Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,884 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Foley and Donnelly should not be reappointed under Varadkar

Hell no, but it won't be up to Leo it'll be up to Micheal who gets the FF cabinet seats.

The FF front bench really is a complete vacuum of lack of political talent so who else is he going to pick!

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Government ministers and the Taoiseach stoking a lot of anger in their online condolences to Vicky Phelan's family.

A bit of acceptance of blame would have been appreciated. But clearly they have been advised to do otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The Twitterati disgracing themselves again by making it about the government rather than Vicky?

If I recall correctly, Leo Varadkar issued a State apology some years ago. Maybe you and the nasties on Twitter have forgotten that.

Making it about those responsible for a large part of what they went through.

Change....very little. Action...even less. Accountability...zero.

In 2020, AFTER Leo's apology Vicky said the Cervical Check Tribunal 'did not achieve it's purpose'. Let down again in other words.

“I am here to tell you now, while I still can, that I don't want your apologies.

I don't want your tributes.

I don't want your aide de camp at my funeral.

I don't want your accolades or your broken promises.

I want action.

I want change.

I want accountability.

And I want to see it happen while I am still alive, not after I am dead.”

Vicky Phelan July, 2020

Will you ever have some dignity, and stop trying to start another row as a woman has just died.

"Thanks to her tireless efforts, despite the terrible personal toll she herself had to carry, so many women's lives have been protected, and will be protected in the future."

President Higgins has called it, she did achieve many things, there has been change. You are selectively exploiting a victim for political reasons again.

• Advertisement

“I am here to tell you now, while I still can, that I don't want your apologies.

I don't want your tributes.

I don't want your aide de camp at my funeral.

I don't want your accolades or your broken promises.

I want action.

I want change.

I want accountability.

And I want to see it happen while I am still alive, not after I am dead.”

Vicky Phelan July, 2020

She failed because of government resistence to 'taking action, changing and refusal to be accountable'.

I am not selecting her, the failure of this and previous governments and the HSE 'selected' her and many others. That is the tragedy here.

I am not dignifying your victim exploitation with a response. Plenty of time to dig through old quotes and see where progress has been made in the days ahead to respond to your simplistic inaccurate narrative but today isn't the day.

• A contemptible post.

An apology is sufficient?

Fuck an apology, state or otherwise.

It's worth the square root of **** all unless its followed by change and accountability.

The "Twitterari" are merely upholding Vicky's wishes and holding the government's feet to the fire. If it was up to you and FFG the whole lot would be swept under the carpet and the victims would be left to float in the wind.

Well said, a valiant attempt was made to cover this up and only for this woman's refusal to be silenced it would still be under wraps. We are seeing another attempt to silence here.

• Spot on, Francie.

The attempted coverup is yet another national shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Commoner

The media do highlight the large amount of US donors to Sinn Féin, this means Sinn Féin are heavily influenced by their largest donors in the US - a problem if Sinn Féin are in Government here because our domestic and foreign policies would be dictated by Sinn Féin's donors in the US who we know nothing about.

All parties receive donations.

Why do you assume donations buy you 'influence'? I donate to things all the time, it doesn't buy me any influence in the organisation I donate to.

No party receives as many donations as Sinn Fein and no other party hides them in the North away from the eyes of SIPO. The legacy from the UK was a prime example.

What have they hidden?

SIPO know what they did because SF told them.

What mechanism was used to gauge the influence US donators had on FF and FG and others? Maybe that can be used to assess the influence being exerted on the Shinners?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

We don't know what they've hidden. If we knew, it wouldn't be hidden. That's what "hidden" means.

The point is that NI rules on the disclosure of political donations and on the amounts that can be donated are much, much laxer than in IRL (or GB; that's why a million-dollar donation to fund Brexit ads running in GB newspapers was channelled through the DUP — remember?) As SF is organised both north and south of the border, it has the opportunity to accept donations that could not be accepted in IRL, and to evade scrutiny of its funding sources by routing them through NI rather than IRL. These opportunities are not available to FF, FG, etc, so we know much more about their funding than we do about SF's.

You are assumng 'evasion' and 'hiding' here though. The fact remains that SF are a party in two jurisictions and as far as I know have not fallen foul of any of the scutinising bodiies in a major way.

Also, it wasn't always the case that SF recieved more in donations. FF recieved 3 times more in a report from 2015. FG more in 2018

SIPO's arms have been tied on this issue too, by successive governments. The use of accounting units (of which FG and FF have vastly more than SF) makes it difficult for them to ascertain where the funds are coming from'. Quelle surprise some might say.

This makes it difficult for the Commission to ascertain the source of monies held in the political donation accounts of accounting units. 

That only proves the point being made. Those disclosures relate only to donations in the South, not in the North. Nobody knows how much is donated in the North because it is hidden.

Wrong.

1 (electoralcommission.org.uk)

The problem is that all parties can hide where their donations are coming from in both jurisdictions due to lax and unenforced regulations laid down by the respective governments.

Here, we know that SIPO have been calling for more powers for years and the government has resisted. One wonders why and one could do the same as you and insinuate to suit a political agenda, but one wouldn't, as one has no evidence or back up to make that claim.

Heather's letter writing in the spotlight again.

Curiously Heather is out this morning denying something the article never claimed.

The boom is back...for some. The rest of us will just meekly pay the bill they helped create.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

This is a mistake.

Bankers did not prove that good before the bust they created, so what is different now?

The high pay and large bonuses only go to those who are overpaid anyway.

Related question - Why do billionaires always want more? When is enough, enough - and how much would that be?

Smacks of nominating peers in the HoC when a PM goes, did Paschal, in one of his final acts as Finance Minister, sucumb to former FG minister Brian Hayes persisent lobbying for this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Related question - Why do billionaires always want more? When is enough, enough - and how much would that be?

I'd imagine for some it's just in their nature - if it wasn't they'd never have become billionaires.

And just like a footballer who isn't happy with just one trophy these billionaires are similarly driven and competitive.

Genealogy Forum Mod

The timing of this is really really bad. At a time when the ordinary people of Iran need support we reach out the hand to the regime. It's a bit reminiscent of Coveney glad handing Labrov for a vote at the UN in the full knowledge they had invaded Ukraine and annexed Crimea.

No fan of Flanagan or Doherty but they is right here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,609 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Well, its' better than being in bed with Lavrov and Putin, which the main opposition party was for many a year.

Remember the times they voted AGAINST sanctions for Russia after Salsbury? The refused to believe Interpol, and the EU's intelligence that Russia was responsible for Salsbury.

Fun times. Since the invasion, they promptly deleted years of press releases hoping to hide their past deeds, like their bothers the PIRA burying the bodies of McConville and Co.

Anyway, back to Iran, yes I would agree that the embassy should not be reopened. A shame Doherty is only coming around to the fact there are oppressive regimes in the world. Didn't he stand shoulder to shoulder with a number of Central and South American Tyrants?

Stones, and glass houses come to mind. When it comes to Iran and Russia, best they STFU for a few years in the hope people forget that they stood with these regimes and protected them in the EU parliament for many many years.

Looking for votes from Russia, funneling their money through our banking system etc is 'being in bed' in a practical way with Russia.

Opening an embassy again in a country that is in turmoil is supporting that regime and at best is the first steps in 'climbing into bed' in a practical way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,609 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Yet Russia did not vote for Ireland be on the UNSC, oddly enough. You seem to think its a trump card, but its not. Its a piss poor attempt to say 'Look over there!'.

Stones and glass house Francie. Your past staunch defence of Russian Imperialism and aggression to the West is well recorded and documented on this forum. Best not get me riled up to dig out your quotes on this matter ;)

• Advertisement

Its a piss poor attempt to say 'Look over there!'.

Says a poster who answered a post about Simon Coveney with 'but SF'. 😁😁

Not sure what you think Russia not responding to the fawning request for a vote means. It surely doesn't negate the inherent hypocrisy.

Advertisement