Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭avfc1874

I was in school in the 70s-early 80s, and that was nearly a daily occurrence they never gave a f#ck who it hit, you just ducked,

There was always teachers who enjoyed dishing out beatings, I remember 1 who had a collection of objects in a cupboard to hit you with, I still remember them,

ruler, stick, slip on black pumps (they hurt). Tennis shoe and cane .

And the fucker used to make you pick which one you wanted to be hit with, course we never picked the one that hurt most, so they'd pick that and give you a worse beating,☹️

There was a little bollox that used to jump off a chair to get more force to hit you,and another who used to hit kids on the head with his knuckles for getting a question wrong,

It's a wonder i turned out so well 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Christian brothers 70s, for me the lay teachers were the worst, a lot of them "spoiled priests" as they called them in those days , many shouldn't have been let near a classroom and clearly hated it, they had a certain bias towards the boys from the town merchant families, us country lads would never be picked for the rugby team for instance and were often picked for menial tasks, I remember spending 2 days one time with another few "buffers" as they called us filling turf into the school turf shed, they prepared us well for the boat that's for sure, like eegits we all filled out application forms for the Gards and civil service not knowing that the vast majority of those jobs were already gone, I was glad to see the back of it in the end, I've no good memories apart from a guidance teacher who once told told me that yes the boat would be the best option for me and one gentle sad eyed Brother who brought us cycling during the summer to places of historical interest where we had a picnic or a cookout on an open fire,he taught Latin and Greek a great basis for learning new languages though that wouldn't be fashionable now and in time were dumped in the education surplus to requirements bin along with a lot of other subjects deemed unnecessary baggage to navigate today's world of tweets and short attention spans , I've loved the outdoors and all those old castles and places of historical interest ever since ... I never attended any reunions 30th or 40th, I didn't see the point, the past is another country as they say

• Like ButtersSuki did in the past, will try & keep up a record of his timesheet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Just announcedtha Vicky Phelan has died. A true Irish heroine who was badly wronged by the state. I expect RTE to go big on this today, especially Ray and Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

She was the best of us.

I hope Joe just lets people on to talk, to pay respects. We don't need to hear his personal brand of mawkishness about her passing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭squonk

Won’t someone think of de blackrock chislers! Dey haven’t had enough shows devoted to their issue yet!

joe will go to town on the misery aspect of the Vicky Phelan story. Båstard.

I always felt that Vicky was exploited by the likes of D'Arcy. Miriam O'Callaghan, etc. She was smart enough to know this, but made the most of her media presence to highlight the cervical check scandal and act as an eloquent voice for their stories. It doesn't mean that the ghouls in RTE aren't a shower of grief junkies though. Tubs at the funeral? I'd say so!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

very sad news. I think I will stick to the music. depression all round today

• Registered Users Posts: 25,212 ✭✭✭✭zell12

There's been a death

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Its a big dilemma for Joe - abuse or death?

The smart money is on death today and tomorrow followed by abuse for the rest of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,463 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

He's probably tossing as we speak, so to speak.

Edit: I meant to say tossing a coin obviously.

• JOE

VICKY RIP

Other cover-up, not just Blackrock College believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Today

Remembering Vicky Phelan along with more abuse by the Holy Ghost Fathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭squonk

in joes mind I’d say he can’t believe his luck. All pain and no lighthearted stuff like ghost buses for salt of de earth oul wans from Fi glad to write poems about. He’ll get the week out of Vicky and if it’s starting to slow down he can jump right back to hardcore descriptions of sexual abuse at 2:30pm on a weekday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Oh aye, the poems....all de bloody poems! 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 39,569 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

"Obituaries of Vicky."

Why am I not surprised?

And just for some light relief, more Blackrock fiddling.

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

A poem for Blackrock.

De priest in Blackrock touched my willy,

I told me ma but she said "don't be silly",

I later told my dad on the same day,

He just said "you better not be gay".

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Anyone who listens today deserves a medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭furiousox

Father Clint Power

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 39,569 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Well, it won't be me. I'm out.

I can see this grim fecker hanging on to this for the week.

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

I've never realized just how truly awful Joe's diction is. It's headache inducing trying to listen to him give a synopsis of his investigations to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Is it just me or does the repeated mentions of the 'Holy Ghost Fathers' make this topic sound like Harry Potter or something. Bizarre fantasy names these con artists use.

"There was no penetration" 🤑

Fcuks sake, Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

why is he not dedicating the whole show to Vicky?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Not listening, but did he give the woman who gave up her anonymity to help save potentially thousands of women across the country avoid her same fate a few seconds of airtime?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭shearforce

i'm very surprised, least she deserves...I think, strangely

• Registered Users Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Tow

No, he is back to de Holy Ghost fiddling! Nothing about de Society of Jesus who educated 2 of Joe's chiselers.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• After covering women’s issues it’s strange he wouldn’t have a recap, and an opportunity for Vicky’s friends and indeed strangers who have benefitted from her campaigning to phone in.

• Advertisement

Because we want to hear about priests and sex exploitation

Advertisement