Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What hobbies do you have?

Options
  • 13-11-2022 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭

As the title suggests. Wife was asking me what do I want for Christmas. I don’t really need anything so I was struggling for an answer. She then turned around without any malice and said that I don’t have many hobbies.

And that got me thinking that since my firstborn came along in 2014 I haven’t really thought about it. But now the kids are a bit older they don’t need me as much. My problem is tho I don’t even know where to start, I’m 36 so I think extreme sports might be a stretch.

so my question to you lads are, what do normal not yet middle age men do for hobbies?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Golf, try it and if you like it it’s a great pastime. If it’s not for you then you could try something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's easy enough to start a simple hobby that doesn't involve a large outlay in gear that may be wasted if you don't take to it. Even hill walking or Bird watching. Have you a garden you could start getting more in to? Had you ever any interest in crafts like sketching or woodwork? Would a new bike or even an electric bike interest you?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Interesting101

Would you have hobbies / interest before the children ??

Some of it might depend on where you live and what you actually have access to.

I think some people have a fear about trying something because they won't be great at it to start ....Fitness etc is about taking it slowly to start and building it up so you enjoy it more.

You could try a few lessons at a golf driving range before you get fully going.

Tennis /Squash / Badminton all offer singles or doubles options.

As mentioned a bike for Greenway or looked to join a casual cycling club.

Running clubs or park runs.

Maybe gaming / console online.

Music / Books Clubs / Board games clubs.

Card games.

Most of the above will have local or online options available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭djdunny

You’re never too old for Lego 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 20,761 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Very interested in this thread ,

Iv a few hobbies myself but would love some none sporting ones , Pushing 40 now & while i enjoy playing 5 aside , the gym & some rolling . It takes its toll on the body ,

Id love something that you don't have to leave home for model building or something like that,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 LEGOJim1989

So what's stopping you to get going 😁😁. If your into sports you could start out by buying a stadium model of your favourite team.....Even a large jigsaw !!

Or maybe an F1 car ......There really are so many things out there these days.

Quick search on Google or You Tube and you'll see what's around.

Your never too old for a bit of fun and good if you have older kids to do something together 😜😜😜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Sweet Talkin Romeo

poster was half-joking i reckon 🤣🤣

doubt he expected to be questioned on it by an expert 😁😁

Just another couple one to add.....Play online Chess or even attempt to learn a new language with the apps they put there.

• Advertisement

expert indeed tbs !

going by your Boards' handle, i'd say ya know plenty about it LEGO 🙂🙂 👊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GavPJ

I'm curious too, need something to do on a Sunday.

how about 'People-Watching' OP , if that'd interest ya 😃

you'd need a car tho, i reckon,,, just park up somewhere and, well, 'watch'

pretty boring tbs, but if i had a car, i'd do it meself, from time to time 🤣 no 'practice' needed, and zero involvement from others/schedules to keep etc,,

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Elon Musk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Growing my own veg - last year was the first year I properly got into it. Eating my own produce all summer (still have tomatoes and chillis for weeks) is genuinely one of the most rewarding and satisfying things I’ve ever done. Good for both the body and the mind.

Keep tropical fish - have been at this 10+ years and am at the point where I’m able to put very little into their care but still very enjoyable. Great excitement also when you’ve an idea for a new tank/species and get to plan the aquascaping as it were.

Cooking

Reading

Fishing

Swimming (easier on the joints than the old rugby!)

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Motorbikes FTW.

Maybe a few lessons for Christmas?

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

Photography

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

Mountain biking - depending on where you live. It hasn't got to be insane downhill or anything, but great to get out in the mountains. Lots of clubs have beginner days, and the sport as a whole is very welcoming to newcomers.

Other than that I enjoy DIY, basic car and all bike maintenance, travelling. Looking to do bit more 3d Printing now too - good hobby to start and a nice mix of technical / creativity if you're looking for something like that.

There is so many things to do in the world that it is indeed hard to know where to start looking - and also where to start advising you or recommending anything. Without knowing anything about you I am not sure where to even start. What makes you you and what do you enjoy or like in life?

It helps to work out what you want to get out of it. Physical health? Just a passing of time? Well being? Social Interaction or human connection? Making the world a better place? New or improved skills? Self defense? Making or saving money? Something else?

Also I am not sure that the kids do not need you so much. Do I understand correctly they are 8 and under? That is a great time to supplement their education - get them and keep them excited in science and the world - or take up hobbies with them.

For example I do Jujitsu and other martials arts with all my kids since they were toddlers. My oldest is 12 now. She is really skilled at it. We really bond over it. And she has a life skill now in self defense, striking, knife combat, and more.

I also train her on how to use rifles and guns. Hunting. Fishing. Gardening and keeping animals for meat and eggs. Growing herbs and veg. Finding shared hobbies with your kids can really promote connection and relationship with them.

What also does not help is that there are things we might not expect to enjoy - or might expect to even dislike - that when we try it we turn out to really love it. For example I discovered archery and horse riding fairly recently. They have totally captured me. I even do both together now which is quite difficult and challenging. When I first discovered Jujitsu and Capoeira 15 or so years ago I was not expecting to take to them as deeply as I did either.

So simply trying new things - martials arts, dance, animals, sport or anything else - can be a hobby in and of itself. Sample everything you can a couple of times and just see what grabs you. The quest to find a hobby can itself be a fun hobby.

Serious answer thought, turn going to the gym or cycling or a swim into a hobby at the weekends, like a long early session then you'll feel amazing all day and not guilty about doing nothing all afternoon!

It's also a great way to catch up on podcasts, audiobooks, music and 'turn off' the world for me with some headphones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm retired, albeit quite young still at 43. Filling time was hard, so I returned to Uni and am undertaking a degree in Criminal justice. That fills a good bit but even at that I still have a lot of time lying idle.

Hobby wise, I am an Aviation nut and from models, books and friends in that sphere another wedge of time is taken up.

I have a longstanding interest in AV and have spent both time and money on that. My wife doesn't know the difference between OLED and LED, Dolby and Stereo and doesn't care for the quality of a satellite stream Vs IPTV 😉 but I do and our sitting room set up reflects that. I'd have a bigger TV in there too but my Mrs is adamant that nothing more than 55" goes in there 😟 so the 70" is in the Mancave😉

My son and I share an interest in Comic Collectibles and we have a decent collection that we often trade in. His taste is towards marvel and mine is 2000ad. All nicely displayed in our ManCave

I have other hobbies that all revolve around tech and the spectre of a Watch collection hangs over all the rest 😂

I can't partake in sport anymore due to a medical condition but played rugby up to my late 30's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Ask her for a 12 month Tinder subscription. That'll put her back her box.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Photography

Health and fitness / The Gym

PS4.. soon to be upgraded to PS5

Travelling

Music… playing, listening / gig going

Film… IFI member, Netflix subscription

eating out… once or twice a week.

OO Scale Model Railway. 4 CIE logo'd Murphy Models locomotives, complete Craven set except for Generator van, complete RPSI set from murphymodels bachmann. 3 steam engines and a Coca Cola Christmas loco. Irish layout, based in early 80's time period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭victor8600

My normal hobbies are: Beekeeping, Hiking / hillwalking, Reading Sci-Fi and modern novels, Computer games.

But you do not have to have hobbies just because your wife pointed out the lack thereof. Some people are born to rest. I have an acquaintance like that. We took him fishing to a river once, he found a quiet spot and dozed off, not even sunbathing, just resting under a tree. Think about what you would like to do, and if the answer is nothing, it is a valid hobby choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭zg3409

Classic car or modern sports car ownership. There are meets at least once a month in Dublin, often dozens of meets nationwide during the summer in every county. There are specific Facebook groups for every make and model car and parts can be bought online. There are winter real world groups and clubs and special sections on boards.ie

Even watching films can be a hobby, at home or going to cinema.

Drinking is a popular hobby and many other hobbies have a big drinking side.

Cycling clubs are very popular recently with middle aged men due to lockdowns and health benefits.

Gyms are popular.

Sea swimming daily or on weekends are happening in every town even in winter.

Volunteering in other clubs particularly clubs that need parents to help with kids clubs such as sports clubs, scouts, Irish dancing etc.

Charities are always looking for help such as st Vincent de Paul, delivering meals on wheels, fundraising etc. Most charities have needs for bodies to help etc.

You can volunteer in old folk homes.

Travelling with or without partner or family may be fun. Some clubs travel to events in Ireland or abroad.

The question you need to ask is what might make me happy. Try something that aligns with your free time such as evening clubs or local weekend clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,974 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Love lego, working on ghostbusters ecto 1 at the moment.

Jigsaws are great for relaxing. You can get some awesome 1000 piece ones on the likes of Zavvi that have the artwork from movies like Jaws or The Thing, I've a couple set aside for Christmas.

Reading is an obvious one, particularly biographies.

I also collect and trade movie stuff, particularly horror stuff like posters, autographs and limited edition releases of particular movies.

Also recently started collecting NECA figures, mainly horror movie stuff but also more mainstream like the Hateful 8.

I have a playstation 5 and enjoy gaming when I can get the TV to myself.

When I'm not being a lazy hure I do love going for a cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Walking, playing a bit of music, gardening and growing stuff, woodwork, used to make a bit of booze - might get back to it yet, swimming outdoors in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Kurooi

I mostly play video games and board games as entertainent, read or listen to music. Not stuff I'd call a hobby more like past times.

I have taken to photography recently, was surprised how balanced the hobby it is. I mostly shoot wildlife. Lots of nature walks, motivation to get up early catch good weather. But then there is plenty to do at home, just taking care of gear, watching tutorials, researching places, sorting photos, editing, you can enjoy a bit of social media or join a club. Nice to have something like that to fall back on, bit of a zen no stress activity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

I used to play alot of golf, loved it but when kids came along etc.

Now I love cycling, can go for a quick spin or nice long leisurely ride + the health benefits.

Go for a decent walk a couple of times a week.

Nintendo switch with the kids (or alone😁) passes a nasty outside evening.

Plenty of hikes also with the family when weather permits, hills/forests/coast.

Can boards.ie be a hobbyy🤔😜

Advertisement