Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

19k to spend on a car

• 12-11-2022 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,791 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

i have 19k (15k plus 4K trade in) and I’m wondering what sort of EV this would get me?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nissan Leaf 40 kWh

Renault Zoe

Hyundai Ioniq

BMW i3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You're basically looking at a Leaf40, Ioniq28 or a Zoe for those prices

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Leaf, Zoe, Ioniq, bmw i3

You won't get any of the more recent ones

Leaf and Ioniq would be my picks but I don't know your circumstances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I'd probably buy this if needing a 19 k EV immediately.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-electric-premium/32624284

With the caveat that it's now out of battery warranty due to mileage (165 k kms - warranty is only up to 160 k).

BUT if not needing a car immediately I'd wait and see what the Market does next year.

Because the MG4 brand new at 28 k is likely to impact on every 2nd hand EV up to that 28 k MG4 price.

For example there was a Peugeot e208 with 100 k kms up for 24.5 k recently.

Next year that car will be much harder to sell at that price imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,791 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Yeah good point.

The only thing is I need a car now at the moment and I don’t think any of the above would cater for my needs. (300km trips twice or three times a week- no destination charging- home charging).

In fact I don’t see any 40KWH leafs under 20k for sale?

• Advertisement

You should have said that in the OP.

Your restrictions mean an older car may not suit u less you stop for a quick too up either direction.

Here's the one I found

You'll definitely need a charge to do 300km

If the rest of your driving is under 30km then maybe a PHEV would be better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

No destination charger is killer. Could that be tackled at all? Or a diesel Outlander phev so at least some of the commute could be done on EV?

Assuming 150km each way.

Any of the above cars can do the the 150km.

Youd have to stop to complete the journey so you could do a quick stop on the way and on the way home. In and out.

Dependin on the car could be only 10 mins each way or wait and do a 20 min stop in one go.

Definitely doable but depending on how many times a week you do it, it could get tiresome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭creedp

The problem with the quick stop for a top up is that it is dependant on a charger being available. Was at Lusk services stop last night for a quick 10min top up to get home and luckily I got to the one charger (at this major M1 service station) just ahead of an Ioniq 5. Don't now how long my stop over would have been had I been a minute later. This is a regular occurrence and often there could me multiple cars waiting for the 1 charger so spending 20k on a car that can't complete a regular journey without a top up needs consideration.

• Advertisement

^^^ completely agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭joe1303l

The honest answer is €19K won’t buy you much of an EV unfortunately. You might consider stretching your budget upward on the basis you should save at least €2k a year on fuel/servicing/road tax/tolls compared to running a petrol or diesel. If you can wait a few weeks until January/February, used EV’s should be more plentiful and cheaper on forecourts. Your 4K trade in won’t really be impacted by waiting until the new year. On that basis, I’d add an e-Golf to the earlier list of suggested EV’s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

19k for an EV is going to be hardship with that sort of driving without destination and home charging.

For a phev to work you need to do more shorter journeys with the 300 km trips to increase the mpg, just your 300km trip will result in 40 mpg in an outlander phev, but if you do another 300 km (30 to 40 km a time) in electric tipping around you now have an overall average of 80 mpg.

Do you need a commute car or a family car,

only 4 seats, I think 300 km is its max on 20 kwh of electricity and a tank full of petrol which is 9 litres, you will be all the time filling up or plugging in, but you would have the option to continue on to the next charger or bring a jerry can.

A 3 pin plug would help greatly, 10 hours to charge up at home or destination with that car, for a leaf 40kw you would need 20 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I really wouldn't recommend an EV that you will need to publicly fast charge several times a week. Not with Ireland's charging network. Unless it's a Tesla and the charge locations suit you.

You need to save up a bit more or get a small loan and buy a Hyundai Kona 64kWh, it can easily do that 300km trip in winter without charging. These go from about €25k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

It sounds to me an electric isnt yet the right fit for you based on circumstances and whats available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I wouldn't do it, I've a 222 EV with 58kw battery and more range than your budget will allow and I wouldn't fancy doing that 300km trip with no charger at the end now in winter. Although I don't know my car well enough on long spins yet. It could very well do it if I back off speed a bit. The odd time maybe and I'll plan it but not 2 to 3 times a week.

I don't public charge but I sussed out the ones near me and there's always people at them. Locals without home chargers I'd imagine as it's a good bit off motorway routes so that would be a pain in the hole for you too.

Don't spend all your budget on the car and leave some for fuel would be my suggestion.

If you can sort a destination charger then it's very doable with a Leaf40

Wouldn't rely on a public charger if it can be avoided, too much chance of it being in use

If there's a lot of fast chargers along your route then it might be doable, having a few options for charging

2018/2019 Ioniq with the smallest kms you can find is probably the best option if you have to pick up a €19K EV now. You’ll have battery warranty up to 8years or 160K kms which would be worth having.

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Original ioniq 28 was 200km warranty. 2020 onwards (38kWh) was 160km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

When did they start making diesel Outlander PHEVs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Never! According to a quick Wiki to double check, don't know how that slipped in.

With 40mpg on motorway that's ruled out for the OP.

Thanks for all the input guys!

I’ve decided to go with a frugal diesel for the next few years and then hopefully there will be EV options at this price point when I have to change again.

Thanks again.

Makes sense, If you need decent range, EV’s only really an option if you can buy new or 2-3 years old. If new EV sales keep climbing, it should make for a different landscape on the used car market next time you go to change. Some good used cars coming here from Japan again to fill the gap left by Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭whizkid9

I wouldn't spend €19k on a diesel if I were you. You will lose your shirt on it.

Lots of shirts to be lost so. Not too many decent used diesels out there for less, particularly for larger cars. The real problem arises if currently ridiculously overpriced new and used EVs in this class's don't reduce to more reasonable levels when the time comes to replace these diesels.

As always the cost of change is the only metric that matters.

Why do you say that? A petrol wouldn’t have the same mpg as a diesel- and its really 15k cash (loan) and a 4K trade in.

I can’t see many decent petrols for 15k tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

If your current car is worth €4k, it can't be a bag of bolts.

Why not hold onto that until you're ready to get the EV? You'll lose less in value on that than whatever you buy to replace it.

This indeed was my plan but unfortunately I have to offload it.

• Advertisement

If you already have to get finance for €15k, it might be financially wiser to get a bigger loan and buy an EV that suits (like a €25k Kona). If you do big miles, the cost savings are substantial. You'd get 400km out of the Kona for a fiver if you are on Energia's EV plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Is the 4K trade in the price offered by a garage or just what your car is worth to sell private?

As they are different things, as could selling private up the budget slightly?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

With that sort of mileage you’d be better sticking with a petrol or diesel for the time being. The verdict is definitely still out on EV’s and how practical they will be in the future, I’m definitely waiting a few more years until we can see the lay of the land better.

That’s what a garage has offered. I could get more selling privately but I’d rather go down the trade in route.

Ah I think an EV is definitely the way forward, but it’s just out of my budget at the moment.

Id have to seriously think about something that gives Tesla like range as I don’t have destination charging (visiting isolated infrastructure around the country for example), and that just way out of my budget at the moment.

• Advertisement

There are cars with more than Tesla range for less. Kona, eNiro for example.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We have a Tesla Model 3 and a 2019 Kona, the Kona always trumps for range throughout the year.

cheapest E-Niro I can find is €41k:

Cheapest Kona is €27k:

so both of them are way over the 15k plus 4K trade in I have.

Now as unkel mentioned I could increase my loan but this increases the monthly repayment to service that which makes any monthly fuel savings questionable ?

For example:

on the 15k loan I’m repaying approx €160 a month but if I were to go for the e~niro my monthly repayment would increase to €450 pm (€290 in the difference per month!)

If I went for the Kona the loan repayment would be €280 ( €120 in the difference per month)

On top of that the Kona winter highway range seems to be only 280km which isnt great tbh.

https://ev-database.org/car/1204/Hyundai-Kona-Electric-64-kWh

Really! That’s actually interesting to know.

What would be the equivalent ICE size car for a Kona? A focus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

Im paying just over 400 euro a month for my EV. My commute is averaging 600km per week. The savings on fuel alone is just about paying the repayments. Now saying that its important to note that I'm on bord gais EV plan and only charge between 2-5am.

The more milage you are doing the more sense an EV makes. You just have to get the correct EV.

ok what size is that compared to a focus say? Bigger? smaller?

One thing to add in the calculations in the long term is that the EV will not depreciate to 0 immediately after you have paid for it. And a bigger battery car will most likely stay usable for you for longer before the inevitable battery degradation kicks in. By taking a small additional monthly hit now means you will most likely get your money back in the other end.

Cheaper insurance.

cheaper tax

lower or no services

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why pay in cash. Would you consider financing it?

15k is a credit union loan and 4K is the trade in value I was offered for the current car.

Petrol is cheaper and likely to continue for a while as diesel production is down

The old wisdom that diesel is more fuel efficient has largely gone up in smoke. Petrol engines have improved over the past 10 years to the point that they're as almost efficient as diesels now

But bigger, SUV styling. Think VW T-Roc, Ford Puma or Toyota Yaris chunky edition

Height seems to be the only dimension that the Kona is bigger than the focus. Handy for entering / exiting. Roomy enough at front but pretty compact in back and boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

The Kona is built on the i20 platform (think Ford Fiesta-ish footprint) and is nowhere near the same size internally as a Ford Focus. As said, the boot is more compact and legroom in the rear is lacking, in my experience. All depends on what you need. If, like me, you don't usually have anyone in the rear seats then it won't be much of an issue. If, on the other hand, you are hauling children in and out of the back and have child seats, then I would be looking at something other than a Kona.

A €19k budget is not going to yield a 300km range EV in the current market but, as others have mentioned, you could potentially get yourself into a PHEV. There is the Outlander, Ioniq, Niro, Xceed and a few others I cannot think of right now available as plugin hybrids (they may or may not all be within the budget though). Any of those vehicles would negate the need for destination charging and would happily chug about town for at least 30km on electricity from home (some could even exceed 50km). Also, don't ignore the myriad of hybrid vehicles available out there as well. I don't know what you are driving now but, in my view, the hybrid driving/owning experience is very good, and you will have your pick of models out there for your budget.

• Advertisement
Advertisement