

There was a house I really wanted and I bid the asking price on Auctionera. Got into an ebay styled bidding war in the last few minutes on their website and was outbid in the end by two other bidders who far exceeded what I could bid. Sold for 75k over asking.

A few months later I got a call from Auctionera asking if I was still interested at my highest bid (about 50k over asking). I'd gone sale agreed on another property at this stage, so it was a firm 'NO', however was a bit disappointed as I'd really liked the original house and would have happily paid that at the time.

Interestingly, I saw the house again up for sale two months later, with The Property Shop instead of Auctionera this time.

Thought I'd check up on it there last month on the Property Price Register and in the end it sold for 10k UNDER the original asking price.

So I'd actually bid 60k over what it sold for back when I was caught up in the Auctionera bidding.

I'm delighted someone else outbid me as it was incredibly overpriced looking back, but at the same time annoyed as it would have been a steal to get at the final price it went for.

So yeah folks, be careful with Auctionera's online bidding and don't get caught up in the madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭byrne249

I fear a friend of mine walked into this trap. Became emotionally attached to a house. EA claimed loads of interest, had to do a 'Three Hour Open Viewing' on a Thursday afternoon. At this point I told my friend to take off work and go to this mysterious midday viewing or send someone down, unfortunately they didn't. Bidding went to 166% of asking. Friend reached their limit and pulled out but within a week the highest bidder dropped out. My advice was take it slow, take 20k-40k off the last bid since you were bidding against someone who now has no interest. Unfortunately my friend did the opposite and upped their last bid slightly just because the EA asked.

I had warned of all these tactics beforehand but it didn't wash. Happy for them to have the house but I do wonder if they will later have regrets and the current rental situation seems to have been the main motivation for buying.

It's actually worse than Ebay. On Ebay, a bid is binding!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

This again.

The PRSA have very little power/don't seem bothered enforcing what power they do have.

The checks that they actually do on firms are farcical, and are easily navigated by using GDPR as an excuse not to reveal who the bidders were.

On top of that, if someone wants to submit a complaint about an agent, they don't get to do so anonymously. All their information is given to the agent they are complaining about.

Bids should be handled by an independent body who are there to ensure legitimate bidding/bidders only.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement